1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

How do I get the door panel off a 98 expy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 02:58 PM
noitidepxe 89
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passenger side? Thanks!

Old 09-03-2003, 04:35 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru

First step is to remove the triangular shaped piece of plastic trim at the front corner of the window ledge. It is anchored to the top of the door panel and also into the side of the door. Pull the top of the triangle slightly towards you to loosen the serrated plastic spike that holds it to the side of the door, then slowly lift the assembly upwards to remove it from the top of the door panel. Leave your muscles at home for this one (be delicate). I think you may now see a screw that holds the top of the panel to the door. If so, unscrew it.

Next, with your bare hands, pull up the power window switch control panel and unplug the harnesses from the panel.

Then, using a flat bladed screwdriver, carefully loosen the oval piece of trim at the base of the inside door handle and unbolt the handle from the door.

There is a bolt or screw hidden in the housing for the interior door light. Carefully pry off the lens with the by inserting a flat-bladed screwdriver in the slot on the side of the lens.

Next is the actual removal of the door panel. Forget everything you recall about removing door panels on other cars. YOU MUST lift THE PANEL STRAIGHT UP ABOUT 3-4 INCHES TO REMOVE. Do not attempt to pull the panel towards you unless you like the idea of broken, irreplaceable plastic mounting hooks.

Installation is the reverse. Make sure that you line the panel up carefully before sliding it back down. Pay particular attention to the positioning of the door lock button.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:06 PM
00Expo&73Bronco
Freshman User

Exactly how Paul C said. You can also get directions (speaker installation) from Crutchfield. The even include subwoofer removal/installation.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:12 PM
noitidepxe 89
New User

Everything went as you said. There was one screw above the inside of the handle assembly I had to remove too, but it was dead on!! You saved me some serious coin at the dealer!
This forum ROCKS!!

Old 09-03-2003, 08:51 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru

Revised 9/3/03

You may want to disconnect the battery ground cable if you feel cautious.

First step is to remove the triangular shaped piece of plastic trim at the front corner of the window ledge. It is anchored to the top of the door panel and also into the side of the door. Pull the top of the triangle slightly towards you to loosen the serrated plastic spike that holds it to the side of the door, then slowly lift the assembly upwards to remove it from the top of the door panel. Leave your muscles at home for this one (be delicate). You will now see a screw that holds the top of the panel to the door. Unscrew it.

Next, with your bare hands, pull up the power window switch control panel and unplug the harnesses from the panel. Remove the door panel screw now seen in the resultant opening.

Then, using a flat bladed screwdriver, carefully loosen the oval piece of trim at the base of the inside door handle and unbolt the handle from the door.

There is a screw hidden in the housing for the interior door light. Carefully pry off the lens by inserting a flat-bladed screwdriver in the slot on the side of the lens. Remove screw.

Next is the actual removal of the door panel. Forget everything you recall about removing door panels on other cars. YOU MUST lift THE PANEL STRAIGHT UP ABOUT 3-4 INCHES TO REMOVE. Do not attempt to pull the panel towards you unless you like the idea of broken, irreplaceable plastic mounting hooks. During this process you must disconnect the courtesy lamp socket from the inside the door panel by turning the lamp socket 1/4 turn (not certain which direction). If the door panel being removed is the driver's door, you must also unplug the connector for the power mirror switch at this point.

Installation is the reverse. Make sure that you line the panel up carefully before sliding it back down. Pay particular attention to the threading of the door lock button through the slot in the door panel. Start installation with the door lock in the unlocked position.

Don't forget to reconnect the battery cable!

Good luck!

Last edited by PaulC; 09-03-2003 at 08:55 PM.