2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fox Shocks vs OEM. Are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:51 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Epic,

Well done on the video. I'll be ordering mine up soon when the inspector general isn't paying attention.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Tow
Yeah, well...... He's turned into kind of a hoarder. The Boat just sits there. He put two brand new 502's in it and they aren't even running yet -- After five years.

He's got at least 10 Corvettes, mostly C3's and a few C4's, in various states of disrepair. A couple are running. (I hate Corvettes)

I don't see him that much the last few Months. He's changed. He owns the shop now. Bought it from my brother 12 years ago.

He's also got at least three..... No, four or five, other boats. One of which is beautiful and runs like a striped-assed ape. Can't think of the name of it right now. (two minutes later..... It's a Baja, Outlaw [I think])

People change over the years. You'll see. As you get older, you'll see.
A hoarder (or collector as he might say ) Hope he's kept it out of the sun all these years. Man, your post brought up some great memories. If I only had a digital camera back then and had pics of all the fine hawt *** ladies I had onboard. Damn... those were the days and I bet Don Johnson is saying the same exact thing!

I hear ya on the changing, and I'm pretty old already!.... getting close to the big five-ohhhh!.... yikes! (not a grandpa yet however tho, phew!)

Old 05-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by F250Smitty
How many miles do you all expect to get out of these Fox 2.0's? Or have you gotten on past vehicles?
You'll get about 50k miles, then just rebuild (can do yourself for $9 a shock) and they'll go another 50K miles.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:05 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
A hoarder (or collector as he might say ) Hope he's kept it out of the sun all these years. Man, your post brought up some great memories. If I only had a digital camera back then and had pics of all the fine hawt *** ladies I had onboard. Damn... those were the days and I bet Don Johnson is saying the same exact thing!

I hear ya on the changing, and I'm pretty old already!.... getting close to the big five-ohhhh!.... yikes! (not a grandpa yet however tho, phew!)

Love the radar tower/arch. Or whatever they call it.

I don't boat anymore. Too old. My wife and I both are certified Divers. Don't do that anymore, either.

That's why I need a new Super Duty, to haul my little XLR 29HFS around before I'm too old for that.

That's the thing -- If you wait too long to get the stuff you want, a lot of times you're too old to enjoy it.

Enjoy life now. At least, as much as possible. Within reason.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by The Big Tow
Love the radar tower/arch. Or whatever they call it.

I don't boat anymore. Too old. My wife and I both are certified Divers. Don't do that anymore, either.

That's why I need a new Super Duty, to haul my little XLR 29HFS around

before I'm too old for that.

That's the thing -- If you wait too long to get the stuff you want, a lot of times you're too old to enjoy it.

Enjoy life now. At least, as much as possible. Within reason.
Yep, radar arch. Most of the newer boats (now) that I see the arches leaning forward, so this is old school in today's standards I guess.

XLR, kewl, me too! We've got quite a few of us on here.

Okay, back to Shocks, sorry Epic for the brief memory-flashback-jack!

Old 05-23-2017, 04:24 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
Do you think the Fox 2.0 shocks will ride as nice as the RS9000XL? (Assuming I adjust them for a nice on-road ride.)
I used the RS9000's and really liked them. Only problem was they didn't seem to last very long. And the bodies did rust and look a little unsightly if you care about that sort of thing. I'd say the Foxes are a little "creamier" than the Ranchos. It's a smoothness that glides through small bumps and you almost don't feel the little stuff. You get a little more road feel with the Ranchos and too much from the Bilsteins.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:09 PM
tx101
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EpicCowLick:

One of the best and most informative videos. It is nice to have some scientific data that shows the improvement with the new Fox shocks. I have contacted a local shop and asked them to order the Fox shocks. Can't schedule the install until a couple of weeks from now. Can't wait to see the difference. Thanks for all the information.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
It was a Great video, as always by Epic. No doughnut break however, so it gets an A-

I for one was expecting better results. The oem shock even out preformed the Fox in certain areas. I guess if I'm shelling out that kind of money and I already have brand new oem shocks? I need more separation in results, or... I just need older shocks to make a bigger gap in the results.

Patiently waiting here. For those who upgrade, I hope u see (actually feel) the difference. I'm sure there will be some!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:54 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
It was a Great video, as always by Epic. No doughnut break however, so it gets an A-

I for one was expecting better results. The oem shock even out preformed the Fox in certain areas. I guess if I'm shelling out that kind of money and I already have brand new oem shocks? I need more separation in results, or... I just need older shocks to make a bigger gap in the results.

Patiently waiting here. For those who upgrade, I hope u see (actually feel) the difference. I'm sure there will be some!
All things considered, it wasn't a highly controlled test. Who knows what more could have been learned with better equipment and a more precisely designed bump course? The takeaways for me is the aggregate. Fox wins on 16 of 20 data points. They were close on a few but absolutely crushed half the data points. That's a pretty dominating performance in my book. There's so many things that weren't tested either. Like how they compare to Rancho or Bilstein or how it performed on regular roads. If I could do it over I'd run a data test on a regular road with both and see what the numbers are. The subjective part of me says that the Fox was even more dominant there.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 PM
grouperjim
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EC,

Thanks for the video.......nice work. The segment showing your son getting bounced around in the front passenger was interesting. A similar shot with the Fox 2.0s under similar conditions would have been interesting "seat of the pants" demo as well.

I just wanted to add that on my last 3 F150s (2011-2016) I tossed the OEMs right away and replaced them with Fox 2.0s. On any kind of washboard/successive bumps in the road the OEMs had me bouncing sideways nearly out of control. Especially if in a turn of any degree. A bit unnerving to say the least.

The FX4 package on my new F250 uses the faux Ranchos and IMO they are performing somewhat better than the embarrassingly cheap shocks that came on the previous F150s. I'll be going back to a set of Fox 2.0s eventually on the F250 but these OEM Ranchos OK for now.

The Fox shocks are definitely a nice looking and great performing quality piece of hardware.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:59 AM
crossfirer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just installed the BDS tuned Fox 2.0 Performance shocks on my 2017 F350. The instructions that came with them stated that the body could be mounted top or bottom depending on fit or personal preference. I mounted the rears with the body down, thinking this would protect the shaft. But now after reading some comments and seeing some pictures, they are being mounted shaft down. My question is which is the proper way? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
According to the tech I talked with at FOX, they should be mounted shaft side down.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by crossfirer
I have just installed the BDS tuned Fox 2.0 Performance shocks on my 2017 F350. The instructions that came with them stated that the body could be mounted top or bottom depending on fit or personal preference. I mounted the rears with the body down, thinking this would protect the shaft. But now after reading some comments and seeing some pictures, they are being mounted shaft down. My question is which is the proper way? Thanks in advance.
Like the instructions state, they work the same in either orientation. But road rocks are going to beat up the lower part whether it's the shaft or the body. Fox offers plastic protective shields if you mount with the shaft down. Rodney ordered some and found that the shields can only be installed on one of the rear shocks because the other side is blocked some way.

Edit after Rodney's comment: I hadn't heard of the conversation with the Fox tech. Interesting that he would give information contrary to the instructions.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Where's the best place to buy them?

Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by k7lvo
Where's the best place to buy them?
Auto Anything Lewis. Do an online chat with them and ask for a discount and you'll get a 10% code. That should get you in around $460 shipped. Then you still need to buy the replacement lower bushings and sleeves for the rears.

bushing- 2 each
014-11-002-A

sleeve- 2 each
213-28-007-B

These are only sold at Poly Performance and must be ordered by phone.

Quick Reply: Fox Shocks vs OEM. Are they worth it?