Upgraded turbo, new MAP, intakes, now DTCs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded turbo, new MAP, intakes, now DTCs

Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Upgraded turbo, new MAP, intakes, now DTCs

I'm getting some DTCs after upgrading the turbo intake wheel, new billet intake plenums, new HPOP fittings (removing check valves), new HPO lines, new boots/clamps, and a new...ahem...MAP sensor (met an unfortunate Hulk Smash during CAC tube install).

I rebuilt the EBPV piston and cranked the wastegate rod just about 5 cranks shorter. In this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-joints-3.html

I couldn't get over 25.7 psi of boost with Gearhead tunes. I tried different tunes, including one that is "supposed" to have defueling due to boost disabled.

It seemed that was all she had, up the mountain, wouldn't give any more.

In all fairness, I was watching the boost to see how high it would go until I noticed the speedometer was at 90mph I slowed down and saved the log file

I didn't have a spot to stop and pull the red line off the sure to be fiery-hot turbo's wastegate, so can't say if it is overboost or tune or what at this point.

That's why I'm putting it up here for opinions and help

Back when I purchased my Hydra with custom tunes from GearHead, I was told not to get a boost fooler, that it is better to disable the defuel in the tune, so the tune will have accurate info on the system/boost.

This info was NOT from Matt. I never spoke with him. I have an old thread around somewhere with details. Not necessarily a bad thing, just qualifying the source of the info.

I'm hoping this is "normal growing pains" when adding more boost and someone will share the "cheat sheet" with me
Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.
I get all of those under enhanced powertrain except the AIH, my truck never had one of those. I understand most of those. I also get key in ignition fault but that's because I broke that one.

Did you clear it before you ran them? Or might some of them be old and resolved?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
I was told that I did not need a boost fooler as well when getting ready to purchase GH tunes for the Hydra. I can confirm that the fooler is integrated into my tunes as I can hit 30-32ish PSI and regularly go 25-28 PSI when towing.

Did you feel the engine defuel, or you were expecting higher numbers from the turbo?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Did you clear it before you ran them? Or might some of them be old and resolved?
Yep, I cleared them with Torque Pro (maybe it didn't work?), so let's call that "yes, but I'll confirm and try again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I was told that I did not need a boost fooler as well when getting ready to purchase GH tunes for the Hydra. I can confirm that the fooler is integrated into my tunes as I can hit 30-32ish PSI and regularly go 25-28 PSI when towing.

Did you feel the engine defuel, or you were expecting higher numbers from the turbo?
I didn't feel a defuel, but I was expecting higher numbers.

It really did seem like a hard ceiling.

Good to hear your tunes are confirmed with the anti-defuel When the MAP sensor was disconnected, it locked at 29.4psi and didn't defuel, so the tune is probably okay.

This is the SPXTurbo wheel.

Uhm....I didn't check my air filter minder. I was sucking it about 3/4 closed before....bet it's sucked flat
Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Post Fiend

z31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to all
What were your EGT's when this happened?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Polkamatic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
What were your EGT's when this happened?
No idea, yet

FYI. My filter minder is sucked completely shut

I'm running AIS. I banged the filter to clear it out during the upgrade.

Although it might be time to change the filter soon (it doesn't seem like it), I could suck it a good bit of the way closed with the other wheel.

I was looking at the fender sleeve some time ago....

I wonder if it is the intake tube (cutting the box would help), or the filter itself (cutting would not help) ?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
I installed the sleeve on my AIS when I upgraded the turbo and exhaust. Let me tell you this, just get the shop vac prefilter thing from Home Depot or Lowes and save $25. The sleeve is nothing more than round shaped foam.

With that said, you are most likely starving the turbo of air. Cut a hole in the side of the box and see how it does from there.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Post Fiend

z31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to all
Try a 6637 and see how it performs. I never liked the AIS just my .02
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Polkamatic Poster

This post seems to confirm a restriction with the AIS intake tube?

Quote:
I've finally got that AIS filter minder thingy to stop sucking down so easily on my truck. I simply removed the "snorkle" part of the filter housing. (The snap on part that reaches up toward the front of the truck along the battery.)

That snorkle must be pretty restrictive. Looking at it, it seems that it cuts down about 1/3 of the air that could/should be entering the main filter housing. I've seen others remove it and add other fabricated bigger snorkles, or trim off sections of it. Simply removing that snorkle was pretty easy.

I know lots of talk has gone on before about how restrictive the AIS filter is or isn't base on that filter minder etc and frankly I don't understand it all...I'm just happy to see that filter minder thingy not sucking down every time I push the go pedal more than halfway.
Credit: AIS filter minder fix - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Postmaster

I do like the AIS, it just has its limits. It was not designed to be a 30 PSI flowing filter box in my opinion. It looks factory, it looks clean and the fit and finish are excellent.

I probably will go up to the Gen 2 S&B when new injectors and turbo come along though.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Polkamatic Poster

Yeah, I ordered one of the foam vacuum filters a while back. Can't remember where I put it

Under hood heat is still a common concern, or I'd cut into there
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Polkamatic Poster

If I can find a decent low restriction cone filter that will hold up to under-hood temps (glues), I might put one of these through the housing from the inside and attach a filter to the tube, between the AIS and the firewall (under the hood)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:50 AM
Senior User

johnsps250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I first added my AIS, I did so without the fender sleeve, would suck the minder down about half with the stock turbo red line hooked up. I added the fender sleeve and that all but stopped the minder from moving. It would still move slightly on extended WOT runs. I rebuilt the stock turbo and added the SPX wheel with dorman up pipes and TM controller early last fall. Now @ 29 lbs of boost I am back to sucking the minder down by half or so. I have been looking at the snorkel, and maybe a larger fender hole?? Trying to get the most out of my AIS before upgrading to an S&B. I think the next move will be to remove the snorkel and see how the minder reacts, and if that doesn't solve It, I may try a slightly hole in an effort to find the limits of the filter media rather than the limits of the housing.

Thanks for sharing EX!!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Hey John... sorry I missed the party.
  1. You need a big hole in the side of the housing to draw air from the fender well for a tuned stock truck.
  2. If you have the AIS filter minder, it's weaker than the stock unit.
  3. The AIS is good for stock injectors and turbo, even when chipped. Once you go custom turbo or injectors, that's akin to the Hulk riding a Big Wheel - Hulk smash.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:14 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Have you done a boost leak test? After I put a 38R on my truck I had low boost and eventually found the o-ring between turbo and spider was missing... After a few leak tests...

I also agree AIS has its limitations. You can confirm this is where your problem is by making a run with no filter element/open air box.