1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Great Moments in Overspending - '48 Panel Version

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Great Moments in Overspending - '48 Panel Version

While compulsively searching CL (yeah, yeah, so sue me), I noticed this beauty. While I'm certain the workmanship is outstanding, the price tag seems to reflect an issue with budget management. Best to crank up a gofundme account so your friends can chip in the $200K needed to put this in the collection. Enjoy: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/6090613911.html

Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jeepers!......I couldn't focus my attention long enough to read the whole thing. If I could afford that nice truck I could pay off my mortgage.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I don't like it--really at any price. The missing exterior sheet metal changes the whole look in a negative way--like an aging movie star with way too many plastic surgeries.

...And the interior. You really can't haul gravel in it. What are you supposed to do in the cargo area? There's no seating. It's just expensive empty space.

I don't even like the color. The whole thing is a miss for me. The drive train and suspension might be nice, but they belong in a car. Old trucks need to stand tall and be proud to show all the curves they were born with. Just the way God (and Henry) intended for them to be.

Jim

Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Among the items that stood out in the ad was the comment that the truck was built to create the 'ideal cross country travelling rod'. Perhaps. In the next gush we learn that this thing of beauty has somehow accummulated 2000 miles in 10 years. Gee, 200 miles a year doesn't get you too far across any country in North America. It is possible that there were mechanic's liens to overcome from any of the name-dropped speciality houses.

I'm with you on usability, Jim. No way would this crate handle a run to any self respecting gravel pit.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
Not for my taste. I don't care for chopped unless it is also channeled. I just don't care for the "squat top" look. The color is, "ok". The interior is nice, but over done, in my opinion. Then there is that little issue of the motor.
A lot of work, I appreciate that, just would not be enticed.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:05 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like really nice work, but I also don't like the chopped look. And 200,000?? Are they crazy?

Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh. Powered by Chevy. <<<Puke>>>

Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 AM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
He will probably get 1/4 what it owes him .

Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey - Thanks for posting this - I saw a bunch of great ideas for my 48 Panel - OF WHAT NOT TO DO

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Duane, I saw this listing also. Like Earl, I didn't go too far into it. I don't get interested in overpriced vehicles. That's one of the main reasons I rarely watch the "reality" car show and especially the stupid auto action show.

Unless he's hoping to snag someone on either coast via a Google search of CL I doubt he'll ever find anyone in the Milwaukee area that is going to cough up that kind of money. We're cheap b*****ds first off. Second for that kind of money we'd take a ride to the warmer, drier areas of the country and find a stock truck and bring it back and build it the way we want. I know if I was foolish enough to spend that kind of money I'd want the truck to be exactly what I want, needing not a thing change to please me. For that kind of money I could build 10 trucks.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:10 AM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California tags - Located in Milwaukee = explains the 2000 miles for this ideal cross-country traveling rod.

If you are going to throw away money, at least he choose the right field to support.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I doubt it was driven from the coast to Wisconsin. That kind of money gets trailers.

I Googled the image and it showed up on a bunch of websites one being a car dealer in California somewhere and being sold in 2015, I think.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Placeholder

Old 05-18-2017, 10:31 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Fore the Future:

Stunning, over-the-top 1948 Ford Panel for sale, built at a cost of around $200,000 to order by The Adult Toy Factory in Las Crusis New Mexico. This is an amazingly high quality build where "money was no object". Built for and with an engineer to the highest levels imaginable with the goal of creating the ideal cross-country traveling rod. Just over 2,000 miles since completion about 10 years ago. ****See below for full youtube link on this car****
This rare '48 is set-up for unrivaled performance and reliability with a Mustang II front end, Corvette LS-1 and GM 4L60-E 4-speed over-drive Transmission and dyno'd at 500hp. 4-Wheel 11" Disc brakes, power steering, 20 gallon fuel tank for long drives, this mechanical masterpiece has it all.
The interior is unbelievable! $18,000 spent on eleven imported English hydes. Not a stich of vinyl or cloth can be found in this truck. Crafted by Johnny's Auto Trim in Alamosa, Colorado, this full custom leather interior is extremely well insulated throughout. The interior features Navigation, AM/FM Stereo, CD Changer, Delco Power Windows, Vintage Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Tilt, and more.
There is a load controller airbag setup with compressors and interior controls and gauges should the new owner decide to install airbags. Also has Dakota remote door systems as well as a Dakota digital Series 2 vacuum fluorescent digital dashboard for the utmost accurate readings.
The body is tastefully customized with a chopped 4 1/2 inch sliced top, custom rear doors; 1 inch pancake at the front of the hood, windshield laid back 2 1/4 inches & frenched. Hagan gas door. Painted with DuPont Hawaiian Orchid and looks stunning! Pin stripping & graphics by Bill Knight, Hagan 3rd brake light built into the body, hood snout holes filled, Hagan frenched Euro style Halogen, frenched Cadillac rear tail lamps.
Frame
FRAME / MANUFACTURER: ORIGINAL (MODIFIED) / FORD
MODIFICATIONS: BOXED / "C'ED" AT REAR / TCI SADDLE STYLE TRANSMISSION MOUNT
WHEEL BASE: STOCK
FRONT SUSPENSION: TCI MSII STYLE W/ POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL CONTROL ARMS
FRONT BRAKES: 11″ FORD DISC
REAR SUSPENSION: TCI 4-LINK
DIFFERENTIAL / RATIO: 9″ FORD (CURRIE) / 3.73
REAR BRAKES: FORD DRUM
MASTER CYLINDER: CORVETTE 1″ BORE
BRAKE BOOSTER: TCI 8″ DUAL DIAPHRAGM
STEERING BOX / STEERING COLUMN: FORD POWER RACK / IDIDIT TILT
WHEELS, FRONT / REAR: BILLET SPECIALTIES / 15″x6″ / 15″x8″
TIRES, FRONT / REAR: BF GOODRICH RADIAL TA / 205-70R 15 / 285-70R 15
GAS TANK: ROCK VALLEY STAINLESS STEEL W/ FUEL INJECTION PUMP INSTALLED
RADIATOR: WALKER RADIATOR Z-OPTION W/ A/C CONDENSER

Body
STYLE: 1948 FORD PANEL TRUCK
MATERIAL / MANUFACTURER: STEEL / FORD
MODIFICATIONS: CHOPPED 4 1/2″ / SLICED TOP TO REMOVE MASSIVE CROWN / REAR DOORS TOTALLY CHANGED / 1″ PANCAKE
AT THE FRONT OF THE HOOD / WINDSHIELD LAID BACK 2 1/4″ &FRENCHED / HAGAN GAS DOOR / COOL FLEX GAS FILLER HOSE / PIN STRIPPING &GRAPHICS BY BILL KNIGHT / HAGAN 3RD. BRAKE LIGHT BUILT INTO THE BODY / HOOD SNOUT HOLES FILLED
LIGHTS, FRONT / REAR: HAGAN FRENCHED URO STYLE HALOGEN / FRENCHED CADILLAC / WARDLOW BRA
PAINT TYPE / COLOR: DU PONT / HAWAIIAN ORCHID
OTHER STUFF: DRIVING LIGHTS BUILT INTO THE FRONT BUMPER /ROCK VALLEY BUMPERS MODIFIED TO FIT THE BODY CLOSER / GRILL MODIFIED W/ FUNCTIONAL SCOOP TO THE RADIATOR / POLISHED ALUMINUM INNER FENDERS / DRIP RAIL CUT OFF &5/16″ ROD WELDED IN ITS PLACE / GAPS AROUND THE DOORS MADE EVEN / SPECIALTY POWER WINDOWS / DAKOTA COMMANDER 9000 REMOTE ENTRY SYSTEM / RE-RADIUSED FENDERS TO FIT TIRE SIZE / FILLED &SMOOTHED SEAMS

Interior
UPHOLSTERY / COLOR: BRIDGE OF WEIR LEATHER / CREAM
CARPET COLOR: CREAM WOOL
UPHOLSTERER: JOHNNY'S AUTO TRIM, ALAMOSA, COLORADO
INSTRUMENTS / PANEL: DAKOTA DIGITAL / MOLDED CUSTOM DASH
WIRING: RON FRANCIS WIRE WORKS BY ATF / CLASSIC CRAFT INTERIOR LIGHTING
STEERING WHEEL: LECARRA W/ BILLET HORN BUTTON
COMMENTS (OTHER STUFF): GPS SYSTEM / DVD / KILLER CUSTOM STEREO / CUSTOM CONSOLES (OVERHEAD &FLOOR) DAKOTA DIGITALCRUISE CONTROL / AIR-TIQUE A/C HEAT SYSTEM / ATF BILLET BRAKE PEDAL / LOKAR PEDALS &E-BRAKE

Drivetrain
ENGINE BLOCK: 2001 LS-1 CORVETTE
MODIFICATIONS: ALL BY STREET &PERFORMANCE, MENA, ARKANSAS - ENTIRE ENGINE IS POLISHED ALUMINUM / ALL ACCESSORIES POLISHED BY S&P /
PISTONS / RODS: STOCK
HEADS / VALVE TRAIN: STOCK
INDUCTION / IGNITION: STOCK W/ STREET &PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS / CAMARO THROTTLE BODY / LOKAR CABLES /
EXHAUST: STREET &PERFORMANCE COATED BLOCK HUGGER HEADERS / ALUMINUM COATED 2 1/4″ EXHAUST THROUGH BUMPER
WITH STAINLESS MEGS TIPS
DISPLACEMENT / HORSEPOWER: 350 CID / 330 HP
TRANSMISSION / TORQUE CONVERTER / SHIFTER: GM 4L60E, 4-speed over-drive / VETTE 1800 CONVERTER / SHIFTER - IDIDIT COLUMN
TRANS MODIFICATIONS: BEEFED &DYNODE FOR 500 HP
DRIVESHAFT: INLAND EMPIRE ALL ALUMINUM

SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY!!!
SPAM WILL BE IGNORED!!!

VIN# 88RC119560

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Up...ature=youtu.be

Attached Images       
Old 05-18-2017, 10:53 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Lots of good work but a lesson in custom creation that appeals to you but maybe nobody else. The paint looks great, I'm sure there were many hours of prep put into the project, but the color has limited appeal. I agree with topmoo, the body lines look very strange. Something is off with the proportions. IMHO it would have looked better in it's stock form. Or maybe for $200,000 they didn't go far enough?

Quick Reply: Great Moments in Overspending - '48 Panel Version