1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

E99 Owners: Pics of installed sway bar end links needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E99 Owners: Pics of installed sway bar end links needed.

I just completed the replacement of all suspension parts on the front end of this truck. The e99 is supposedly different in both parts and installation as far as end links and sway bar.

When I removed the sway bar end links I noticed that oddly, the sway bar was in a bind as was evidenced by the greatly enhanced added wear on the passenger side sway bar bushing. This made me question whether they had been installed correctly initially.

So, a friend of mine at Ford sent a diagram of what is supposed to be the correct install for the end links to the sway bar. So, I installed them per the diagram. Well, this appears to put both end links in a bind and upon further inspection the diagram is for post 3-99. I called and asked about the diagram and he stated that this is all that is in the computer. The end links are also for post 3-99 production.

Do any of you with e99's still have the original end links on your trucks. If so, would you post a couple of pics of the install so that I can see how they were meant to be faced/installed at the factory.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Sorry, can't help you here. I upgraded to the later version of them including a new style end link with ball joints in it. If you have the money (probably about $300) it's a fairly easy upgrade. There is a recent thread on it here. If you find that thread you should be able to eye up how the end links go based on the pics there.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:24 AM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Super! Awesome! Thank you! Reps sent!

Is this an e99? If it is, then this is exactly how my originals were installed which is different than what the illustration that Ford provided depicts.

Also, is your sway bar 27mm? Just trying to see if the configuration changes due to sway bar diameter. This e99 came with the 27mm.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:03 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Sorry, can't help you here. I upgraded to the later version of them including a new style end link with ball joints in it. If you have the money (probably about $300) it's a fairly easy upgrade. There is a recent thread on it here. If you find that thread you should be able to eye up how the end links go based on the pics there.
Thank you for the info. I cannot seem to find it. It very well could be my search terms though.

OK. I think that I found it: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...-question.html How did I miss this?

Y2KW57 - That was a ton of work. Great Job! I tried to rep you.... The system has its limitations..... Someone else please send them.

_

Old 05-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
That does not look like a truck from the south west!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jhl3
Super! Awesome! Thank you! Reps sent!

Is this an e99? If it is, then this is exactly how my originals were installed which is different than what the illustration that Ford provided depicts.

Also, is your sway bar 27mm? Just trying to see if the configuration changes due to sway bar diameter. This e99 came with the 27mm.
She is indeed an early freak! Those are originals. I have to replace both as after replacing the track bar........and welding in a bunch of metal so the new one could be bolted up to the axle...I found that both of these just wobble around. Oh, and the axle hub bearing assemblies are bad.... I have no idea what size the sway bar is. I can get my mic and go measure it if you need me to?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:57 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Karlow
That does not look like a truck from the south west!
Utah isnt the south west buddy. We are most indeed the wild wild west! Just with retarded liquor laws....

She was purchased brand new in Utah way back when. I am the second owner. The old lady who owned her first only put 91K on her.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Got the new ones in last night.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Super. Thank you for the update. Who is the manufacturer of those? They appear to be of better quality than current OE Ford.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:20 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that the axle sway bar mounts and the frame sway bar mounts should be parallel to each other if the truck is on flat level ground. If you are not not flat level ground then it will be in a bind depending on how much things are trying to lean. If you are flat and level then you also might want to make sure the sway bar itself is not bent (you have new links with the old sway bar right?).

You might want to look into cleaning up that oil pan and protecting it from rusting further before it's too late and you need to pull the motor to get a new one installed:

Old 05-07-2017, 02:20 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jhl3
Super. Thank you for the update. Who is the manufacturer of those? They appear to be of better quality than current OE Ford.

Moog. Got them at orielly for $21 each.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:22 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tjmike
I suspect that the axle sway bar mounts and the frame sway bar mounts should be parallel to each other if the truck is on flat level ground. If you are not not flat level ground then it will be in a bind depending on how much things are trying to lean. If you are flat and level then you also might want to make sure the sway bar itself is not bent (you have new links with the old sway bar right?).

You might want to look into cleaning up that oil pan and protecting it from rusting further before it's too late and you need to pull the motor to get a new one installed:

Good call!