Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need some lift info for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Powerstroke99 7.3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, I have a question, I have a 99 F-350 PSD. It has a 6" lift with 36x14.50x16.5 tires. when the tires wear out I am going to 38x15.50x16.5 tires, they will fit but just wanted to see if there is any way of doing like a 1 inch body lift just to give the truck a little more height. I am not a big body lift type of guy but dont want to shell out $1800 for a 8" lift when I already have a perfect 6" setup that I like. I will do it with my buddy (Customizier for steel and other products) but was woundering if anybody has put a body lift on.

Thanks
Tyler

Old 09-03-2003, 03:38 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster

I'm not a "body lift" guy either, and I don't remember the details, but I've heard that putting a body lift on a diesel poses different problems than on a gasser. It has something to do with the way the truck is designed, but can't remember what it is exactly.
Where do you anticipate having a clearance problem? If it's the front bumper, you coud either shim it out a little, or grind off a small section where you rub.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke99 7.3
Freshman User

well, I am doing a bumper extention, and I also know that it will rub on the leaf springs when I turn hard, I know a guy who has the same lift I do and has 38's. it looks cool, but I was woundering if there was a way I could get a few more inches taller without buying another lift.

Thanks
Tyler

Old 09-03-2003, 03:56 PM
cwb
Posting Guru

Spring hangers for the front and blocks for the back. Probably run you about 800 bucks though and the smallest hangers are 3 1/2".

Old 09-03-2003, 04:19 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a mini spring pack or make one of your own by cutting a piece of 1" plate the size of your spring pads and a bit longer and drill a hole in it and put a longer center pin through it and put it with your front springs and wala! You may need slightly longer u-bolts if yours don't have an inch of threads exposed.

That's basically what the mini spring pack is that edge offers just cheaper.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:50 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend

I think that the Edge 2" mini spring pack is only meant to be used on stock springs.

Hanger and Shackle in the front and a little bigger block in the rear would work.......I wouldn't go over a 6" block though. 2-4.5" heights are available.

Or, run Bushwacker cut-out flares and 38/15.5R16.5 tires on 16.5x12 wheels and you won't rub on the springs or the fenders even off roading.

With a body lift on a PSD you would need to modify the intercooler tubes.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:26 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru

the problem with the body lift on the diesel is with the intercooler. Something like you sould have to re-fab the intercooler tubes. Thats what i heard.....

Old 09-03-2003, 09:28 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend

Originally posted by 02superstroker
the problem with the body lift on the diesel is with the intercooler. Something like you sould have to re-fab the intercooler tubes. Thats what i heard.....

Yep, cut and reweld the tubes......since the body lift raises the location of the intercooler in relationship to the motor.

Old 09-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke99 7.3
Freshman User

ok, thanks for the idea's guys. I am glad there are other ways than a body lift, I dont like them. I really dont want to buy new wheels because I already spent (about a 1 1/2 ago) $300 per rim for some Welds. Maybe it I get a deal. But I am thinking of the 1" plates now. Even though I already have a blocks in the rear springs, I will be switching to custom Rear springs because nobody makes a 6" rear spring from what I could find and now it probably needs to be 7" now. the track bars I have help alittle. If I do, do them then I will be putting a lot of time into design and making sure they are safe.

Thanks for the info guys,
once all of that stuff is done I will be shooting for more Ponies. I am at 270 rwhp right now and the goal is 400+.

Thanks
Tyler

Old 09-03-2003, 11:22 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru

You don't need a bigger rear spring. You could use an add a leaf or go with a slightly taller block than the one you have now.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:27 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend

Originally posted by Powerstroke99 7.3
Even though I already have a blocks in the rear springs, I will be switching to custom Rear springs because nobody makes a 6" rear spring from what I could find and now it probably needs to be 7" now. the track bars I have help alittle. If I do, do them then I will be putting a lot of time into design and making sure they are safe.

I know that Edge offers a 8" rear spring......I think BDS might too.

How big is the block that you have on there now??

Old 09-04-2003, 10:47 AM
cwb
Posting Guru

Edge, Deaver, National and Atlas all make a 6" spring. RRmike it sounds like you are suggesting that he put a 1" block in the front. I know ,however, that no such awful suggestion could ever come from a moderator, so you must have meant the rear springs.

Old 09-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke99 7.3
Freshman User

Well I have a 5 1/2 inch block plus a add a leaf. I will be putting a lot of Hp to the rear wheels in the next year just need something for right now because if I am putting out over 400 HP I dont want to have 7 inches of blocks in the rear. how do I contact Edge? I am installing a Track bar and that will help the blocks but I dont want to rely on it.

Thanks
Tyler

Old 09-04-2003, 11:12 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend

For info on the Edge you can get their number of off their website. www.donahoeracing.com .

Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:04 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru

Originally posted by cwb
Edge, Deaver, National and Atlas all make a 6" spring. RRmike it sounds like you are suggesting that he put a 1" block in the front. I know ,however, that no such awful suggestion could ever come from a moderator, so you must have meant the rear springs.
No, a block goes under your front springs and is not attached. I'm suggesting a 1" plate with a hole through it with a center pin through it and the springs so that they are 1 piece. We usually use the rear overload and cut it shorter and put it under the front springs when we build a lifted truck with new rear springs. It seems almost every lift (especially for psd) sags a little in the front and this helps it sit more level.

With the pin through it it is perfectly safe. Look at the edge mini spring pack. It is essentially the same thing except 2 short springs to stick under your front spring versus 1 thicker spring/plate.

Last edited by RRMike; 09-04-2003 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some lift info for my truck