How to prepare for a long trip? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prepare for a long trip?

Old 05-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Freshman User

WoodHacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question How to prepare for a long trip?

I'm planning a family (daughter, myself & dog) trip from Washington State to Ohio and debating which truck to drive. Either way, I plan to pull a small trailer loaded with small chainsaw carvings in hopes of selling a few to pay my trip expenses.

For reasons of comfort and space, I'd prefer to take my F-250 rather than my Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma has a newly rebuilt engine and has always been a great traveler but, in spite of it's 4 cylinder engine, it doesn't get better enough mileage to cancel out the benefits of a larger truck...

So, with 260k miles on my F-250, what should I check, replace, or carry along to ensure my trip isn't cut short with expensive repairs?

Naturally filters and belts are on my do/check list. Was also thinking of the cam potion sensor since I've never replaced that. Brakes need bleeding.

What else OR should I not depend on my 7.3 for a 5,000 trip?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Senior User

Karlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FYI I have a Tacoma Pre Runner 2x4 3.4L V6. It rarely gets over 19 mpg.
I just did a little run 300 Miles one way. I took a spare CPS, fuel pump& filter, misc tools and fluids. Blue tooth OBDII reader and torque pro and a tab. My truck is at 230K. Why would your brakes need bleeding?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlow View Post
Why would your brakes need bleeding?
Because they need that whether I go or not. Great braking power on the first push, sometimes on the second, requires both feet on the third.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Posting Guru

DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
Change oil and filter if due or close. Buy an oem CPS, fuel filter, a new belt, and stuff the necessary tools to do the roadside work to replace them.

If the truck is in good running order, don't replace anything. Just take the new parts with you and use as needed (kinda like having a bank account).

Drop your spare if it's under the rig so it gets lubed, inspected and exercised.

I'd be more worried about the trailer being top condition than the truck. Go thru the wheel bearings and relube/pack and check lighting.

Bottled water (extra beer for me), couple of snickers bars, and a lighter.

That's how Michiganders roll.

I've seen alot of people overwhelm themselves by over preparing and causing they're own problems by replacing things that were in good order only to find out the damage was done by doing the prep with untried parts.

You'll be fine!! Have fun and good luck woodchuck!!

Denny
Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Freshman User

In case I'm sounding paranoid to anyone, the last trip I took ended 100 miles later when a high pressure oil hose came loose in a mountain pass, on a Sunday. The first towing company I called asked me (nicely) to call someone else.

BTW, the culprit was the connector where the hose connects to the head. Not the hose.

Maybe I should buy one of those 'pickle fork' tools for removing those high pressure hoses?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Senior User

I would be more concerned about the brakes. If there were air in the system, the should be soft on the first stroke and get harder as you pump. Yours are just the opposite. I have no history with these hydro boost brake systems. I just know mine are soft when you just start her up, but are hard by the time I get to the end of the driveway.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I agree with not replacing too much stuff. I have almost 330K on the clock and I wouldn't hesitate to jump in right now and do a cross-country trip. However - I've been maintaining my truck since I bought it. If high pressure hoses are your concern, both HPOP hoses to the heads are a quick replacement, and they are likely due anyway. Another hose that's due is the high pressure hose coming out of the power steering pump. Remember - it doesn't use power steering fluid, it uses Mercon V. A fresh air/fuel filter and oil change is one of my moves before a long haul.

Get the brakes to 100% obviously... the mountain passes will get you on the first third of the trip.

I sold my truck that was the predecessor to the Tacoma to buy my Superduty. I have no regrets on the trade up - the big rig is way more comfortable on long hauls, and there's no penalty on the price of fuel.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
A couple of years ago we took our truck (had 230,000 miles), 30 foot travel trailer and 2 dogs fully loaded from GA to Seattle and back. I made sure the tires including spare were good, sensors were good, had tools to complete most tasks and roadside assistance for the truck and trailer.

Other than that, just go and have fun.

If there is something at the top of your list that needs to be done, I think you would have already done it. Maybe just put a fresh set of oil and check all the fluids a week or so ahead of time. Don't wait until the last minute.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Post Fiend

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Thanks for starting this thread. Excellent timing for me as well.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Senior User

CousinCarl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. Excellent timing for me as well.
For me as well. Memorial day weekend heading your way to Alabama.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Senior User

CousinCarl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Buy an oem CPS
Whats the general consensus on these now? Blue? black? gray?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Post Fiend

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
I'm running the bluish gray unit which has the purple o-ring. If I recall, they run about as well as the original black units but also have some type of "protection" built into them to minimize the potential for a dramatic engine shut off scenario which can create a quite disturbing scenario if hauling/towing heavy in traffic when it fails and the engine suddenly cuts off. I believe it's technically for the OBS trucks, but some references (like on Clay's site) call it a "fit" for '94-'03, even though Amazon's fit-check app will not agree with that.

The Ford part number for that particular version is F4TZ12K073C.

Clay has them for about $22, and Amazon has them for about $24. I just ordered a spare for myself, and also went ahead and got a spare IPS and the Lisle IPR removal socket. These will all go into my tool bag in the truck which needs to be cleaned out and "refreshed" anyway.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Senior User

You might as well add the IPR rebuild kit as well, it's cheep.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Post Fiend

For me, the IPR rebuild kit is not something I want to fool with on the road. My own current IPR has a little more than 3 years on it at this point (only about 25K miles), and the IPR it replaced was not misbehaving when I replaced it, so the "old" one rides in my bag as a ready-to-install proven spare.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Elder User

SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree with others about not replacing things that aren't broken. But, if your upper rad hose runs through the serpentine belt, that I'd change to the one that doesn't. That way if you loose your belt, it's a simple swap on the highway.