1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 f350 to 11-16 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 f350 to 11-16 conversion

I have a 2000 f350 crew cab dually flatbed with 7.3. Starting to do a 11-16 front end and interior swap. Possibly a 05-16 front axle swap later on.

Picked up a complete 08 dash and a partial 11 dash. Ordered the 11 dash then next day found 08 dash on craigslist. Waiting to see how similar they are and if I can fill in the missing 11 parts with 08. If not will use 08 dash and sell 11. Using mcnasty dashy conversion kit. Probably use 04 f150 steering wheel.

Have manual vinyl seats from a 12. Prefer manual because no wiring and faster to adjust between me and wife driving. Driver side has blown airbag. Plan to sew or glue back together. Ordered coverking kryptek typhon tactical seat covers. No center console yet waiting for a decent deal. Replacing factory carpet. Adding some sound deadener and new vinyl floor.

Ordered 2014 door panels with pigtails.

Looking at mcneil racing 99-07 to 16 front end conversion kit. https://www.mcneilracinginc.com/prod...nt=19843322375

Not sold on the look of the bulge fender so looking at the 11-16 8" bulge utility fender. They look more factory and would help to run 335 continental mpt 81.
https://www.mcneilracinginc.com/prod...-stlye-fenders

Was only able to find a few pictures of the mcneil fiberglass kit after it was installed and painted. Not sure how it looks or what the quality of it is. If anyone has worked with the conversion kit or any of their fiberglass I would appreciate any info.

Already put a 12 bumper on another 2000. Will swap bumpers for now. Might build an offroad style bumper.

I am a welder. Have sheet metal and plate I can get for almost free. I would like to make as much of the adapter and bracket that I can. Only can't find too much detailed information on what others have done. Most only show pictures after the conversion is assembled. Some show part of the conversion and I have a few ideas of how to do it. It is my main vehicle so I don't want to be down too long making custom parts. If anyone has pictures with some measurements that would be great. I plan on showing what I come up with to help others.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Was finally able to start working on the truck. Took out seats carpet and cleaned the floor in about a hour. The guy I bought it from had kids and used it on a farm. There was food under the seats and dirt all over. Spent a few hours vacuuming the carpet and got most of the dirt out. There are a few stains left that I might be able to get out. It does look a little worn by the door sills but I didn't think it would actually clean up.

Wiped down the floor with goof-off. Put on two layers of rubber flashing for sound deadening. Then started to put in the new vinyl floor. When I ordered it I thought it was going to be a drop in replacement. It came as a rectangle that has bumps that match the floor. Its in the 50's outside and it is recommended to work with the vinyl in the 70's. Rolled it back up and thought about putting the carpet back in. Then I got 2 gallons of bed liner from harbor freight. Rolled on 3 layers so far and still have 1 1/4 gallons left. The harbor freight bed liner is the best I've used. It doesn't have any rubber chunks in it. With it rolled on it looks as good as if it was sprayed.

Attached Images     
Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Decided to go with the original carpet again. Spent several more hours vacuuming. Every time I thought one spot was good and moved to the next spot dirt would start coming up where I just vacuumed. So I propped it up and started hitting it with a stick. Then a lot of dirt came out. Vacuumed again and think most of it is out now. Took the carpet cleaner and started scrubbing. A few stains didn't come out. Thought about trying a wet rag and clothes iron to steam out the satins, but most will be under floor mats. Called it good for now maybe bring it in somewhere later and have the vinyl put in.

Got the new seats installed. Not sure if 2000's have a seatbelt alarm. Didn't hook up any of the wiring, but no warning light came on the dash. New seats are a little dirty and haven't washed them yet. Was hoping to put the seat covers on before installing, but tracking doesn't even give a estimated delivery yet. The seats are easy enough to pull out if I can't get the seat covers on easy. The easiest way to get the rear seat in and out was to pull the front seats, push the rear forward, and out the passenger door. Was able to replace the seats by myself in only a few minutes.

The driver seat has a blown airbag. Have to get some needles and thread to sew it back together. The airbag only split the thread, the vinyl didn't rip out. Should be able to rethread the existing stitching holes. Some of the foam was ripped out, but I have some I can cut and fill.

Took a drive after everything was back together. It seams like the road noise got louder. Had to turn the radio up a little louder. Wish I would have measured it before. Wasn't expecting a luxury vehicle, just figured it wouldn't hurt to do it while everything was out.

Attached Images    
Old 05-15-2017, 08:27 AM
vortec 1
Elder User
The 08 and 11 dash parts swap. I have an 11 dash that I just swapped the cup holder panel for the Manual trans panel as the Manual is what I needed. I did the conversion and Have a whole parts list with part numbers that may help and detail on my build link. Good luck!!!

Old 05-15-2017, 04:37 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Unwrapped the 2011 dash. The parts from the 08 snapped into place. Looks like the only differences are the instrument cluster, climate control, and wiring harness. I'm going with the 08 dash since its complete. Got the steel frame painted. Washed and oiled the main plastic piece.

The drivers side seat belt was pretty dirty and sticky. Wasn't sure if it could be saved. Sprayed it with degreaser and scrubbed. A lot of dirt and stains came out. Trimmed off some of the fraying strands and it doesn't look too bad now. Will scrub it a few more times to get it all clean.

While putting everything away for the day ups dropped off the seat covers. I ordered front and rear but only the rear came. They both have the same tracking number listed. Ups tracking only shows first pick up scan.

Got the covers on. Not a perfect fit in a few spots but might be able to fix that later. Couldn't figure out how to get the handle for the seat tilt off. After I struggled to get the bottom straps tight, I found out the bottom of the seats can lift up. Also makes getting to the back nuts for the seat real easy.

Attached Images      
Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice! wish I could score an 08 - 12 dash...honestly the 2008 design on the out side plus the 08 - 12 dash is how these truck should have looked from the start!! beautiful pieces!!!

Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM
10frank10
New User
Also going to be putting an 08-12 dash in my truck soon. Have it already but just need to get things rolling once I have a week or so to tackle it all. Will be following this thread. I've got a few wiring diagrams on my computer so if you need anything, I might be able to help out

Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
That's really rad. When more time permits in the future, I want to pick up another 7.3 and do the same thing.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Contacted mcneil racing for some information about the conversion kit. The hood and fenders are 3" longer than a stock 11-16. They did that so no cutting into the core support is needed. The grill bracket works with factory grills. That's $300 off for ordering without grill. The hood works with the factory cowl. The hood latch stays in the original location with original parts. Reuses original hood hinges without modification. Fenders have 99-07 mounting points. Pretty much take off old front end and bolt on new like it came from the factory.

Since the hood is 3" longer I can't use the 8" bulge utility fenders that I really wanted. Started pricing the mcnasty kit, wiper cowl, hinges, and few other pieces, but stopped when it was already well over $1000 more. I'm going with the 3" bulge fenders. Hopefully they will look ok on the truck.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Was going to order the mcneil raceing kit today, but saw I had a message from SkySkiJason. He mentioned there might be some fitment issues with the kit. Parts might be warped and no instructions on how to mount the grill and headlight brackets.

Did some serious thinking about the kit.
Did I like the price? Yes $1749 shipped
Did I like simple bolt on install? Yes
Was I curious about how the kit would turn out? No one finished one before so it could go either way
Did I like the look? Not sold on the bulge fenders but might learn to like them
Was I ok with bad fitment and maybe warped parts? No!!! I don't want to spend a lot of time and money to end up with something that looks like a cheap messed up copy of the real thing.
I guess sometimes No!!! does mean No!!!

Did some more parts shopping and looking for promo codes. Purchased street scene's fiberglass front fenders. Got a gt500 style fiberglass hood and paramount DODD grill. All for less than the mcneil kit.

Still need the wipers, wiper assembly, and hood hinges. Need to talk to local ford dealer to see if it beats shipping. Hood pins were recommended for the hood so probably not use factory latch.

Not sure about getting the mcnasty kit. Some mentioned its a starter but more work needs to be done for a truly bolt on install. Have some ideas on how to mount the grill and headlights, but need to look at the parts.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Got the front seat covers installed. They fit decent. There is a cutout for the airbags and a flap tucks into it. Since I'm not hooking up the airbags I'm going to glue the flap closed. The front of the seat covers tuck right into the plastic on the bottom of the seat. It looks almost factory. A few spots on the bottom could use some more straps to pull it tight. The holes for the headrest retainer need to be opened up to slide over. When the headrest covers are pulled tight they look great, but the Velcro overlaps too much.

I thought the backs of the seats were going to have Velcro and molle webbing, but the whole cover is ballistic nylon. It does look nicer having the same pattern all around instead of an all black back. Don't really need the webbing, but thought I could add some cup holders and pouches for ratchet straps. I've made molle webbing before so it is something that could be added later.

The centers of the seats puff out from the center because of the curvature that they are pulled tight around. Really not a big deal, but does anyone know some trick to get them to stay tight against the seat? Don't want to permanently attach them with some sort of glue because I would like to be able to remove them for washing if I need to.

The covers came to a little over $400 for front and back. For the most part they fit great. Installs pretty easy in less than an hour in the truck. If they were out the the truck like I originally wanted to it would have been about half hour. Reaching under the seats and pulling everything tight is the longest part.

Later on I'll pull the seats to add a few extra straps and some adjustments. After the adjustments it will be pretty hard to tell these weren't a factory option.

Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2017, 03:24 AM
darkjedi351
Tuned
Originally Posted by death_4u
Got the front seat covers installed. They fit decent. There is a cutout for the airbags and a flap tucks into it. Since I'm not hooking up the airbags I'm going to glue the flap closed. The front of the seat covers tuck right into the plastic on the bottom of the seat. It looks almost factory. A few spots on the bottom could use some more straps to pull it tight. The holes for the headrest retainer need to be opened up to slide over. When the headrest covers are pulled tight they look great, but the Velcro overlaps too much.

I thought the backs of the seats were going to have Velcro and molle webbing, but the whole cover is ballistic nylon. It does look nicer having the same pattern all around instead of an all black back. Don't really need the webbing, but thought I could add some cup holders and pouches for ratchet straps. I've made molle webbing before so it is something that could be added later.

The centers of the seats puff out from the center because of the curvature that they are pulled tight around. Really not a big deal, but does anyone know some trick to get them to stay tight against the seat? Don't want to permanently attach them with some sort of glue because I would like to be able to remove them for washing if I need to.

The covers came to a little over $400 for front and back. For the most part they fit great. Installs pretty easy in less than an hour in the truck. If they were out the the truck like I originally wanted to it would have been about half hour. Reaching under the seats and pulling everything tight is the longest part.

Later on I'll pull the seats to add a few extra straps and some adjustments. After the adjustments it will be pretty hard to tell these weren't a factory option.

what brand are your seat covers?

Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 PM
death_4u
Junior User
They are coverking seat covers. https://www.carid.com/coverking/kryp...at-covers.html These have they Velcro and molle webbing back, with pouches as an addon option. https://www.carid.com/coverking/kryp...at-covers.html
Not sure who actually makes them. Some multicam seat covers I have are distributed by coverking but have SKANDA labels on them.

Took a couple hours to pull the old dash. I didn't label any of the wires as I disconnected them, but definitely would recommend it. I would cut down on the time trying to figure out where each plug goes when rewiring. Underneath the dash was as dirty as the rest of the truck. Cleaned up most of the dirt. Going to have to vacuum the carpet and wash the seat covers again.

Used the mcnasty dash conversion kit. Had some problems with the angles for the steering column. Between the hole in the angles, the hole in the dash frame, and the size of the bolts supplied there's a lot of movement. The video didn't say where to drill the top hole. I slid the angle all the way down and drilled the top hole. It might have been too far down. I couldn't hook up the shifting linkage. Had to pull the column out part way, hook up the linkage, then put column back on.

Tried both version of the fuse box mount, but the wires are in the way. They hit the shifter cable and keep the fuse box from going in deep enough. Might need to pull the shifter cable and run it under the wires. If that doesn't work I'll make a new fuse box mount.

Got most of the dash rewired. Have the 05-07 heater controls. Going to hook up the old headlight switch and 4x4 switch for now. Later will convert to the newer switches.

Only put a couple screws in the plastic dash incase I had problems pulling the wires. Everything looks good will finish screwing tomorrow. The rest of the dash is tan so need to repaint charcoal.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:59 PM
death_4u
Junior User
Pulled the steering column, pushed the angle all the way up and redrilled the top holes. Now the shift cable clears everything. Bent the fuse box bracket to a 90.

Got the rest of the dash painted and installed. Didn't put the cluster cover piece on yet because the shift indicator got stretched out trying to get in in the cluster. Have to see if I can fix it or replace it.

My 05-07 heater control is missing the fan ****. Tried to take the **** from the 08 out, but the inside is different. Have to order a ****.

All the wiring is hooked up. All the switches are swapped out except for the headlight switch. Will cut the wires and rewire the 08 switch.

Was going to paint the doors charcoal, but that was going to be a lot of masking to keep the centers black. Decided to paint it all flat black. Taped off the door handle to keep the chrome plastic. The hardware store only had 1 can so only got 1 door done.

Tried to do a snake skin camo on the door switch plastic. Think I'll get some kryptek stencils and repaint them. Also want to paint the dash center bezel.

Attached Images       
Old 05-27-2017, 08:22 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Wicked! Good job man. Keep the updates coming!

Quick Reply: 2000 f350 to 11-16 conversion