Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:25 AM
6_Myles
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, but Joey said he replaced all the internals on the pump this time.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 6_Myles
Update:

It ain't good. Got the new unit around the 1st and was on vacation. Finally got around to swapping out the HPOP (the truck had been running great on the borrowed HPOP) and I get nothing. Swapped 3 IPR's, unplugged the IPS, swapped selinoids, and double checked everything.....and just cranking is all i get.

Put the cap and the guage on the pump, used my IPR jumper, and I get 0 psi again on the new pump.

It's 1:15am, and to say I'm a little frustrated is an understatement.
That sucks

Did the vendor actually TEST the T500 when you sent it back, or just look it over and say "it should be fine" and send it back?

You shouldn't have any problem by just using the IPR you are with the borrowed unit.

Sometimes I think vendors get complacent and make incorrect assumptions about their customers' abilities. I had purchased a turbo wheel from a well-known vendor and the threads were the wrong pitch or diameter and wouldn't thread on the turbo shaft, even with significant force. I sent it back and never heard back.

One day I was talking with that vendor and he said, "Oh, we just put that on a truck here, no problem- yet couldn't really remember the situation." I had checked and measured the incorrect threads and tried it on two different turbo shafts to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Did I care why it was wrong? Of course. Did I care more than the vendor? Seems so. Was the vendor truthful with me? I doubt it- threads don't mysteriously change their size. He probably ran the tap back through it and kept mum about it. Either that or tossed it in the scrap pile

What did I do? Requested a refund and bought a wheel from someone else, avoiding a quality control issue that I had neither the time, nor patience to argue about. I was 100% certain (big number in my world) it was wrong, wouldn't work for me, I got my money back, made a post so others had fair warning, and moved on.

Maybe it's time for you to do the same? Get pics and details, insist on a refund and all shipping on the vendor's dime, and insist on a working (stock?) HPOP be returned to you- assuming your core was working when you sent it in.

It is the vendor's responsibility to make you whole again if they messed it up. Not doing a proper test or providing some sort of explanation or results from the vendor (now I'm assuming, maybe he did and you can share it with us?)....would be irresponsible and put them in my "unreliable" column.

Search on my posts and you'll see I also get defective, incomplete or incorrect parts from vendors all the time. I just spent two days recently fabricating "studs" for my billet intake plenums because the instructions listed them, my install required them, but the vendor decided (without notice) that we just all had to mod our trucks and eliminate other components, leaving me hang during the weekend install.

If it was my HPOP, I'd have the vendor on the phone and give him a chance to explain what he found and what he did to fix it when you sent it back- and more importantly- how he is going to resolve the situation.

As a "trusted vendor" here for a few years, he deserves a chance to make it right and offer his knowledge, but that does not absolve him of his responsibilities to provide a non-defective product.

Who knows, you might find out your procedure has some mistake in it that is biting you, but not every time. Did you have help when you swapped in the borrowed HPOP?

Can you think of anything you did differently during the T500 install?

I almost put a T500 on my list a few weeks ago when I thought the gaskets and non-serviceable plug were leaking. A few extra weeks of downtime playing around with a defective unit would have been complete disaster for our trip

I REALLY hope your conversation goes well and you find something between you that can be resolved over the phone and get you going!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 AM
6_Myles
Tuned
He said he bench tested it before he sent it out.

No, i put in the borrowed HPOP on my own and can't think of anything different. I have a fuel bowl delete and a regulated return, and I take it all off when doing the HPOP so it's a pretty straight shot at removing/install. I feel like it's gotta be something simple/stupid but given the scenario it's has to be on the inside of the pump on one of the ports.

Joey has offered to just send me an entirely different unit.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Get the different unit or refund. I have the T500 and love it, but you have proved by installing a different unit that works, it's not your fault. Did you buy this thur Clay? If so, get him involved. Or wait, I think you said earlier it was Jody, I'd do the same thing. They should over night the different unit so you can get going. That would go a long way to restoring faith here at FTE. He's had some home problems of late, but I hope it doesn't effect this part of his business.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Been watching this closely and interested to see how it plays out.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:28 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Joey has offered to just send me an entirely different unit.
Sounds like he's stepping up to take responsibility

I'd also suggest you take him up on his offer. Get your truck going and he can take his time with the autopsy to solve the mystery as you drive around happy

Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 PM
6_Myles
Tuned
Well, just heard back from Joey and he doesn't have any cores available....so I guess I'm gonna send this one back in and he's going to rebuild the whole thing again.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I can't recall the reason why you "need" the T500. But, at this point in time I'd be running a stock pump...unless your injectors require bigger oil.

I know that doesn't help the frustration level though.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 PM
6_Myles
Tuned
Update again. Pulled the dead HPOP yesterday as i've been on vacation and put the borrowed one back in, and she fired right back up and has been running great......

.....until about 10 minutes ago when something happened out of the blue driving down the road and I got a p1316 code (IDM) and I ran a buzz test and got a p1273 (#3 cylinder high to low side open).

I'm just absolutely defeated with this truck right now.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
This is a long thread and I can't remember but if you haven't checked the wire harness for the 42 pin connector where it crosses the diver side valve cover then check it for rubbing thru on the bottom of the harness where it touches.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I checked that chafe point just the other day when pulling my valve covers to remove my injectors. There was only a small shiny spot on the valve cover (a little smaller than a dime in size) but the harness sheath was worn through and some of the wire insulation as well.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
6_Myles, there are a lot of FTE members following this thread and looking for it each time they log in, including me.

As you can see from the replies and the borrowed parts, we are here to help.

Look at it this way, when you do get it going right, it should be good for a while. I fought my truck for 3 years with a clutch chatter/shudder problem. I finally got it straightened out with the help of many FTE members including one that did the work for me.

AllAboutMPG has taken time out of his day off to drive up 5 hours to help me out at a campground when my steering pump exploded.

We are here to help, and will do so in whatever way we can.

Keep at it brother, it will be good to go again soon.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:30 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Update again. Pulled the dead HPOP yesterday as i've been on vacation and put the borrowed one back in, and she fired right back up and has been running great......

.....until about 10 minutes ago when something happened out of the blue driving down the road and I got a p1316 code (IDM) and I ran a buzz test and got a p1273 (#3 cylinder high to low side open).

I'm just absolutely defeated with this truck right now.
This is a long shot, but is it possible that the faulty HPOP not providing oil to the injectors caused an injector to be damaged while trying to start? The solenoid coils are designed to work with a certain amount of oil in the injector, providing lubrication. If there is a lack of oil, this lack of lubrication, could make the solenoids work harder, stressing the coil and possibly causing an open circuit in a coil. It is a long shot, but not entirely unreasonable.
Larry

Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 AM
JenC
Freshman User
I wanted to add something to this thread for discussion that I thought might be interesting for you guys to talk about. (OP, I am extremely sorry for your situation and wish any of my experience with pumps in the past could help but the posters in this thread really did cover just about everything for you to check).

We test every single pump before they leave our facility. We bring to operating temperature, test for leaks, test to confirm can hold pressure, blah blah so that customer's don't have to worry about a DOA unit. However, this doesn't mean we don't ever get "DOA" calls.

MOST of the time the solution is easy and the installer sees it right away: gear issues (most common), IPR issues usually in the form of faulty connections not necessarily a bad IPR (second most common), air still in the system (third most common), a dust plug left in the face where the mounting gasket sets (looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool), or my favorite of "I blew air into it to clear out the passages before installing" DOA and YES, this can cause a failure inside a freshly built pump.

But the most important part I want to mention that I thought you guys would find interesting is: The symptoms of the "no start after installation" call I get are ~250 PSI at max DC. LIKE ALWAYS.

Normally, a call with this symptom regardless of circumstance ends up being the IPR was no longer receiving command even though DC may read max (250 is the magic number!). But even a "jump start" from the battery won't fire up these trucks.

So we go through everything we can think of with the customer that we can think of that may have gone wrong during installation because a mechanical pump just can't take a dump while sitting in a box.
We'll get the unit back and we'll put it on the test stand and, unless it's an "I blew air through it!" pump, will hold pressure just like the day it was built. We'll then tear it down just to confirm the test stand isn't being stupid. No broken parts, no mechanical abnormalities, no signs of ingestion, and no sign of the customers oil ever having gone through it.

It does suck not being able to see what the customer is seeing when you're having them check for things that can go wrong during installation but these units ship right back to the customers with fresh gaskets and low and behold "she fired right on up" after fresh installation. I hate logging them and I hate making those phone calls. A customer with a broken pump is USUALLY pleased about getting taken care of so quickly. A customer with a non-broken pump usually hates you and thinks you're lying.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
JenC, correct me if I am wrong, but you are with/represent Diesel Site right?

6_myles bought a T500 and not an Adrenaline pump, but it is good to hear from other vendors sometimes.

Quick Reply: Do I just keep cranking? New HPOP and Injectors