1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Stainless prebent brake line kit for crew cab?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Stainless prebent brake line kit for crew cab?

I see stainless brake line kits listed at Dennis Carpenter, NPD, and LMC. They mention either LB or SB, but only SC or CC for 95 in NPD. Anyone know if there are prebent complete kits made for crew cabs? Specifically an '86 crew cab?

I'm chasing a slow leak in my rear brake circuit which I think is most likely the wheel cylinders I replaced last year (will inspect this weekend) as I don't see anything wet except around the master cylinder which I suspect is the gasket for the cap leaking a bit from fluid sloshing around. I have all new front hoses ready to go on and am picking up a rear hose but I'd also like to replace the (not original) line to the rear brakes which looks alright I guess but is poorly routed.

Maybe of relevance is appears to be the original hard line off the proportioning valve into a union and a single line from there back to the hose to the axle. Looks to have originally been two pieces, so maybe Ford just altered the length of the front section (with oddball 3/16" line to large thread fitting) from teh proportioning valve depending on frame length, with the rear section remaining the same? If so I could use an off the shelf stainless kit and just make a new front section reusing the odd sized fitting? Trying to avoid making a bunch of double flares.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Check out my thread on Inline Tube. And then find out who makes the stuff that's being sold. If it is Inline Tube I strongly recommend you pass.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:39 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,101 Likes on 1,790 Posts
I am not a big fan of the SS brake lines.
I have heard too many stories of them not sealing and leaking no mater how tight they get the fittings. This is because the SS is harder so it is harder to make the flares and come out right and then they will not compress to seal.

With that said and if me I would get a normal line kit for a LB truck and buy a section to fill in the center under the doors as it will be a straight section.

Then again I am cheap so I would buy 20ft of cop/nic line, handful of fittings (as needed) pull out the flare and bending tools and make my own.
I would replace all the rubber hoses being I had the system open and need to bleed the system.
Dave ----

Old 05-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
It's not being cheap buying the nickel/copper line and making your own. It's being practical and trying to get the job done so the truck is back on the road. I have done at least 5 brake line redo's on different vehicles, at least 3 times on these trucks. The problem is if you did get the original style line all in one or two pieces, you would have to take the truck all apart to install it. Snaking a long line by the fuel switching valve, gas tank, and through all those frame braces is not easy, pretty much impossible without taking some of that stuff off and out of the way.

I have found going to the rear in 3 pieces seems to be the best. I put a piece of tape over the end of a 60 inch piece that is pre-flared, and snake it in behind the gas tank. I then get a shorter piece and put the union to the rear of the gas tank where I can get to it, and bend it up over the frame hump to the rear line. I then get another short piece where the union will be in front of the tank, and run it up to the master cylinder.

The copper nickel line they have now is great. It does not rust, and it's so soft and pliable, it's almost like running wire when you are snaking it through the frame. You are correct, you probably will have to cut the end at the master cylinder and re-use the old nut, but the copper nickel double flares very easily. If you did not want to do that, you could see if they have a adapter fitting. They probably do, but it's pretty confusing to find the right one. I know a lot of Ford trucks also need a adapter or re-flare on one side of the axle tee. Leave it to Ford to make things difficult.