2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Seriously, bubbling paint on hood of '15 EL Ford says too bad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:54 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Seriously, bubbling paint on hood of '15 EL Ford says too bad!

Truck has 42k miles on it and the paint along the front edge of the hood is bubbling already! Bought it CPO with 35k, had I noticed it right then Ford would have covered it, but since it past 36k they say you have to be able to put a pencil through the rust (not rust, aluminum...) to be covered.

This has been an issue with the Expeditions since the gen 2, how can Ford not get paint to stick to aluminum??

I escalated the issue to the regional service manager, who called and left one message and hasn't returned any of my calls since. So truck that is less than two years old already has paint delamination and Ford is basically telling me to go pound sand...

Isn't there a class action suit against FoMoCo for this issue on the gen 2 and 3 Expys? Does it apply to the new models too?

This all in addition to denied claims on slow, sometimes non functioning drivers window, and rear wiper arm that doesn't have enough down pressure to make the blade have full contact with the window...

Bottom line, Ford warranty is a joke and customer support is worthless.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 PM
jh225
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are still under warranty.

CPO extends the bumper to bumper (although not technically bumper to bumper) until 4 yrs from in service date or 48K miles, whichever comes first. So, you have reached neither, means valid warranty, period.

Did you go to a Ford dealer WITH an in house body shop? Made ALL the difference in my claim and I am certainly one of the very few people to have a no hassle warranty replacement (tailgate).

The panel is oxidizing, not rusting. Huge difference. There is a TSB on the matter.

Do a search for the tailgate thread and read over my replies.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
The dealer I go to does have an in house body shop. I was told by the dealer the CPO does not cover the corrosion coverage of the original 36k bumper to bumper unless you can put a pencil through the "rust" (they kept saying that even though I corrected them.). A case was opened by Ford Cust Service with the regional service manager who I have made several attempts to contact without success...

Is the TSB specific to the tailgate or does it include the hood? I go look for your thread now, thanks!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 PM
jh225
Elder User
A) Your vehicle IS under warranty, period. You and your dealer need to read and understand the CPO paperwork.

B) It is not corrosion. Aluminum can not corrode, it is oxidizing due to improper prep of the panel.

C) Find another dealer.

D) Find the thread, and read it. All the info is there. I'm not going to do the work for you.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
I found the thread minutes after my last post here, never asked you to do the work for me.

The TSB listed in the other thread only applies to vehicles under the 36k mile warranty.

The Ford warranty verbiage relating to aluminum calls it rust, goes to show the intelligence that went into crafting that.

At this point I have escalated the issue to Ford corporate, not been able to talk to the regional service manager, and had a lackey from the tech department call to tell me it's the dealers discretion to honor the warranty.

Called the dealer back and talk to the service manager who said doesn't matter whats in writing, if there aren't holes it won't be approved by Ford to warranty it. He told me I'm welcome to come back in and have pictures taken to send to Ford, but it won't help because Ford always denies claims like this...

Is Crystal from Ford still on these forums? I usually see her post in the SuperDuty section, does she look in here?

Also, after reading that thread I check my rear gate, and sure enough bubbling all along the bottom pinch weld on the inside...

Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
To help those stumbling on my thread that may have the same issue, this is the other thread being referenced: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...corrosion.html

Old 05-08-2017, 03:24 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
This is from the warranty book: Pretty clear about aluminum so I'm not sure how they can deny it, though they are.

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM
jh225
Elder User
OK, again...... the 3/36 goes out the window with a CPO vehicle, regardless of what your dealer tells you.

Also again, aluminum oxidizes and it is oxidizing because of improper seal/sealant used to bond the front and rear halves.

The new owners manual (2016?) specifically address aluminum panels. Why? Because they know it is an issue and in all these years have failed to correct it.

My tailgate didn't replace itself. My dealer (did NOT buy there) was more than happy to help me and Ford appproved it in less than 15 minutes.

Call HQ and make some noise.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Already called HQ, can't reach the regional service manager as I already stated. I've contacted the dealer I bought the truck from, MUCH more helpful so far. Supposed to hear back from them today on my next steps, likely taking pictures to send them that they can forward on to FoMoCo for a warranty appeal because the truck is outside the 3/36. Even though I have the direct verbiage from the corrosion warranty, they claim it only applies to 3/36, though the warranty clearly states 5 years unlimited mileage. This dealer seems willing to go to bat for me so fingers crossed. If Ford still says no, it seems like a lawyer is my only other option, at which point it would probably be cheaper just to cover the work myself...

jh225, I appreciate the information, but unless you work for Ford or a dealer I can work through simply saying it's covered period doesn't help my situation.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
He likes to use the period. Very final and black and white, but not so useful in a gray world. You obviously don't have the same pictures of the zone reps partying with a bunch of goats that he does.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
I have an appointment at the dealer we bought the truck from tomorrow to get photos and documentation to submit to Ford, wish me luck.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Originally Posted by akorcovelos
This is from the warranty book: Pretty clear about aluminum so I'm not sure how they can deny it, though they are.

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.
So I checked MY documentation that came with the '15MY and the aluminum panel verbiage is NOT there. So, even though Ford changed NOTHING between '15 and '18 on the Expedition, the verbiage change only applies to '16+ models.

After driving 3 hours round trip to have the dealer I bought the truck from take some pictures to submit to Ford, it took them 2 days to reply with a TOO BAD, you're out of 3/36 warranty even though it was purchased CPO, because there aren't perforations from the corrosion.

So...start the record over and I had to open another case with corporate, getting the same BS as last time, the service agent is investigating what can be done to help me. How about back your 2 year old product that is shedding it's paint due to an admitted manufacturing defect instead of telling loyal customers to F**K OFF because you're 6k miles past warranty.

This issue clearly didn't happen over the course of 6k miles, it was there when I bought it, but it was winter and I missed it. I guess shame on me for not noticing the issue day one when it was still under 36k...

Dealer quoted $1800 just to fix the hood, not including the tail gate. So I guess I'm expected to shell out $3k+ to get both panels fixed on a truck I paid $35k for 4 months ago...thanks Ford, for continuing to screw customers over on an issue you haven't cared to fix for the last 17 years.

Anyone aware of any class action law suits on the newer models? I know there were on the last gen Expys for the same reason.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Just got the call back from another lackey at Ford tech service, again denied. Again being told the dealership determines coverage, and the dealership says Ford determines coverage. They keep closing my cases without me accepting any resolution.

I ask to speak to the tech reps supervisor and am flat out told no, they won't do anything for you anyway. FORD CORPORATE SUCKS. Basically there is no point in paying for CPO because Ford will find a way to weasel out of any coverage they can. The customer definitely comes LAST with these people.

LAST FORD I WILL BUY. Love the truck, but I can't give money to a company that treats their customers like dirt on issues they admit are their fault, but still won't cover.

I left messages with every contact I have at Ford, doubt I'll get a call back from any of them. I PM'd Crystal from Ford Tech here 10 days ago and no response, so I guess she is gone...

Bottom line here, bought $35k CPO truck, manufacturing defect causes paint to fall off, Ford says too bad, don't care if customer is happy. Keep this in mind when shopping for new vehicles people. No wonder so many people are going to import brands, customer service at Nissan and Toyota are awesome, never had any issues like this when dealing with customer support with them.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:27 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Big surprise, never got a call back from the regional service manager when I was told they would contact me within one business day. Everyday I'm more appalled at the level of customer support from FoMoCo...last new Ford I'll ever buy. Too bad too because I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Fusion, time to look at imports.