Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors

Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Senior User

6_Myles is starting off with a positive reputation.
ICP 260psi max
IC DC: around 64%
FIPW: 0.60
engine rpm: 205
Voltage: Started 12.4 went to 11.1

Looks like a HP oil issue
Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Elder User

GEugeneS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
You mean the coil or the needle valve? In my head, I'm seeing a tinnerman nut being jammed into the IPR hole on the HPOP... and that can't be right.

Oh crap..... Doesn't the IPR and the EBPV have the same connector?
As I remember (which is poor) there is a sensor (might be a coil inside) that slides over the IPR "rod" which sticks out from the pump. Behind the sensor was a brass looking spacer and then the tinnerman nut. I had the spacer first, and the sensor behind.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Elder User

SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.
That "sensor" is an electromagnetic solenoid, which controls the inner workings of the IPR. By putting it at the end, it's kinda like getting ready for a field goal, but instead of setting up at the 30 yard line, you're stuck waay back behind the 50. No field goal tonight!

So guys, how shall we name this "mod"?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post
That "sensor" is an electromagnetic solenoid, which controls the inner workings of the IPR. By putting it at the end, it's kinda like getting ready for a field goal, but instead of setting up at the 30 yard line, you're stuck waay back behind the 50. No field goal tonight!

So guys, how shall we name this "mod"?
The no soup for you mod!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Posting Guru

jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
ICP 260psi max
IC DC: around 64%
FIPW: 0.60
engine rpm: 205
Voltage: Started 12.4 went to 11.1

Looks like a HP oil issue
Have you tried unplugging the ICP Sensor and try to crank yet?

Next, did you replace the new IPR with the old IPR and try to crank?

Those two steps are the easiest and will give us some valuable info and it will only take 5 mins to do both and report back.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Senior User

pulled the icp plug and icp went to 2145. still no joy or attempt to crank...just spinning.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Senior User

The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
It's gotta be either a leak, or the hpop drive gear slipping.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Senior User

i am beginning to concur. I'm going to do the Cody test in a bit and purchased 4 o-ring kits just in case. I'm hoping it's the drivers side, a little easier to remove the VC.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Elder User

SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.
Have you tried replacing the IPR yet? I got confused by GEugene's post earlier - thinking that was you...
Old 05-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Elder User

Quote:
pulled the icp plug and icp went to 2145. still no joy or attempt to crank...just spinning.
This says your ICP sensor works, and the HPOP pressure reading is accurate. When my IPR starting sticking, my no start crank had IPR going from 65 - 98% and ICP staying around 200-250psi.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Senior User

The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
i am beginning to concur. I'm going to do the Cody test in a bit and purchased 4 o-ring kits just in case. I'm hoping it's the drivers side, a little easier to remove the VC.
As long as it's not #5 or 7. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Posting Guru

jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
I thought the 2147 psi was with the ICP sensor unplugged which would be default PCM ICP for that duty cycle????

Anywho, I would try swapping out the IPR next, and then as Brad said, make sure the bolt for the HPOP drive gear is torqued properly: 95 ft/lbs. If it is loose, it can cause low ICP. You can use a breaker bar and a block of wood on the crank shaft to prevent the engine from turning.

Do you have any raw diesel/white smoke being expelled out of the exhaust?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Senior User

so i'm gonna ask two maybe dumb questions:
1. does it matter which hpop line goes to which head?
2. I just tried to perform the Cody test by pulling my oil high pressure crossover and feeding down the driverside head....i was immediately sprayed with oil from the passenger side head.....is this normal?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Senior User

i don't have any smoke at all from the tailpipe....which leads to me to believe the injectors aren't firing, so HP oil issue.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Senior User

Quote:
so i'm gonna ask two maybe dumb questions:
1. does it matter which hpop line goes to which head?
2. I just tried to perform the Cody test by pulling my oil high pressure crossover and feeding down the driverside head....i was immediately sprayed with oil from the passenger side head.....is this normal?
Your HPX needs to be blocked off. The hpo lines can go to either head, but IIRC, one is longer for the passenger side. You're gonna want to keep 100+ psi in there for at least a couple of minutes. When I found my bad O rings, it took a good 90 seconds before I heard the gurgling...and don't forget to let the pressure out slowly so you don't take another oil bath.