2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Towing a large 5th Wheel with F-250

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Bassboatman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing a large 5th Wheel with F-250

I have a 41 Foot 5th Wheel, with a GVWR of 14,995 and a hitch weight of 2,496. My truck is a SRW F-250 with standard bed. Truck is stock, except for Fox 2.0 Shocks, which are a little sloppy in my opinion. I am new to 5th Wheel towing and would like to know if I need to make any mods to this truck to tow my monster 5th Wheel. I have towed it with my friends older GMC dully and felt that it was a load for it. What hitch do you recommend, I was looking hard at the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. Should I try to tow it without adding air bags? And are the fox shocks going to be to soft? Thanks!!

Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine, that I see occasionally, tows what he says is the biggest 5th Wheel made and he does it with a Ram 2500 SRW Mega-something or other. Mega Cab??

I don't know what hitch he uses but I do know he needs airbags and he uses them.

Last Memorial Day, he towed it through the Blue Ridge Mountains on I-77 with me following him in my F-150 and he had no problem keeping ahead of me. At all.

That view going from Virginia into NC is astonishing

He then went on to put another 11,000 miles on the rig last Summer, including a trip through the Rockies.

He won't own a dually. Hates 'em. Don't want one.

But he's also insane, IMHO.

So, there's that

Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 AM
MisterScotty
Junior User
Keeping up with you is not an issue. I have a Voltage 3950 and I towed with a SRW F-350 in the flatlands in Texas and felt uncomfortable. I now live in the mountains and have an F-450. I feel much more comfortable heading down 6 percent grades with longer wheel base, shorter gears, twice the tire footprint in the rear. Possible yes. Recommended no. Insane likely. I suspect if you were in a wreck in that configuration there would be discussions about towing over the limit.

Who hates a duallie? The new ones look awesome.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:22 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
To the OP: Since you already have the truck and trailer and assuming you're within your tow limits and axle limits then I'd take it for a spin and see what you think.

I'm guessing most guys would prefer a dually or at the minimum air bags for your SRW.

With questions like yours, most guys focus on the truck's capabilities. I might be a little insane myself but I never worried too much about the truck as long as all the weight limits were okay. What makes me nervous from time to time is when I look at the suspension under many, many larger campers. Look at your truck's suspension, brakes, etc and then at your camper's suspension, brakes, etc. Now, consider what is sitting on top of each respective suspension and tell me which won makes you nervous first.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
As discussed in another thread, the current gen 250's sag as much as the previous gen. I had a 2014 SRW 250 and towed a 5th wheel that was shorter and lighter than the one you have. I installed airbags because even with a pin weight of 1800#s it was just too much sag and felt unstable. I've since upgraded to a '17 DRW and have zero concerns.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterScotty
Keeping up with you is not an issue. I have a Voltage 3950 and I towed with a SRW F-350 in the flatlands in Texas and felt uncomfortable. I now live in the mountains and have an F-450. I feel much more comfortable heading down 6 percent grades with longer wheel base, shorter gears, twice the tire footprint in the rear. Possible yes. Recommended no. Insane likely. I suspect if you were in a wreck in that configuration there would be discussions about towing over the limit.

I'm not recommending anything. Honestly.

I'm just saying; my buddy does it. And he's no novice. He owned and operated a fleet of Tractor Trailers in Texas for a while, delivering agricultural goods to Farmers and Ranchers.

When my other buddy and I see him pull up in his rig, with that HUGE 3-axle 42' Coachmen (?) we kinda shake our heads.

But he does it. I don't know why, he just does. And money ain't the problem. If I had that boy's money I'd burn that cigarette change I have.

And he LIVES in his Trailer!!

He sold a very nice home, his business, some Condos and everything else he owned in New Mexico and moved into his 5th Wheel in Texas, outside Dallas.

If it were me, I'd rather have a dually myself. Can't have too much truck in front of a 3 axle 5th Wheel, IMO. (Seen guys pull them with a Peterbilt)

But he does it with a SRW 2500.

Not vouching for his sanity.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Bassboatman
I have a 41 Foot 5th Wheel, with a GVWR of 14,995 and a hitch weight of 2,496. My truck is a SRW F-250 with standard bed. Truck is stock, except for Fox 2.0 Shocks, which are a little sloppy in my opinion. I am new to 5th Wheel towing and would like to know if I need to make any mods to this truck to tow my monster 5th Wheel. I have towed it with my friends older GMC dully and felt that it was a load for it. What hitch do you recommend, I was looking hard at the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. Should I try to tow it without adding air bags? And are the fox shocks going to be to soft? Thanks!!
Tell us more about your 2017 F250: diesel or gas, 4x4 or 4x2, axle ratio, wheels and tires, High Capacity Tow Package (option code 353), camper package (OC 471), any other major options?

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 5er is 45ft/21K lb, triple axle (or course). Dry/factory-pin weight is 2860, but until I can Cat scale it, I'd say this was an understatement. Of course now she's more loaded up also.

My F350 dually "squats" while hooked up to my new massive 5er. I need air bags for sure and have since ordered the Air Lift 5000 w/ the 72000 wireless controller and pump.

I towed my prior 34ft/14K 5er with a SRW GM truck. Did awesome, but I can truly feel the more planted feel of the dually... and pulling a much larger load at that.

So I think with some tweeks like maybe the air-bags, you will be fine. I'd hook 'er up and try a tow before you invest in them however.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:09 AM
MisterScotty
Junior User
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
My 5er is 45ft/21K lb, triple axle (or course). Dry/factory-pin weight is 2860, but until I can Cat scale it, I'd say this was an understatement. Of course now she's more loaded up also.

My F350 dually "squats" while hooked up to my new massive 5er. I need air bags for sure and have since ordered the Air Lift 5000 w/ the 72000 wireless controller and pump.

I towed my prior 34ft/14K 5er with a SRW GM truck. Did awesome, but I can truly feel the more planted feel of the dually... and pulling a much larger load at that.

So I think with some tweeks like maybe the air-bags, you will be fine. I'd hook 'er up and try a tow before you invest in them however.
My 450 squats. And it seems that I need to drop the pin box as well this weekend because I hit the rail with the pin box. Thankfully it hit the rail for the sliding cover and did not damage the truck.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Facebook Post

Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterScotty

FWIW, I agree with MisterScotty. My truck (F-250 Lariat Ultimate, 6.7) only has a 2002lb capacity according to the sticker on the door. I know it will pull the described trailer but as far as inspiring confidence on twisty mountain grades I would much rather have the dually. Then there's the questions of what happens in the event of, God forbid, an accident with injuries (real or not.) Anyone who is subject to the rolling infomercial that is terrestrial radio undoubtedly has heard all of the commercials for the ambulance chasing lawyers. Would you be SOL in the court of law by exceeding the limits of the vehicle? I don't know for sure, but it would make me think that one through before hooking up to something that large. IMO.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,619 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassboatman
Well sir, I did pull my Raptor with an F250, airbagged, and set up for pulling the heavy load. But after a couple of trips, I started seroiusly looking for a dually.
It is like night and day different towing experience.
My 250 had the 6.2 gas motor, and it pulled it ok, burned lots of gas and didn't break any speed records going up hills, etc. and I did wind up sitting a couple times because of cross winds.
If you plan to keep the 250, you wil likely want to add air bags, and if it does not have a rear sway bar to add one, and if it does have one, to upgrade it.
As far as "legality".......none of this will change the numbers on your door sticker as far as load capacity is concerned. Some people worry about it, others do not.
Good luck to you and yours.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 AM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will be fine. I haul my 42 ft 15k gvwr trailer all the time. I added airbags to the rear and it is smooth. Depending how its loaded i can keep my pin weight at 2500 which is fine for these trucks even if that pointless sticker on the door says its not. I had a 20 mph cross wind the other day and i was still driving on cruise at 65 with no pucker factor. I have hauled with single wheel and duallys and unless your really heavy like in the 18k gvwr range and above i wouldnt sweat it to much. Guys that have duallys are going to always say get a dually because thats what they drive. Most trucks you will see at campgrounds will be single wheel vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on my '13 ITruck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad use "Stableloads"

I also have airbags but I find I just use the Stableloads vs the bags.

I also updated the sway bar on the front and back to Helliwig, it's been good for me.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BowtieConvert
FWIW, I agree with MisterScotty. My truck (F-250 Lariat Ultimate, 6.7) only has a 2002lb capacity according to the sticker on the door. I know it will pull the described trailer but as far as inspiring confidence on twisty mountain grades I would much rather have the dually. Then there's the questions of what happens in the event of, God forbid, an accident with injuries (real or not.) Anyone who is subject to the rolling infomercial that is terrestrial radio undoubtedly has heard all of the commercials for the ambulance chasing lawyers. Would you be SOL in the court of law by exceeding the limits of the vehicle? I don't know for sure, but it would make me think that one through before hooking up to something that large. IMO.
Insurance companies WILL now look at the tow vehicles ratings. Of course this is only if you have a mishap, otherwise nothing will ever be said. And like they need another "out" to not pay a claim? Don't give 'em one, tow within your rating.

And hence why I had to upgrade my TV. I owned a perfectly awesome '14 Denali SRW that towed my 34' legally (barely in the eye of the law, handled it quite easily in the eye of me!). My wife and I opted to go for an upgraded RV, went all the way up to a 45' 21K unit (monster!). This meant the truck needed to be upgraded as well; hence my '17 F350 dually.

I also had to upgrade my 5th wheel hitch as my prior one was only rated at 20K. I went with the Reese Elite 25K series. Did I have to? No, but if I ever have an issue, this is now totally legit for what I am towing and the Insurance company will have no out.

Cheers and good luck.

Quick Reply: Towing a large 5th Wheel with F-250