Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Grafting a M3 BMW hood skin to f150 and custom fab work

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm impressed. Good vision and continuity to the general design. Looking forward to more pictures!

Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Any more mods? I was really looking forward to seeing that hood mounted.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Go-on3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Any more mods? I was really looking forward to seeing that hood mounted.
Here's a few pics of hood on the truck 👊
As far as mods... Truck is gong under the knife now. Fabricating a new front bumper, shaving the fenders, going crazy on the tailgate, and putting a different OEM bed on it.

Truck is modded with Full Race intercooler, turbo smart bov, resonator delete, stainless works down pipes, custom center exhaust, stage 2 intake, gears, dyno tuned by MPT

Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice mods. It's getting tougher to make changes especially out here in Ca. Legally you can't even add gauges let alone change the exhaust wihich I've already ordered for the 18 I'm waiting delivery. It will be interesting if you need any factory work and they deny you because of suspension "alteration" even if it has nothing to do with the problem. I put some pretty well hidden receivers in the front for my push bar for our race cars and a blacked out mesh bug screen which Ford said was a no-no but it didn't seem to hurt.

I'm courious about the hood vents. Do they open to the open air and help with under hood cooling? If they do, are there drains for water? What gears do you have to pull the boat?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Go-on3
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
Nice mods. It's getting tougher to make changes especially out here in Ca. Legally you can't even add gauges let alone change the exhaust wihich I've already ordered for the 18 I'm waiting delivery. It will be interesting if you need any factory work and they deny you because of suspension "alteration" even if it has nothing to do with the problem. I put some pretty well hidden receivers in the front for my push bar for our race cars and a blacked out mesh bug screen which Ford said was a no-no but it didn't seem to hurt.

I'm courious about the hood vents. Do they open to the open air and help with under hood cooling? If they do, are there drains for water? What gears do you have to pull the boat?
I ran stock muffler but ran duals by adding a Magnaflow y-pipe. Wonder if you can do something like that ? Vents are OEM from a15 mustang. They are functional for heat extraction and water can; stopped by plastic flap. The location of vents are also away from pcm- relays - etc.

Running 3.73 gears 👊

Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
How long is that boat and what does it weigh? Very nice rig!

Old 09-19-2017, 03:11 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EXCELLANT on the y-pipe after the muffler and then duals. Something i would have never thought of; keeps everything stock quiet. I've ordered a dual outlet muffler for my '18 5.0 and want them out the back kind of like the newer Rams. I may shove them up a bit and hide them behind the bumper dumping right in the corner.

The Flowmaster maybe a little aggressive but I've got some inserts left over from our dirt car racing to tone them down if too much for the wife (haha)

Looks like you may need air bags. I used the 2000# on my '13 and loved them. They were Air-lifts with the fill hoses at the license plate. I took them off and going to see if i can fit them to the '18. lower mount is the same, upper i might need to buy but I'm a pretty good fabricator with all the tools needed to make the 13's work

Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because you like your trucks boring. Everything he has done is tastefully and very well done. He definitely isn't going to blend in, in a lot full of other trucks. If you look at the pics of the hood, it's obvious it's being done in some type of body shop, so he probably does this type of stuff for a living, or a good friend does. He is also getting professional results. The rear end looks very clean. How can you compare that to a stock truck and not think it looks better?

Edit, the first line was a joke, don't get offended.

More like "because you actually use your truck as a truck".

Some of us actually go off-road and need to drive through deep snow, so lowering ground clearance is a terrible idea. But if I lived in the city and where it doesn't snow a lot (so I never needed the ground clearance and AT tires), I suppose I can see the appeal of the O.P.'s truck. He did a nice job on the custom air bag mounts.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Looks like he's using his truck as a truck to me, for his intended purposes. Don't think you could tow that boat with a sedan or a mustang. He can still haul a load of lumber home from the Home Depot. I'm sure if the OP intended to drive through cow pastures or 18" deep snow, he would....

A) bought a 4wd and modded a different way

B) have a second vehicle

If what he was doing was so wrong to the majority of people, the lightning would have never been the hit it was.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Go-on3
Senior User
EXCELLANT on the y-pipe after the muffler and then duals. Something i would have never thought of; keeps everything stock quiet. I've ordered a dual outlet muffler for my '18 5.0 and want them out the back kind of like the newer Rams. I may shove them up a bit and hide them behind the bumper dumping right in the corner.

The Flowmaster maybe a little aggressive but I've got some inserts left over from our dirt car racing to tone them down if too much for the wife (haha)

Looks like you may need air bags. I used the 2000# on my '13 and loved them. They were Air-lifts with the fill hoses at the license plate. I took them off and going to see if i can fit them to the '18. lower mount is the same, upper i might need to buy but I'm a pretty good fabricator with all the tools needed to make the 13's work
Thsnks, looking forward to seeing your build. Nothing better than seeing a build where extra effort was made to fabricate parts..

Not sure why the comment wss made about the bags though... it's got a fabricated kit though and truck sits level towing it 👍

Unloaded, 8 psi
Unleaded 55 psi

Old 09-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Go-on3
Senior User

What motor did you order for the 18s ? I went with the stock muffler because was focusing on back pressure and tone not necessarily loudness... You'll understand if you watch these videos i didn't want to add a muffler that would make my truck sound like a tractor, I'm assuming you got the 5.0.

https://youtu.be/buvUoHb8np8

https://youtu.be/wfO2_JS6h0k

Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Go-on3
Senior User
EXCELLANT on the y-pipe after the muffler and then duals. Something i would have never thought of; keeps everything stock quiet. I've ordered a dual outlet muffler for my '18 5.0 and want them out the back kind of like the newer Rams. I may shove them up a bit and )

If your a pretty good fabricator with all the tools, why did you mount the valves by the licence plate ? Here's a idea for your 18 as they haven't changed the bumper or tow bar. Mount the valves inside tow bar, giving you a clean look and keeping it easily accessible. That's how I mounted mine before I added the compressor... The rest are current fabrication projects.

shaving antenna, emblem holes
Making a custom , tailgate, by cutting and grafting several together, ,adding power gate from platnium and incorporating power hatch sensors from a 17 Navigator to be activists by foot motion, allowing handle to be shaved
Narrowing a 14 raptor bumper by 4.2 " from a total of 4 locations. Fabricating 17 super duty fog light housings, cutting center section out to graph a bumper grill that's oem but keeping on down low until bumper is complete.
Donor bed to modify with oem Raptor bedsides. . My bed for sale as a complete bed

Old 09-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Go-on3
Senior User
Looks like he's using his truck as a truck to me, for his intended purposes. Don't think you could tow that boat with a sedan or a mustang. He can still haul a load of lumber home from the Home Depot. I'm sure if the OP intended to drive through cow pastures or 18" deep snow, he would....

A) bought a 4wd and modded a different way

B) have a second vehicle

If what he was doing was so wrong to the majority of people, the lightning would have never been the hit it was.
Boom ! Your spot on !!! Atleast we are on the same page. I did build this truck to be purpose built for muy needs. What gets me is how quick some people are to voice their negative opinions with the keyboard rather than say " What A waste of a truck " or something out loud if my build is not your style...

I built this truck to drive Dailey, to haul my kids to soccer, to fill the bed with tools, furniture, bikes, frozen sleeping bags, and Mickey mouse fishing poles.

I wanted a truck to take my Boxers on rides in, a truck to pull my boat, and a truck that can be hated by a new Corvette.

Then some guy took time out of his day to ask what I'm going to do if dealer rejects my warranty because it's lowered.. Well, I'd report that dealer to a guy with the last name of Lowe who is employed by Ford Motor Co and his job is dealer relations. If my warranty is void, so be it... I bought the truck to enjoy , to drive hard, and to take good care of. I'll fix it , and move on and not worry about things that are out of my control.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Disney makes the best fishing rods, I can confirm this.

Love your truck and the thought and effort you put into it. It's different then the bro-dozer trend that I see all over the place. It's also perfectly functional. Keep up the great work.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Love following this build and that you are tailoring the truck to YOUR wants and needs. Everything looks well done and not "over the top" as some custom builds can be. Keep it up!

Has the handling improved noticeably by lowering the center of gravity for the truck?

Quick Reply: Grafting a M3 BMW hood skin to f150 and custom fab work