Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors

Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Senior User

6_Myles is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can i leave the HPX on, and just use more air/listen to both sides? I don't really have a means of blocking it off tonight
Old 05-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Elder User

The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
I think it'll push back through the hpop, but I'm not sure. Do you have a way to block one hpo line while pressurizing the other?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Senior User

I do not...
Old 05-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Elder User

The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
The IPR is just gonna leak the air into the block. Can you connect an hpo line from 1 head to the other, then pull one of the rail plugs and apply pressure?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 PM
Senior User

If i can get one hpo line to the other, i can pressurize through the ICP
Old 05-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Senior User

But i don't think they will reach
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 AM
Senior User

JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
64% IPR is fully closed. But the reading doesn't mean that it's actually fully closed, rather that the truck is commanding it fully closed. Doesn't mean it's actually getting there. Double check that it's installed correctly and functioning. I'd have tried the old one before I would have started some of the other tests. As the previous poster mentioned it's possible to install it so that it can't fully close.

As to lubing up the orings. Lightly oiled, may not be enough. When I did my orings I dipped them all before installing on the injectors and then dipped four full fingers in the oil and slathered it on the injectors like I was putting sun screen on a sexy redhead.

Any time your ramming a cylinder into a tight hole you can't have too much lubrication.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Senior User

Lolol, i dig your style Joe.

I just felt like the chances of a bad o-ring are much higher than a bad, brand new oem ipr. I also thought i could just take off my hpx and do the air test, which was easy too. Swapping ipr's out later today
Old 05-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
As long as it's not #5 or 7. Good luck!
Aw.... it ain't that bad. Of course, I said the same thing the first few times of popping those bass turds out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
so i'm gonna ask two maybe dumb questions:
1. does it matter which hpop line goes to which head?
2. I just tried to perform the Cody test by pulling my oil high pressure crossover and feeding down the driverside head....i was immediately sprayed with oil from the passenger side head.....is this normal?
1. It matters only in terms of which one reaches where.
2. You have a new HPOP, and it sounds to me like the check valves are not in there - or the oil would have stayed in the system. Since you are rid of the check valves in the HPOP, might I suggest you completely and permanently do away with the HPX. Removing the check valves performs the same function as the HPX, so removing the HPX simplifies the HPO system.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Removing the check valves performs the same function as the HPX, so removing the HPX simplifies the HPO system.
I'm making this same change this week/weekend.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Senior User

Good to know...i will do that. Anyone happen to know the thread/o-ring size of the plugs?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Senior User

JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Good to know...i will do that. Anyone happen to know the thread/o-ring size of the plugs?
I know it doesn't tell you the size. But I'm pretty sure these are the droids you're looking for. You could probably call Clay and ask, if you're​ in a hurry and need to find them locally.

High Pressure Oil Rail Exterior Plug - Riffraff Diesel Performance
Old 05-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Senior User

Thanks Joe! Local stealership has 4 instock. this will make the cody test waaayyyy easier.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Taking the HPX off will noty cure your problem. I still have mine on with the T50 witch doesn't have check valves. But doing the Cody test will let you know if the 0-rings are leaking. At this point, I say IPR or loose nut on HPOP. I'd do the IPR first. Then Cody test, if okay check the nut. If you built up over 2K psi with the IPR discounted it should of started. Do you have the wait to start light on?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Elder User

Quote:
I believe they're either #4 or #6 ORB. You'd probably save money at a hose shop.