Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Crank, no start...Bad FICM???

Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
X-70STANG-F150 has a good reputation on FTE.X-70STANG-F150 has a good reputation on FTE.X-70STANG-F150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Crank, no start...Bad FICM???

I'll try to keep this short...

I changed the FICM roughly 3 months ago to a replacement from ficmrepair.com. Immediately after truck started a little better, but run great and my cold running problems were solved. I wouldn't say I had a rough idle, but it was less than perfect so I changed the EBP sensor at the same time. I did not notice any difference in that.

Shortly after the FICM change I got a bad tank of fuel. Immediately after fillup the truck ran really rough. I got it home and threw some Powerstop additive in the tank which seemed to make it mostly better. We burned that tank out that weekend and I didn't really notice much after getting fresh fuel.

This is my DD, so I've put a few mile on since then. Monday morning on the way to work, as I came to a stop the truck almost died. I lost almost all power, it drove as if an ignition coil had gone in a gasser - felt like I was on 6 or 7 cylinders. I nursed it home about 3 miles.

I started looking at it last night. The first thing I noticed is the fuel pump sounds different, almost as if it is struggling a little bit. I decided I must have clogged filters from the bad gas and so I changed both filters. Visually they looked like they were ready to be changed (they should they had about 15k on them) but I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with them. I blew back through the bottom of the upper filter, which seemed to take more effort than I expected so I thought I had my culprit.

I've been cranking on it like crazy, but not getting anything out of it. I've kept the batteries charged and have been pausing a few minutes between cranking sessions trying not to stress the FICM.

ICP pressure builds, FMP stays between 45-48 volts, FLP & FVP stay above 11, VLT stays above 11, and I get sync.

There is fuel in the bowl, it seems even if the pump is struggling that it should at least make an attempt to start.

I'm going to try to pick up the adapter I need to use my fuel gauge tonight, so hopefully I'll have a pressure to report later. Could the FICM have gone bad, even though the voltages are showing normal? How can I test it, I don't know anyone else that I can swap with.

Any ideas appreciated,
Thx

Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
w/ KOEO, how fast does the upper fuel filter bowl fill?

IMO every 6.0L owner needs a fuel pressure gauge. Get the pressure reading and post it - it might help identify a bad pump if you do have a bad pump.

You said that ICP was good, but please post the actual values for ICP volts and the ICP pressure when cranking.

Any codes? What scan tool are you using?

On initial KOEO, injectors buzzing?

When you changed fuel filters (hopefully you used OEM filters), are you sure that the cap o-ring is in good shape and not out-of-place on the installation of the lower filter?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
X-70STANG-F150 has a good reputation on FTE.X-70STANG-F150 has a good reputation on FTE.X-70STANG-F150 has a good reputation on FTE.
I had a couple of minutes, so I thought I would respond with some info.

The bowl has fuel before cranking. I've turned the Key off and check immediately after and have the same amount in the bowl. I get a little blowoff when I loosen the filter top, so I know there is some pressure. Pump runs 30 seconds everytime I turn the key on. No Buzz !!!! I hadn't noticed that before.

I'm using a scangauge II. Last night I didn't look at ICV, but ICP was starting low and quickly building up to 1200 ish. I tried a few minutes ago also.
KOEO, ICV= 0.23, ICP=0. Cranking was the same, no ICP. I unplugged the sensor, then had ICV=0, ICP 1100 ish, still not start. I plugged it back in and now get no reading from the sensor. I'm not sure if the sensor went bad or if Scangauge is being flakey. It seems like it should've started without the sensor.

I used OEM filters and changed o-rings. Lubed them up with diesel, seemed to go fine.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
To check the fuel flow rate (it is a poor check, but better than nothing), you have to remove the fuel from the upper filter bowl and watch how fast it fills w/ KOEO.

Good there is some pressure in the upper fuel filter bowl, but that is no test. The pressure is designed to bleed off when the key is turned off, AND you simply can't gauge a fuel pump that way.

If you don't actually have any HPO pressure it won't start - even with the sensor unplugged. The reason for the "volts" reading is to determine if your scan tool is reading an "inferred pressure".

Since this morning you didn't get a cranking ICP pressure, I would troubleshoot the ICP issue first. ICPv of .23 at KOEO is the proper reading. I would have at least expected .23 volts when cranking. From your posts I can only assume that it was .23 volts when cranking - I hate assuming.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:35 PM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
I was hoping to get fuel pressures tonight, but I can't find the freaking adapters I need to use my test gauge.

I'm starting to think fuel pressure is ok, but I'd like to know - I hate assuming too

Does no injector buzz mean the FICM is acting up?

I've unplugged and re-plugged the ICP sensor several times and now can't get it to read anything on Scangauge so I guess my next step is to order a new ICP and a test harness I found on the web. This is the 3rd ICP sensor I've replaced in as many years - 1 BWD and 2 OEM.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
Using the scan gauge, get a reading for VREF first, before dumping $130 on a sensor. That may show you something. Is the little clear plastic separator still in the connector?

With it unplugged and if the truck was capable of making the pressure, it should have fired.

Send a PM to Yahiko asking for the pdf on ICP, then test the wiring from connector to PCM, won't cost anything. Save your money, you may have a HPO leak and a good sensor.

Have you removed the IPR and checked the screen?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:33 PM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
I'm not sure if I have VREF programmed yet or what that does. I'll look into that.

I watched a DieselTechRon video and used his link to find a real good deal on OEM ICP sensors, a new harness, and a test harness. I ordered all 3.

Another DTR video showed a link to a billet aluminum fuel filter cover that has the test port in the top. I've been having a real hard time finding fittings to use with my test gauge, so this way I'll be able to check that easy.

I also ordered an OBDlink BT dongle, and downloaded Forscan software.

I also ordered a fitting so I can measure ICP with a test gauge. I don't have a gauge that can measure that high yet though.

I pulled my existing ICP sensor and found that I had bent a pin. I straightened the pin and replaced the sensor. I'm showing voltage again, but still no pressure. I'm questioning the harness because I know I have poked it in the past to measure voltage. If that and/or the sensor turns out to bad, then I will have them on hand.

I wanted to use the forscan software so that I can initiate the injector test. Right now, the truck is not doing it on its own. I don't know if the new FICM has gone bad, or if it has something to do with the ICP reading or something else.

I have never checked the IPR screen. I'm not sure how to do that, but will look into it. So far, it looks like I'm mostly stuck until some of the stuff I ordered comes in. Luckily we have a backup car, but I miss my truck and will need it soon.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:25 PM
BLADE35
Post Fiend
BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Post IPR% @ KOEO

Old 05-22-2017, 05:54 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
IPR @KOEO= 14.6

Old 05-22-2017, 06:22 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
I read about and programmed vref too.

VREF @ KOEO= 4.99

Old 05-22-2017, 06:46 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WatsonR View Post
Using the scan gauge, get a reading for VREF first, before dumping $130 on a sensor. That may show you something. Is the little clear plastic separator still in the connector?

With it unplugged and if the truck was capable of making the pressure, it should have fired.

Send a PM to Yahiko asking for the pdf on ICP, then test the wiring from connector to PCM, won't cost anything. Save your money, you may have a HPO leak and a good sensor.

Have you removed the IPR and checked the screen?
X-70STANG-F150 -

Even if you have a wiring issue from probing through the insulation, I highly doubt that this is the no-start issue (since you posted you now have voltage again).

What cranking data are you getting now:
ICP volts
IPR % duty cycle

You said you are getting sync. There are two -- cam/crank sync and FICM sync. both are important. Could you check to see if you are getting a "yes" for both?

Depending on the data above, it may be time for an air test. Also - keep after the fuel pressure reading, IMO every 6.0L owner needs it.

As suggested by RWatson above - pulling and inspecting the IPR would be a good idea also.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
The ICP sensor and related parts arrived already. I changed the sensor:
Initial Cranking:
KOEO ICP=0, ICV= 0.23; Cranking ICP= 1300, ICV= 0.29

After intital cranking I lost ICP, but ICV went up. ICP= 230, ICV= 0.29

Both sync codes= 1
Still no injector buzz.
Fuel Pump seems to run excessively.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:10 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
You aren't getting enough HPO pressure w/ .29 volts.

Time for air test and/or pull the IPR. To do the air test, you will need a way to close the IPR. There are quite a few youtube videos on doing the air test.

Common leak points for your model year are HPOP discharge (STC) fitting and dummy plugs.

Verify that the sound is the fuel pump and not the vacuum pump.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:46 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
bismic: I get vacuum pump and fuel pump running. The vacuum pump sounds like it always does. The fuel pump sounds awkward, especially the longer it runs. It sounds a little louder too.

Still waiting for fittings to get here so I can do an air test. My new ICP sensor came in mid-week, so I switched them out. No new results. My new bluetooth OBD reader came in, so I was able to pull DTC codes. Nothing new, just EGR codes from my delete.

I initiated the injector buzz test and did not get any buzz. Fault code was something like "low injector circuit" or something on all 8 cylinders. This bugs me because I've done a bunch of reading and still don't know if I have 2 separate problems, i.e. No HPO pressure and bad FICM or if 1 problem is responsible for the other.

My billet fuel filter cap is supposed to arrive today, so I will check fuel pressure there if it does. I also plan to pull the IPR valve and check the screen today. Other than that, I guess I'm stuck until the fittings get here.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:54 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
Didn't mean to offend (if I did) w/ the vacuum pump suggestion, its just that some folks have confused the sounds in past threads.

Definitely sounds like a number of issues at the same time. The low ICP won't cause injector circuit codes and vice versa. Are the FICM connectors solidly plugged in?

Hope the work goes well today. Anxious for the air test results and the fuel pressure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank, no start...Bad FICM???

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.