2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What is the difference between the Platinum and the Lariat?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Security systems are the same exact thing...not sure where that notion is coming from. Same 4 ultrasonic sensors in roof, tilt sensor, and perimeter alarm.

On a Platinum dually, you don't get special rims.

Interestingly, previous gen Lariat trucks had the all black interior and headliner.

One more difference I forgot about. Platinum and KR trucks have soft vinyl wrapped upper door trim and soft armrests on the REAR doors, like the Lariat only has in the front doors.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Everyone leaves out the King Ranch i know its not in the subject line but I thought I would add when I finally replace my 2011 KR it will be with another as they have more color options than the platinum.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:11 AM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
Differences between EQUALLY OPTIONED Platinum and Lariat Ultimate:
* Nicer leather
* Multi-Contour (massaging) seats
* Painted bumpers
* Tailgate applique
* Different front grill
* REAL wood grain
* Lighted door sills
* Actual textured "platinum" trims inside
* Platinum specific floor mats
* Different control ***** inside
* Different aluminum wheels
* Higher level of security system?
* Black upper interior and headliner
* Platinum (and KR) have soft vinyl wrapped upper door trim and soft armrests on the REAR doors. The Lariat has it only on the front doors

The difference continues to be about $4,670 more for the Platypus

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just glad they don't put " PLATINUM" down the side still. I hated that and wouldn't have bought one if they did.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 AM
#1Ford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The builds you listed are not equal. For instance I do not see 20 inch wheels on the Lariat or any of the chrome bits like exhaust tip or door handles. Why on the Platinum did you leave off the Heavy Service suspension? One other item is the Platinum has auto high beams which the Lariat does not. When I went through a similar exercise prior to buying my 2017 KR F250 I pretty much proved that there is not a premium paid for any of the versions but rather a point of optioning vs price that was comfortable with. For instance having owned several King Ranch and other versions of the Super Duty one of the KR pluses to me that I am willing to pay for is the seats are all cowhide leather (sides and backs included). Just pick a dollar amount for the truck you want to have sitting in your drive and be happy with your choice no explaining or justification necessary. YMMV

Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 AM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by #1Ford
The builds you listed are not equal. For instance I do not see 20 inch wheels on the Lariat or any of the chrome bits like exhaust tip or door handles. Why on the Platinum did you leave off the Heavy Service suspension? One other item is the Platinum has auto high beams which the Lariat does not. When I went through a similar exercise prior to buying my 2017 KR F250 I pretty much proved that there is not a premium paid for any of the versions but rather a point of optioning vs price that was comfortable with. For instance having owned several King Ranch and other versions of the Super Duty one of the KR pluses to me that I am willing to pay for is the seats are all cowhide leather (sides and backs included). Just pick a dollar amount for the truck you want to have sitting in your drive and be happy with your choice no explaining or justification necessary. YMMV
Thanks.

Heavy Service Suspension was added by Ford's Build & Price. It's only $125.00

I didn't add the chrome package because the Platinum comes with painted bumpers.

You're right. I didn't add 20" wheels because I don't want them (going aftermarket).

Others have mentioned the higher quality leather which is on the list.

The point is still the same - the Platinum is about $4,000 more than an almost identically equipped Lariat.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by #1Ford
...For instance having owned several King Ranch and other versions of the Super Duty one of the KR pluses to me that I am willing to pay for is the seats are all cowhide leather (sides and backs included)...
That's a common misconception. A small amount of the back of the King Ranch seat is leather; the rest is good quality vinyl.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:23 PM
tuclai
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
What chrome? I'm not opting for the Chrome Package and the Platinum's bumpers are painted to match the body color.

Auto tailgate - is that standard on the Platinum? Is it available on the Lariat?

What brushed metal - where?

Thanks!
I have a Platinum and a guy near me has Lariat with Ultimate Package... some key differences we noticed outside of whatever options you may opt for...

1. The wood trim is different, Lariat is like a matte finish.
Platinum is like a glossy finish.

2. The center console's silver trim on the Platinum is textured, while on the
Lariat its a smooth finish.

3. The leather on the Platinum is different, at least for the front seats, not
sure about the rear seats.

4. Platinum lighted logo on the front door sill

5. Front grille and rear tailgate trim

I want to say every other option can be added in a Lariat. Not sure about the massage seat.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I purchased a top of the line Lariat with all the options of a Platinum minus the seats and special badge trim. Really to me the only difference between them was the quality and comfort of the seats. I don't care about shiny chrome or brushed chrome, or signature door sills.
To be honest I think if I had to do it again I would have sprung for the extra $4500 and done the Platinum. The leather is much nicer and more important the seats are more comfortable.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 AM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Updated...

Differences between EQUALLY OPTIONED Platinum and Lariat Ultimate:
* Nicer leather - "Quality and comfort of the seats"
* Multi-Contour (massaging) seats
* Painted bumpers
* Tailgate applique
* Different front grill
* REAL wood grain - "The wood trim is different, Lariat is like a matte finish. Platinum is like a glossy finish."
* Lighted door sills - Platinum lighted logo on the front door sill
* Actual textured "platinum" trims inside
* Platinum specific floor mats
* Different control ***** inside
* Different aluminum wheels
* Higher level of security system?
* Black upper interior and headliner
* Platinum (and KR) have soft vinyl wrapped upper door trim and soft armrests on the REAR doors. The Lariat has it only on the front doors
* Center console - "The center console's silver trim on the Platinum is textured, while on the Lariat it's a smooth finish."

The difference continues to be about $4,670 more for the Platypus