1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your "Bullpen" recently ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:40 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What have you done to your "Bullpen" recently ?

The recent posts in WHYDTYTT thread got me thinking of a need for a thread in this forum to post tips, tricks, and upgrades that we make to our "Bullpens".....
(Bullhouse, and Bullcave just didn't sound right ). There is the Garage & Workshop forum in FTE but we don't always look at all of forums in FTE (personally, I only visit a few forums) so...what do Ya'll think ? Yes ? Or would it be redundant ?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Not redundant at all. And I'll start. Prompted by a post from one of our moderators, I'm in the process of "raising the roof". Actually, removing the ceiling in one spot. That will let me raise the top bar of the lift 10", and that means the lift will go up high enough that I can walk under the lift arms. (I can't count the number of times I've tried to walk under the lift arms, but didn't duck low enough. I have a hard head, but not that hard! Ouch!!!) So, a tip to the wise - when building a shop make SURE the ceiling is high enough to install a tall lift.

Does that fit with what you were thinking?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 688 Likes on 552 Posts
My 2 cents:

If at possible, pick a house with a detached garage. It's a little less convenient for access, but that is a HUGE advantage. You see, every house I've had before this had an attached garage. With that setup, crap just accumulates there no matter how hard you try to defend your territory. "Ooh, where should I put this big unwieldy box of stuff I don't really want but will never discard? Oh look! The garage, right through this conveniently located door..." Out of sight, out of mind.

Meanwhile, with a detached garage, nobody else ever has any need to go there. It's not technically off-limits to anybody else, but it just sort of works out that way due to the inconvenience. The garage door has a hasp and padlock, but I keep a key in the kitchen to give the illusion anybody can go out there. The key is on a big brass loop, too big for one's pocket, much like the gas station's restroom key on a hubcap.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by kr98664
My 2 cents:

If at possible, pick a house with a detached garage. It's a little less convenient for access, but that is a HUGE advantage. You see, every house I've had before this had an attached garage. With that setup, crap just accumulates there no matter how hard you try to defend your territory. "Ooh, where should I put this big unwieldy box of stuff I don't really want but will never discard? Oh look! The garage, right through this conveniently located door..." Out of sight, out of mind.

Meanwhile, with a detached garage, nobody else ever has any need to go there. It's not technically off-limits to anybody else, but it just sort of works out that way due to the inconvenience. The garage door has a hasp and padlock, but I keep a key in the kitchen to give the illusion anybody can go out there. The key is on a big brass loop, too big for one's pocket, much like the gas station's restroom key on a hubcap.
Actually, I'll go you one better. Buy a house with an attached garage and then build at least a detached garage, if not a shop. Stuff can then accumulate in the attached one and not the shop.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
My 2 cents:

Just what I did when the wife and I bought this house, it my "man cave"!

Sorry to say it is not tall enough for a lift but does have a nice smooth concrete floor.

All my "work" was done 2 years ago when we moved in.
Upgrade power to garage to 220 volt to run the pro-shop air compressor. Add more lights as it only had 2-8' lights for the bays, not has 5-8'lights.
Ran 5 drops for air around the bays with 2 kits.
For comfort got stereo, frig/freezer and microwave.

What I would like to do someday is insulate the garage and install heat & A/C so can work any time of year I want.
Dave ----

Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
What I would like to do someday is insulate the garage and install heat & A/C so can work any time of year I want.
​​​​​​
Re: the comfort thing - One previous house had a great feature I'd duplicate if building from scratch. In addition to the standard roll-up door in the front, it had a second roll-up on the back, too. On a warm day, I'd open both doors for maximum ventilation. It was fantastic.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:34 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Actually, I'll go you one better. Buy a house with an attached garage and then build at least a detached garage, if not a shop. Stuff can then accumulate in the attached one and not the shop.

That is an excellent idea!

I will go even further than that. Build a separate enclosure to the shop. Stuff won't accumulate next to your truck and accidentally fall on it. Plus, when you get mad and throw tools while working on something inside the shop, the flying debris won't hit your truck.

My house already has an attached 2-car carport. I am in the process of adding this to my existing shop in the backyard. It will be completely enclosed with a concrete floor when I am finished:

And I got this bitchin' sign last Christmas, compliments of my wife:

Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 AM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
And I got this bitchin' sign last Christmas, compliments of my wife:

Hat's off to the wife!

Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Rick - Your wife knew we needed this thread long before we did.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I find the huge advantage of a detached garage is two fold; I won't "fume out" the house while painting and cleaning, and do you really want a highly flammable "cube" (the garage it's self) full of gas, paints and solvents, welder, oxy torch, or anything else flammable actually attached to (or under) you kids bedroom?

When we bought the house we're in, that was one of my specific requirements,
"if the garage blows up, its over there"

There is no gas powered anything in or under the house, even the generator for power outages is 100' away..

Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM
displacement4me
More Turbo

I'll jump in! My new garage is still underway and it's the last step before I can bring my completed '85 chassis out of storage and then start body work. 18'x35', 15' tall. Not big enough but it was as large as I could build it in my subdivision. Recently sealed the polished concrete, now working on building my bench and overhead storage above the bench. I'll sheet in the skylights followed by paint and trim - then my girl comes home!

Name:  29C5BBF3-E2ED-4365-A944-0E5BA247EDFD_zpsishzs20a.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  1AB72132-8221-49C0-B38D-AC73592D7C86_zpse9uijhiq.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  611E46C0-D86C-4E08-B4B6-106D89D2D581_zps85w90tba.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  156.7 KB

Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by reamer

I just noticed the distinctive "NEW HAVEN" sign on the garage. Groovy! Did that come off a passenger car?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Sanford isnt allowed in the garage... All the work i have done has been outside the front doors.

However, today a friend ( who is a retired electrician) came over and he and i pulled some wires and put in some outlets and lights. the shop was built 8 years ago, for 8 years i have been working off one box of 4 plug ins. that includes the florescent lights being plugged into that box.

the florescent now have a wall switch, and i have 16 outlets now. in a few more weeks, we will put even more in.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:35 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=Gary Lewis;Does that fit with what you were thinking?[/QUOTE]
It sure does!

Old 05-09-2017, 01:36 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
I like where this is going

Quick Reply: What have you done to your "Bullpen" recently ?