First Friday G2G

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
First Friday G2G

Video: Cruise Nights

Gauging interest in a Friday night G2G in Santa Paula.

Let me know your thoughts.

What: Santa Paula Cruise Night

When: 5 p.m. to dusk every first Friday of the month from April through October

From April through October, the first Friday of each month means one thing in Santa Paula: Cruise Night.

For the past 19 years, classic car owners have flocked to the city’s historic downtown to show off their vehicles. With them come streams of locals eager to enjoy a night out ogling at cars, catching up with old friends and helping fill tables and bar stools at restaurants along Main Street.

“It’s a good family get-together. I mean, look at all the people who come,” said Luke Gajefski of Ventura, gesturing at the crowds strolling past his red, 1956 Chevy during Cruise Night in April. “It’s just nice to get away on a Friday night, come and visit with friends and family. It’s a good time.”

Two now-retired police officers, Henry Aguilar and Dave Anderson, started Cruise Night in 1998 at the suggestion of then-Police Chief Bob Gonzales. The downtown had recently been the target of revitalization efforts, the pair said, and the chief thought hosting a cruise night would bring people to the area.

He was right.

“We started out small, it was from Davis to 8th Street (one block),” said Aguilar. “We filled that area, then there were cars that were coming that didn’t have anywhere to park…. There were a lot of cars that were turned away.”

Since then, the event has continued to grow. It now brings in more than 200 cars and well over 1,000 visitors each month, he said.

All types of cars are welcome, from antiques to muscle cars, low riders and hot rods. The only rule is that they must pre-date 1975, said police commander Ish Cordero, who helps organize the event with Aguilar and Anderson on behalf of the Santa Paula Police Officers Association. The event has become so popular that the association no longer has to advertise it. Cordero said people hear about it through word of mouth and come from as far away as San Luis Obispo and Orange counties.

“I think it’s because of the ambience,” Cordero mused. “It’s friendly, you walk around, it’s all free, it doesn't cost the participants any money… For the community as a whole it’s a big event, everybody’s looking forward to it because it brings the community, the merchants together in an environment that’s fun and safe.”

Leonard Logan of Oxnard is one of Cruise Night’s regulars.The proud owner of a 1923 Ford C Cab, Logan said he tours car shows all over Ventura, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles counties, but Santa Paula is one of his favorites because it’s low-pressure — there are no trophies or contests — and it has a wide variety of cars and a friendly atmosphere.

“I come to every single one, every chance I get,” he said. “Anyone who’s a hot-rod enthusiast knows about Cruise Night in Santa Paula. It’s been out here forever.”

Retired airman Roy Villanueva of Santa Paula doesn’t own a classic car himself, but he enjoys going to Cruise Night every month because it reminds him of driving through town with a hot rod during the 1960s and '70s when he was in high school. He said he still bumps into old high-school chums at the event.

“I like everything about it,” he said of Cruise Night.

Anderson, the event’s co-founder, said he’s amazed by its continued success.

“I never thought it’d last this long,” he said. “We might make it to 20 years if we’re lucky.”

Old 04-29-2017, 04:03 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
ill have to wander over that way and check it out!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife and I may be down to do that. Sounds very fun!

only question is do i drive the truck or ride the Harley?!

Old 05-06-2017, 12:35 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Marge and I did that one a couple of years ago. I have a cousin who lives in Santa Paula, and her husband has (or maybe had) a '58 Impala and took it regularly.

We really need to do it again, and this summer may see it done.

Pop