Long Trip Prep

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 PM
mikereidjr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Long Trip Prep

Hello

We are headed out west for 2 weeks in about a month. We are just outside of Chicago and heading to Yellowstone as our final destination and all the places in between.

What should I be doing to my F250 and my keystone Travel Trailer before we leave?https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/i...tor/attach.gif

My trailer is a 2013, I bought new wheels and tires for it, and will be re-packing the bearings.

My truck has 63k on it, I just did the brakes, I will be buying new tires, and I want to replace the shocks.

Any other ideas, suggestions, or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 05-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Keep gas in your tank, make sure your trailer brakes and lights work, and enjoy your trip. It's what your truck was designed to do.

Have fun and post some pics when you get back.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Pre trip jitters. The wife gets them worried she won't have enough stuff, I get them about the truck and trailer. So far the Ex has been good to us and no failures. We are only going on a 700 mile trip next week with the car hauler, I will be double checking everything this weekend.

Check your fluids (incl rear end grease) tires, lights and have fun.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:03 PM
The John
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Should be good to go, besides checking all of the Pertainent stuff I always ask Trailer people (myself included in the trailer people) these things:
-Can you change a flat tire (if even in a pinch)
Sub question: do you have a lug wrench that fits the trailer tires?

For myself, I always travel with a kit that has the means to patch a tire (assuming worst case scenario and I have/am using the spare or I have two flats at once). I always bring a spare set of hub parts to keep the nerves at bay (as I have repacked a bearing to have it fail within 2k miles on the side of a road, at night, in the rain as I live in the PNW, nowhere near anything, and I was able to change it out and get to camp safely).

I try to be prepared to fix any issue that could reasonably come up, but 99% of the time I am carrying extra parts that go on very long rides.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:56 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Good call on the wrench for changing tires. When hauling distance I make sure I bring my 1/2" breaker bar, a torque wrench and appropriate socket sizes. 75 miles after changing a tire I will re-torque.

Every time I stop I touch tires on trailer and truck and hubs of trailer to see if one is getting hot. A low tire or a dragging brake will cause heat.

I always bring a can of fuel on long hauls, you never know when you will need it and it's a little peace of mind.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:30 AM
BCooke
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an impact socket set with a breaker bar (extensions of course, missed the first time ) torque wrench. Then a small pouch with some hand tools and 12 gauge wire with a couple connectors and wire nuts. Flash light. ATV compressor in the camper
Wire has multi uses:
brother in-laws muffler bracket replacement (if you strip the insulation) one time.
Tie down
Wire tie replacement
Wire..

Old 05-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Freedom1955
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a set of KYB Mono Max shocks on my 2500HD and really like them.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Avoid last minute maintenance!
A week or two of daily driving BEFORE the big trip, check fluids a few times, tire pressure, bulb check wipers and wiper fluid.

Nothing worse than on the 2nd day of trip you realize you lost oil cap, have a bad wiper blade, etc because you did maintenance in a hurry the day before you left.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Avoid last minute maintenance!
A week or two of daily driving BEFORE the big trip, check fluids a few times, tire pressure, bulb check wipers and wiper fluid.

Nothing worse than on the 2nd day of trip you realize you lost oil cap, have a bad wiper blade, etc because you did maintenance in a hurry the day before you left.

Agreed, know your truck and take care of stuff before you are in a push.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:41 AM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
A guy can never think of everything but a CC with a zero balance and a high limit is reassuring.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:44 AM
The John
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AMXDREAMER
Every time I stop I touch tires on trailer and truck and hubs of trailer to see if one is getting hot. A low tire or a dragging brake will cause heat.
The above is good info too, I do this and touch the hubs to make sure they arent getting too hot either (they will be warm after a bit on the road, but shouldnt be too hot to touch).

Most things that come up dont come up suddenly, so just pay attention to your rig and go with the flow. Good Luck on your trip west, it will be a huge change from Chicago.....

Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 AM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have always carried an extra set of trailer wheel bearings. Grease seal and grease of course. Haven't needed them yet knock on wood, but have a couple of times questioned my bearings during a repack on how much longer they would have gone before trouble happened.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
You about, with the suggestions, have it covered. I don't recall seeing a torque wrench - a Harbor Freight clicker will usually work just fine.

Gotta ask - is 2 weeks going to be long enough on that trip for 4-5 days in Yellowstone and the surrounding area? There are at least the Black Hills of SD and Mt Rushmore, and if with kids, a few hours at Wall, SD (you will see signs a hundred miles before you get to Wall/Wall Drug) to part your wallet of a few bucks on the way there and the Grand Teton's, etc on the way back .......

Old 05-15-2017, 02:05 PM
72_Mach1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep gas in your tank

Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
Keep gas in your tank, make sure your trailer brakes and lights work, and enjoy your trip. It's what your truck was designed to do.

Have fun and post some pics when you get back.
^^^Keep gas in your tank is the best advice I've seen. We did this exact trip last summer with our 2014 Keystone Passport. On the way back, we coasted into Gillette, WY for fuel. There are signs on I-90 out there warning you of limited fuel availability. We had half a tank and I thought we were fine. We were, but it was too close for comfort.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 AM
mikereidjr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you for all of your replies, We are really looking forward to the trip.

We are spending 4 days in Yellowstone and 2 in cody, and 3 in Rapid city, It may not be long enough, but we only have so much time. My parents are driving their 38 foot bus and we are pulling our travel trailer.

We just had our first child in December so between all of us and our 2 campers we it should be a great time even for him.

Quick Reply: Long Trip Prep