Towing a 5th wheel?

Old 05-11-2017, 05:02 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
You won't find the 3.5 in a SD because of durability over the long haul, you run that 3.5 day in and day out with a big load and I don't think it will have a long life.

Good luck with your setup but I think your on for some white knuckle outings in your Texas cross winds with that high profile trailer and 1/2 ton truck, I have a lot of experience in Texas wind.

Denny
We currently live in Portland, OR but plan on heading back to Texas eventually. I'll do my best to keep everyone posted on the results. Since we ordered this 5'r new, we won't even get to use it until June. - Thanks

Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 AM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Update: We finally heard back from Camping World/Jayco and it appears the king pin weight on that new 2018 28.5 RSTS is 1520 lbs DRY. Unfortunately, that'll put me over capacity and be a potential liability. I've used the local Ford dealer to search for an F150 with Max Payload/Max Tow and it seems that configuration isn't very popular with the masses as there's only 4 in the Pacific Northwest. So instead of going that route, we've decided to upgrade to a brand new 2017 F250 XLT 6.2L 4X4 to do the job. We're still working out the specifics but we should have a done deal in the next week.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
get 4.30 gears, tow mirrors and the TBC on it.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:41 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PackerBacker_TX
Update: We finally heard back from Camping World/Jayco and it appears the king pin weight on that new 2018 28.5 RSTS is 1520 lbs DRY. Unfortunately, that'll put me over capacity and be a potential liability. I've used the local Ford dealer to search for an F150 with Max Payload/Max Tow and it seems that configuration isn't very popular with the masses as there's only 4 in the Pacific Northwest. So instead of going that route, we've decided to upgrade to a brand new 2017 F250 XLT 6.2L 4X4 to do the job. We're still working out the specifics but we should have a done deal in the next week.
Get HD Payload package and that pin weight will be fine. The Max Payload comes with 3.73 axle and that will also be fine up to 12,000 lbs. Ford had a hold on the HD Payload for a couple years so almost impossible to find but you can now order it.
No need to wait for dealers to find out RV specs. The Jayco.com website has all the specs for each model as does most other manufacturers sites.
Going with the 2017 is a smart move for the brand new, stronger engine with the extra 50 ft/lbs of torque.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
another tip, dry pin wt means nothing. Go by the GVW of the trailer and figure 20% will be the king pin wt. You will never travel with the dry wt they advertise.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
get 4.30 gears, tow mirrors and the TBC on it.
I second the 4.30 gears
With the 6 speed they won't affect your empty mileage unless you run at supper high speeds but the the gain when pulling will be worth any loss. The dealers will fight you tooth and nail on the gears but they don't have a clue. I've been pulling 5th wheels trailers for 30 years and I've made the gear mistake once a long time ago but never again.

Denny

Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,287 Posts
I'll agree with the 4.30 gears if ordering a gas truck they will not disappoint having the truck in the sweet spot for pulling.
I don't believe youll be disappointed in the 250 over the 150 it a better tool for the job.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:30 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Sorry - I don't think this comes with the 4.30 everyone's talking about..
2017 Ford F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.2L V8, 6 speed, 3.73 w/E-locker, 8’ bed, Trailer tow package, 10K GVWR package, Camper package, ultimate trailer tow camera.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
you can get 4.30 gears, keep searching or order the truck. There is more than this one out there.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Lees350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad you've decided to upgrade. I think the only piece of advice nobody mentioned here was that if you were overweight and god forbid, there was an accident. Its most likely the insurance company would not cover you. I checked with mine and they stated if you are over the limits of the vehicle, you will not be covered.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:39 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
So you have a policy with at fault exclusions i.e. if you are at fault you don't have coverage? How about if you drive drunk or turn in front of someone? Do you actually have a clause in your policy that says if your truck is overweight while towing, you do not have coverage? Your policy is the legal document that has to list the exclusions. for which you do not have coverage.

Just wondering,

Steve

Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Lees350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good point, I'd have to check. This is what I was told, however it was from a help desk person from India or somewhere... so ya, you're probably right .

Still, I wouldn't want that on my conscious if someone was to get hurt.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:06 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Lees350
That's a good point, I'd have to check. This is what I was told, however it was from a help desk person from India or somewhere... so ya, you're probably right .

Still, I wouldn't want that on my conscious if someone was to get hurt.
Lee,

I am virtually sure I am right as who would ever buy insurance with clauses so that it only payed out if the other party was at fault? If that were the case and we had an at fault accident we would be just a liable as if we had no insurance at all.

Not trying to suggest being overweight is a good idea. I have my CAT scale receipts for my truck, our fifth wheel, and our truck camper, all under manufacturer's weight ratings.

Steve

Old 08-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
I was not going to post anything, but since Steve started it I will say my peace.

I don't condone driving unsafely either, be it overweight, or whatever. Although, consider all of the accidents that have been paid out because of texting and driving, DUI, falling asleep at the wheel, eating, reckless driving, the list goes on and on.

I think your insurance company told you "no", because it is an easier answer than "well yes, but you yada yada yada..."

My statement does not hold water in regards to you having insurance after the claim, but that is up to your insurance company.

Tow, haul and drive safely, but more importantly pay attention for the ones on the road that don't.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Dock/Rocker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
So you have a policy with at fault exclusions i.e. if you are at fault you don't have coverage? How about if you drive drunk or turn in front of someone? Do you actually have a clause in your policy that says if your truck is overweight while towing, you do not have coverage? Your policy is the legal document that has to list the exclusions. for which you do not have coverage.

Just wondering,

Steve
No insurance polices that I have read have any specific exclusion for being overweight or any of the associated issues. I am not saying that there are not some out there that do, because I have only read a couple of dozen forms. There are hundreds of different companies that write their own forms so it could happen.

In my opinion the risk is not with your insurance, its with the other party's lawyer. If you cause an injury or involved in an accident that isn't your fault and a trial lawyer does the math (and they will) you are in trouble. Its simple math to say that you willingly put the public at risk by overloading your vehicle. Once that is established you can be on the hook even if it is not your fault.

Once you get to court or talking settlement they will be asking for much more than most people carry as a limit on their auto insurance. My personal opinion is that if you pull a camper you need to have max limits and a personal umbrella for a minimum of 1 million.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing a 5th wheel?