1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Anyone successfully install long tubes on a 79 302 c6 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:15 AM
Capri_nut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone successfully install long tubes on a 79 302 c6 2wd?

I've been searching for a while now and I know alot of guys have good success with the summit, and headman long tubes when it comes to the 302 c4 combo. But has anyone found headers that actaully fit the 302 C6 combo on a 2wd truck? Also to complicate my life even more I have the dual fuel takes so I'd like to run the 2.5" pipes off the headers to Y pipe with a single 3" pipe back to a big muffler with a single 3" over the axel to a twin tip like the old 79 mustangs had....

I can take any pics of the truck as needed to help this along, but she is very original at 113k miles.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:08 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
I user hooker headers from Advanced Auto parts. You have to order to ship to home. With tons of coupon codes available I got them for 210 with gaskets. Then I shot them with high temp header paint. 6904HKR is the part number. These will clear with out any denting or hammering.

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:22 AM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hookers... Driving my 79 F100 w/ 302 and C6 today. They were direct bolt on no issues. I'd have to look at them for a part number but feel certain hooker only made 1 set to choose from for the application???

Old 05-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Capri_nut
New User
Did you guys have to jack the motor up and drop the starter to get them in? Also do you have pictures of them from underneath showing how you snaked them around the transmission crossmember?

Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
I'm at work and it's raining so no pics here. Please don't ask me to go lay down in the parking lot. :-)
But you do have to loosen up the passenger side to drop the starter for sure. Have to do a "flip-a-roo" with the starter to get it in place. I've gotten very good at it. You position the starter upside down with point to the front of truck and flip 180 as you go over the header to get it into place. Same goes for a manual transmission for I drove one with a 3 speed as well that I just retired.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Capri_nut
New User
No I won't ask ya to do that in the rain...... But I can wait for the weather to turn nice! Btw did you go dual or a big single, and what mufflers?

Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Dual 2 1/2". Flowmasters. Pretty typical. Muffler shops love our trucks. Minimal bends just to get over the back axle.

It's supposed to rain through Friday and I'll be vacating. Hopefully someone else can help you out?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
I am running 2.5 in pipe with true duals but installing an x or H pipe soon. The driver side was a little tricky but it sounds and runs great. I have a 347 stroker.

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Capri_nut
New User
Axelqawn, any pictures of how you routed the pipes off the collector's and around the transmission crossmember? Did you go up over it or down under it? Also what mufflers did you run? I'm looking at either a big thrush, magnaflow, or bigson muffler....

On a side note how do you like the 347?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
The engine is brand new so I haven't broken it in yet. It sounds great. I drove if like 10 miles before my supposedly rebuilt trans had problems. My trans is getting hard parts in it which is why I am able to take these pictures. The 347 has about 450 hp so around 3.5 times more then what it had in 73. Take the cross members out the engine and trans. That will give you plenty of room to snake the headers in from the top. THe headers just barely clear below the crossmembers. Now my Truck is also a 2wd if that affects things for you as far as clearances. I will say a 3 in collector header will not fit under any v8 truck without notching the frame or crossmembers. The hookers are a tight fit even at 2.5 in collectors with 1.75 OD tubes.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:35 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
As for your plumbing question, It was fine. It won't hit anything and will run under the cross member and trans with out a problem. I have a 4r70w trans so my pan could be skinnier then your c6. I had to bend the straight pipes down from the back of the cab slightly so I could keep the exhaust pipe distance the same all the way back. I ran 2.5 Thrush welded but they were way too loud. So I am getting something else. I did wrap the pipes coming off the header with exhaust wrap to keep the heat from heat soaking the trans. Because the pipes are like an in away from it on both sides.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Capri_nut
New User
Originally Posted by gittinwidit
Dual 2 1/2". Flowmasters. Pretty typical. Muffler shops love our trucks. Minimal bends just to get over the back axle.

It's supposed to rain through Friday and I'll be vacating. Hopefully someone else can help you out?

Ya I won't be tackling this till the fall time so when ever you get to it its cool.

axelgawn, you might want to look into the gibson sft ultra flow mufflers.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Capri_nut
New User
I'm bumping this post in the hopes that some more people with pictures will chime in?

QUOTE=gittinwidit;17209893]Hookers... Driving my 79 F100 w/ 302 and C6 today. They were direct bolt on no issues. I'd have to look at them for a part number but feel certain hooker only made 1 set to choose from for the application???[/QUOTE]

I'm also hoping you might have gotten some pics and the part numbers for you set up?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 AM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Just so happens I drove it to work today. I will try to find numbers during lunch and post pics.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:07 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
I can't find the number plate. Something tells me it fell off for I've got probably 50k on them. And something tells me these can very well be any brand for I thought hooker tags were welded on pretty well???

I took some pics and will add but don't think that will help you. What's the issue you are having Capri Nut?

Quick Reply: Anyone successfully install long tubes on a 79 302 c6 2wd?