Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Seatbelt repair ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I vote for weak spring as well. I need to fiddle mine back into the retractor as well due to a weak spring, but my belt has been lengthened accommodate my fat butt. The stitching in the splice prevents it from feeding all the way back anyway but it goes far enough to not be a problem.
And yes I know that splicing the belt is not Kosher but he he has been in the business for years and also makes fall protection harnesses for the Forest Service as well as Bungee jumpers.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Looking around the net, I just realized that my search is going to be more difficult. I have a super cab truck which means that the mechanism is mounted to the floor and not in the pillar like most of you have.

It seems that finding a repair shop that is willing to take on the task is my best bet. Although, I am still in search of a new set for a decent price too.

Found some new ones for ~300 each, that isn't going to happen.

Back to searching...

Old 05-07-2017, 10:41 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Both of the front seats (driver and passenger) seatbelts do not retract once unbuckled unless they have a good deal of help. I usually must reach over my left shoulder and pull the belt down toward the floor and the mechanism to get it going. Once I do this, it will retract as it did originally.

I have soaked the belt in soapy water and cleaned it thoroughly. This helped a bit, but not much.

I cleaned the bending point near the top of the cab. This too helped a bit, but not much.

I removed the cover of the mechanism on the floor and cleaned and lubed everything the best I could. This didn't help much.

I have seen places online that will charge around $65 per belt to repair the tensioner and send it back within 24 hours. I thought I would post here and see if anyone else had any thoughts or experiences (good or bad) with using these services or how they fixed the problem themselves.

If the fix was buying new belts and mechanisms, I am open to that too as long as the color is tan or complimentary to the interior of the vehicle.
This problem is inherent to all Ford Trucks until 2003 (whenever the interiors received a facelift, whatever year that was).

You could retrieve a set from a Salvage Yard from an 03 or later and hope for the best. Same mounting as I recall. Although I am uncertain of the Belt Length itself.

As for Color Matching, most are readily available except the Slate (Denim)Blue, which is difficult to find anything that color. Including Duplicolor Products.

You're kind of at the Mercy of whomever can make it like new. Nature of the Beast.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I never heard back from Safety Restore, so I am now soaking the passenger side belt in near boiling hot/soapy water again to see if that does anything. Before it was just hot water and scrubbed/soaked.

Going to leave the belt in water for 2 hours or so and see how that does. New ones are ~$300 and that is just too much in my opinion.

If the hot soak does not work, I will look into other options.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Two hours of soaking and the water is still warm to the touch in the bucket. Although, it is still very clear and does not look cloudy or dirty.

My confidence level of this actually working is very low.

I will probably try to call Safety Restore here in a little while to see if they will give me an answer over the phone since email does not appear to be their strong suit.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:39 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm watching your progress on this carefully, Sous, because I need to do a good clean and lube job on both my front seat belts as well. They do retract fine, but they are definitely dirty and feel a little yucky sticky when humidity gets high on rainy days.

You may already know this, but are the belts themselves replaceable, or does the entire unit need to be replaced/rebuilt?

Also, seatbeltplanet may be another option for you if your current source proves unhelpful.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Safety Restore offers belt replacement only.

https://www.safetyrestore.com/6-seat...repair-service

Although, their "retractor repair service" does not appear to be exactly what I need. I believe the retractor is a physical piece that sacrifices itself during an accident of some sort. I only require the spring or tension to be serviced. I am willing to pay for the full service if they can fix both for ~$150 and will call them today or the first business day if they are closed today.

If you are buying an OEM replacement, the entire unit is replaced at ~$300 each belt/mechanism.

EDIT: Closed weekends, open Mon-Fri 9-5.

Retractor Defined:

The central element in the retractor is a spool, which is attached to one end of the webbing. Inside the retractor, a spring applies a rotation force, or torque, to the spool. This works to rotate the spool so it winds up any loose webbing.

Pretensioner Defined:

Seatbelt pretensioners are a component of the seatbelt system which locks the seatbelt in place during a crash. There are three types of seatbelt pretensioner: mechanical, electrical, and pyrotechnic.

It appears that the retractor may in fact be the piece I/we need serviced.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:45 PM
uncndl1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll be home in a week removing mine which also extra cab model.
Someone mentioned asking a body shop...will let you know

Old 05-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Sounds good, I would appreciate an update.

Just checked on the belt soaking again which is now almost 6 hours and the water is still pretty clear. I was sure there would not be much more dirt pulled out of them, but worth a shot.

Will be calling Safety Restore first thing Monday.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I removed the passenger side belt from the soapy bucket a bit ago, so that is 24 hours soaking. It is now drying while the driver side is soaking until tomorrow mid-day.

Will update after I talk to Safety Restore and see if the soaking made an improvement.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Spoke over chat with a rep at Safety Restore this morning. I was careful not to use words like retract or tension because I was looking for their ideas on the repair service. I did not get a very good vibe about the conversation and may contact them via phone in a bit. I am sure they are busy on Monday morning.

ERIC
9:06 am
Welcome back! Do you have any questions?

CLIENT
I have a 2000 Ford F-250 with seat belts that work fine, but are very slow to recoil/roll back up when they are unbuckled. They will roll back up, but require some help. Does Safety Restore have a service that would fix the recoil of these belts, even though they have not been in an accident? If so, which service would I purchase?

ERIC
Now has the car ever been in an accident ?

CLIENT
No.

ERIC
and how is the webbing on this belt still intact or all frayed up

CLIENT
Visually it looks new. I just cleaned it by soaking in dish soap water and scrubbing it.

ERIC
Hmm could have locked up on you without any signs
All you have to do is send your belt into our facility. Just put the belts into a postal box along with a piece of paper with your name, address and cellphone number printed clearly on it. As soon as we get it it will be repaired within 24 hours and we will call you for payment. Its as easy as paying over the phone via credit/debit card and we send it right back to you priority mail.

CLIENT
They are not locked up. They recoil as intended, just the spring is worn out since the model year is a 2000.
They must be helped in order to recoil, other than that they work fine. Not locked, not bound up in anyway.
Hello? Eric, are you there?

ERIC
Thats all you have to do send it in before pay ent with your name and address and phone number youll, be all set

CLIENT
So, send the belts in without purchasing any plan on the website? What happens when the belt is received at your facility? How will they know which service the belts require?

ERIC
We will do benchmark tests to know exactly whats wrong jjst please put your info inside the box

CLIENT
Thanks

Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
WTH? That almost sounds like a robotic automated response.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I can tell you it did not inspire a lot of confidence. Going to get some stuff done around the house for a bit, maybe call them later.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:03 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Wow... that's a disappointing response, to say the least!

Old 05-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Is the postal address in China? LOL

To me. it sounds almost like the company has a third party communication service... "Eric" probably doesn't know anything besides the script he is given, and pre-written responses for common questions.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt repair ideas?