Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors - Page 7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors

Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM
6_Myles
Senior User
6_Myles is starting off with a positive reputation.
will double check everything, but yes to all previously

Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
It seems to be your HPOP...

Did you use the right gasket? The wrong one will not work properly...uhm...what HPOP are you using?

You do not have check valves in the HPOP fittings (removed them?)

I read there is a way to deadhead the HPOP and test the pressure. Maybe someone remembers the link?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
I think the procedure is described in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...sure-test.html

Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 PM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.

Pull one of the oil rail plugs and put it in one of the hpop outlets, then put a 3500 psi gauge on the other outlet and crank it over. It should immediately jump over 3000 psi. If not, it's either a loose gear, or a bad pump.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Did you follow these instructions when you installed the new HPOP?

What about step #17 (aligning the gear)?

See the attached PDF file.

Attached Images
Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 AM
6_Myles
Senior User
I did follow those instructions and torqued the shaft bolt to 95lbs.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:19 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
I did follow those instructions and torqued the shaft bolt to 95lbs.
How do you *know* the gears are meshed? I haven't done it yet and it doesn't seem to tell you?

Maybe it's obvious

Old 05-11-2017, 03:29 PM
6_Myles
Senior User
I assume it means that the HPOP is sitting square and flush to the resevior...there's no real 'teeth' on the shaft.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
I assume it means that the HPOP is sitting square and flush to the resevior...there's no real 'teeth' on the shaft.
I've read about some times where it seemed like it was installed okay, but the teeth weren't properly meshed.

In any case, once you test the HPOP deadheaded, you'll know for certain

Old 05-11-2017, 04:43 PM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Once you open the top of the reservoir you'll see it. When you remove the HPOP front cover plate the 95ft-lbf torqued bolt shown in Fig. 8 of the RR HPOP instruction sheet can be seen, and it holds the gear onto the HPOP input shaft. Once the bolt is removed and the HPOP is slid back out from the reservoir, the gear can be lifted straight up out through the top of the reservoir. It's driven by a gear on the camshaft(?). I don't see how it's possible that this gear can be located anywhere but in contact with the camshaft gear.

I don't remember what keeps the gear locked to the HPOP shaft, but if it's a woodruff key, maybe the new HPOP didn't have a woodruff key on it?
An HPOP rebuilder would know ...

Old 05-11-2017, 04:45 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post

I don't remember what keeps the gear locked to the HPOP shaft, but if it's a woodruff key, maybe the new HPOP didn't have a woodruff key on it?
An HPOP rebuilder would know ...

Good old friction that is assisted by 95ft/lbs of torque on the HPOP gear/shaft bolt. Nothing more...

_

Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 PM
andym
Post Fiend
andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
There was no keyway on mine. I thought it strange for such a vital component. I seem to recall either Diesel O-rings or Riff Raff having instructions that said as long as the engine turns over, the bolt is torqued down enough. I didn't use a torque wrench on mine. I also don't quite understand how anyone would ever manage to reassemble it such that the gears weren't meshing, or weren't meshing properly.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:01 PM
JoeF250
Senior User
JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by andym View Post
There was no keyway on mine. I thought it strange for such a vital component.

In many applications where timing isn't critical, key ways have been done away with. They're not that great at transferring torque by themselves and they add unnecessarily to manufacturing cost. Plus if the joint is spun and they key is mangled or sheared it will really ruin your day.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Just imagine dropping that woodruff key during assembly or disassembly.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.