1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

ATS Suspension Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:02 AM
BriWas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS Suspension Review

The short: Good product, excellent in-person and over the phone support from staff (Bob Sr.), and a fair price for what was provided.

The details:

I just upgraded my 1998 E250 Sportsmobile campervan with much-needed new rear leaf springs, bought from FTE site sponsor and contributor @ATS Junior (ATS Suspension). Figured I'd post a real-world follow-up review here.

I looked at them first because of their activity here on FTE, and then realized that they were only 45 minutes away from me here in the Philadelphia area, so that made things much easier. I drove up last week and had Bob Sr. take a look at my van, which had a serious case of saggy-rear syndrome. He recommended that I upgrade the leaf set from the stock 3/1 leaves and add an extra leaf (4/1) to give it better long-term reliability. My van is built-out inside as a camper, with cabinets, dinette bed, three heavy AGM batteries, and all that, so it carries a constant load. I was a bit worried about ride quality with adding the extra leaf, but as it turns out it rides fine and feels way better than the old spring pack did.

I called back earlier this week and ordered the springs kit, which included new shackles, bolts, all bushings (pre-installed), etc. Everything needed to do the swap. ATS can do the install, but I had my local mechanic do it because it was more convenient than leaving my van at ATS all day since I'm a 1.5-hour round-trip away from their location.

I picked up the kit earlier this week, and dealt with Bob Jr. At first there was a mix-up with the springs, and they gave me a 3/1 set rather than the 4/1 set I had ordered. Thankfully I noticed it before I drove away, and they quickly remedied the issue and added the extra leaf (I guess they actually build the spring packs there).

My local mechanic installed everything yesterday with no issues. Quality seemed good, and everything fit fine. The springs and shackles are painted, not powder coated, and when I asked about that they said that powder coating has caused issues with rust, when water gets behind it. I don't have an opinion on that, so I'll take their word on it.

Overall, a good experience, and I'd buy from them again. Nice to have them within driving distance, too.

Photo is "after" with new springs (top) and "before," below (sorry for the low-light before photo, kinda hard to see the sag).

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 PM
richter roxs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good you definitely picked up the rear , plus the new springs will carry the load way better ,

you should think of a rear sway bar if you dont have one , makes a huge difference.

nice looking ride , enjoy

Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM
BriWas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richter roxs
Looks good you definitely picked up the rear , plus the new springs will carry the load way better ,

you should think of a rear sway bar if you dont have one , makes a huge difference.
Yup, installed a rear sway bar off an E450 a few years back. Definitely a great difference on the extended vans. And only $35 at the Pick-n-Pull!

That, coupled with Bilsteins all around and a swap to a 2012 front suspension/brakes several years ago makes the suspension pretty much all upgraded at this point (still running original front coil springs, though).

Old 05-12-2017, 01:27 PM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the write up. That's a nice looking rig.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:06 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts