O ring fried on injector: What was the cause of this? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O ring fried on injector: What was the cause of this?

Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Senior User

jstihl is starting off with a positive reputation.
O ring fried on injector: What was the cause of this?

I have been having alot of problems with my truck consuming oil. I had a mechanic put all new injectors on driver side, 6 months later truck started consuming alot of oil. Then mechanic told me it was probably the other bank. So i changed the injectors on the passenger bank and still had oil consumption problems. So i decided to take apart the drivers side bank that mechanic did and found a burnt up O ring on one side of injector 6. Is the cause of this from using cheap o rings? is it ok to put alliant orings back on the injector and pop it back in?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Yes put Alliant o-rings back on. I would inspect that cup for damage but the mechanic probably didn't tighten that inject right. That or he put them in dry. Should of checked his work before installing the other bank. Good luck and report back after driving for a while. Also retorq all injectors to make sure they are at 120 inch pounds. Some even go to 130 inch pounds. If there loose at all, also do the other side. Don't for get the copper gasket as well.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Elder User

tjmike is starting off with a positive reputation.
I suspect more info would be helpful:

A photo would be good. Is it the bottom o-ring? Did it seem to be properly torqued down? What is the condition of the copper gasket?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmike View Post
I suspect more info would be helpful:

A photo would be good. Is it the bottom o-ring? Did it seem to be properly torqued down? What is the condition of the copper gasket?
hey mike, I am posting pics now but it wasn't the bottom O ring it was the middle pink o-ring. The copper washer look fine. That's why I thought it was kind of odd. Please check out pics and let me know what you think thank you

Also the idiot mechanic put in Autolite glow plugs. The one that was next to this injector was hard to get out I believe it was swollen period going back with Motorcraft glow plugs and allianr o rings
Old 05-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Yes, change all glow plugs. How's your fuel filter look?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:00 PM
I'm a cautionary tale.

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Dry install. You'd be better off doing you own work on the truck... maybe your mechanic can handle the Fisher Price car in the background.

I suggest you search for the term "hot torque" and do that before putting the VCs back on.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Dry install. You'd be better off doing you own work on the truck... maybe your mechanic can handle the Fisher Price car in the background.

I suggest you search for the term "hot torque" and do that before putting the VCs back on.
hey tugly, is it possible that the crappy Autolite glow plug shorted out or something and swole up then overheated that one o ring through the injector cup?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
I'm no expert but my driveway mechanic gut is telling me that looks like a pinched o-ring.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Posting Guru

Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstihl View Post
hey tugly, is it possible that the crappy Autolite glow plug shorted out or something and swole up then overheated that one o ring through the injector cup?
No.....it's caused by faulty install.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Senior User

JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd hazard the guess that your "mechanic" installed the injectors dry, or pretty dry. As long as you're in there I'd check them all. Dip the new orings in oil before you put em in the injector. Slather the whole injector in oil before you drop them in. And don't give your "mechanic" any more of your money. At least not on your 7.3, maybe he's good at gassers or something, but this clearly isn't his forte.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeF250 View Post
I'd hazard the guess that your "mechanic" installed the injectors dry, or pretty dry. As long as you're in there I'd check them all. Dip the new orings in oil before you put em in the injector. Slather the whole injector in oil before you drop them in. And don't give your "mechanic" any more of your money. At least not on your 7.3, maybe he's good at gassers or something, but this clearly isn't his forte.
I couldn't agree more Joe. It has been a long painstaking process trying to figure this out and it ends up being a little o-ring that they obviously didn't do a good job of installing.. very aggravating comma I can't understand how a driveway mechanic like myself can do a better job than someone who does it for a living. Well thanks again to all the brothers on FTE!
Old 05-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Senior User

I'm going to change the filter in the fuel bowl. Do I just have to drain the fuel bowl out put the fuel filter in, and just turn the key on and off a couple of times to fill the fuel bowl?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Senior User

The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I'm going to change the filter in the fuel bowl. Do I just have to drain the fuel bowl out put the fuel filter in, and just turn the key on and off a couple of times to fill the fuel bowl?
Yes, that'll do it.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Another cautionary tale

Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.Jaime74656 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
hey mike, I am posting pics now but it wasn't the bottom O ring it was the middle pink o-ring. The copper washer look fine. That's why I thought it was kind of odd. Please check out pics and let me know what you think thank you

Also the idiot mechanic put in Autolite glow plugs. The one that was next to this injector was hard to get out I believe it was swollen period going back with Motorcraft glow plugs and allianr o rings
Dude....run......seriously just.......RUN!!!!! I...SEE...AUTOLIGHTS!!!!!!!

I am in agreement here, if your Fisher price car has a problem take it to the mechanic, I don't think the guy (gal??) knows a single thing about Diesels, I can bet you they are a newer mechanic trained on more modern cars and trucks and not the now status dinosaur 7.3L Diesel....

Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
Being that bad I would do the oring and glow plugs and run a few tanks of fuel through it before I change the fuel filter. You have lots of oil in the tank, the new filter will just get oily too.