How to prepare for a long trip? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prepare for a long trip?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Posting Guru

Jarrett Campbell is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I carry an IDM, PCM, CPS, IPR, EBP, HPOP lines, Vac pump, Valve cover gaskets, fluids, filters, serp belt, and every tool I have ever needed to do any work on the truck.

I realize that I am way overcomplicating things, but I get so much crap from my friends every time I get a tow that I try to carry everything that could side line me.

I have had a valve cover gasket, CPS, blown HPOP line, and a trans failure sideline me before, so I carry all those things (and keep up on my trans maintenance), and I try to learn from others' experiences with all those other things.

Also keep in mind that I am about to be embarking on a cross country move from Texas to North Dakota in which I will drive from Dallas to Williston and back TWICE. There are some pretty rural sections in that drive so I want to be able to get myself back on the road if at all possible.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Junior User

Millinex is starting off with a positive reputation.
I carry a tool box with most tools to fix most things, a cps, and some extra fluids. If you're coming up on an oil change, go ahead and get it done now.. otherwise just drive.

Just did 3k miles on my 300k mile truck in 48 hours and 0 problems.. I make that 3k drive every other month and never worry about anything, just hit the pedal.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Another cautionary tale

Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.
I would recommend a spare serpentine belt and tentioner(s) just in case, check all usual items for wear and tear, don't fix it if it is not broken…cps spare too, my truck has 455,000+ miles on it and I would not hesitate to hop in and road trip with either of the dogs or family…
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Freshman User

WoodHacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting ready...

Getting ready for that trip!
I've changed oil & filter, fuel and air filters, checked transmission fluid, vacuumed and flushed the pwr steering pump, and pulled out the spare and checked it (oiled the cable). Brake pads were getting thin so replaced those.

After changing the brake pads, my already iffy brake pedal went to the floor Consulting with an experienced mechanic led to a bad master cylinder diagnosis which is a shame since the current one is less than 3 years old. That will arrive at NAPA tomorrow.

I bought and will carry the Gates kit of serpentine belt and hoses which will allow future replacement without removing the upper radiator hose.
Also bought the ScanTool OBDLink MX Wi-Fi to check codes and entertain the passenger.

Fluids (motor oil, brake, atf, coolant) will all go in the tool box along with a spare headlight.

Have I over looked anything critical?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Posting Guru

Make sure and get that bluetooth adapter working before you're on the road. Sometimes they take tweaking to get working properly.

IDM and CPS spares are always a good thing.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell View Post
Make sure and get that bluetooth adapter working before you're on the road. Sometimes they take tweaking to get working properly.

IDM and CPS spares are always a good thing.
Thanks for the tip.
Just returned from the dealer. A guy bought their last 2 CPS before I got in there

Have to look up IDM to see that that is.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Posting Guru

Injector Driver Module.

It is a little computer looking thing on the drivers side fender (at least on the OBS trucks). The only reason I carry one is that it can crap out with no warning and leave you stranded. It would be a good thing to carry, but not necessary. CPS however would be a very good thing to get. OEM Motorcraft or IH only. Check your local International dealer for one. Have your VIN handy
Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM
It's a Van Gogh

aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodHacker View Post
Also bought the ScanTool OBDLink MX Wi-Fi to check codes and entertain the passenger.
Don't let the passenger scan for codes while you're driving. Usually kills the engine. Restarts fine but not a good situation.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
I carry an IDM, PCM, CPS, IPR, EBP, HPOP lines, Vac pump, Valve cover gaskets, fluids, filters, serp belt, and every tool I have ever needed to do any work on the truck.
Speaking of HPOP lines, where can I buy that "pickle fork" tool used to remove the lines? Local NAPA or at the dealer?

FYI, when I had a HPOP disaster, the actual problem was the $20 connector that screws into the head. Which I discovered when my new hose blew off
Old 09-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Don't let the passenger scan for codes while you're driving. Usually kills the engine. Restarts fine but not a good situation.
Hadn't even thought of that!
On Youtube I saw all the pretty gauges and dials on the iPad screen. Just like a raccoon, I had to have 'em. LOL
Old 09-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Posting Guru

SGnAZ has a very good reputation on FTE.SGnAZ has a very good reputation on FTE.SGnAZ has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodHacker View Post
Speaking of HPOP lines, where can I buy that "pickle fork" tool used to remove the lines? Local NAPA or at the dealer?

FYI, when I had a HPOP disaster, the actual problem was the $20 connector that screws into the head. Which I discovered when my new hose blew off
#8-6595 HPOP Hose Quick Release Tool - High Pressure Oil Pump - 1999-2003 Ford 7.3L
Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
You win the "Understatement Award" for this thread.

I received the OBDLink MX today and am not yet impressed. I tried the 'included' software on iPhone and iPad. Within an hour I had bought ForScan.
It looks nice but doesn't work (just like my first wife).
Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Freshman User

BRAKES

I have wonderful braking power now New pads, new master cylinder, flushed power steering pump. Good to go on that point.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
Haven't kept up with the whole thread. But why not go ahead and replace the serp and hoses? Quick and easy work in the driveway, pretty tough job on the side of the highway with a hot engine and needing 6 gallons of coolant.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlepprock250 View Post
Haven't kept up with the whole thread. But why not go ahead and replace the serp and hoses? Quick and easy work in the driveway, pretty tough job on the side of the highway with a hot engine and needing 6 gallons of coolant.
Serpentine belt was replaced less than 2 years ago AND some responses were to not fix things which were not yet broken. Hoses are looking pretty good so far so I'm not anxious about them.