"No-Place" build thread - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

"No-Place" build thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:19 AM
Freshman User

CottonTexas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Moving on to the interior, I pulled the headliner so I could put a coating on the inside of the cargo area, and I accidentally snapped nearly all of the plastic retainers despite using a panel-puller. No problem, right? If I can't find 'em in the retail stores, then the dealer's got to have 'em, right?

$47 and a week later, I had 15 of the wrong parts waiting for me at the counter. The one on the left is what I needed, and the one on the right is what I got. Why I didn't check them before I left, is beyond me, but when I returned I was told that despite the fact that he looked up & ordered the wrong part, and because they were obsolete, I would only be refunded dealer-cost, minus 20% restocking, minus shipping, which comes to a grand-total of ...all I remember was my eyes turned yellow, my skin started to turn green, and all I could say is, “Please stop! You don't want to see me when I'm angry!” No, I actually stood there, and waited for the guy to acknowledge that he's trying to deliver the dry-shaft to a dude that's guaranteed to need more parts, but he just stared back, and finally said, “Whatever you wanna do.” I didn't do what I wanted to do, but there just might be some freebies around here since I've decided my van doesn't need a headliner anyway, and I've got a few (~15) spare parts that I don't need.

Lesser things were starting to bother me that would only take a couple/few dollars here & there to remedy such as the driver's window-crank.

Dorman PN: 76931 had been at my favorite local parts-house for so long the package had been yellowed and stapled back together a couple of times, and they were undoubtedly almost as happy to be rid of it as I was to be getting it.

I was surprised that it was a pressed fit instead of screwed, but I guess that makes better sense, and I'm quite happy with the end result.

I admit that pound-for-pound, these little things bring me a great sense of accomplishment, especially when I start to see how they all add up to make it all look a little less like a “heap.”

Somewhere along the line, all the taillights all got about 3” of wire cut out of them (prob. trailer-lights to go with the obviously overloaded, bent back-bumper), and I had to teach myself to solder & use heat-shrink - Yeah, I finally learned, but remember, it's not nice to make fun ...nah, go ahead, I can't blame ya!

TIP: Ditch that lead-free junk, and use a flux.

As it turned out, soldering was a valuable craft to know since there was a LOT of that to be done behind the dash.

I had to buy a “reverse” stereo wiring harness (Metra PN: 71-1772) in order to solder the radio plug back into the dash, as well as a Metra PN: 70-1772 adapter harness to get my '86 radio in there – hey, the radio was only 99! How could I not? I painstakingly epoxied the dash all back together, and when I went to reinstall it, everywhere I pressed on it just developed a new crack, and eventually it just crumbled into pieces, and the whole thing just seemed to disintegrate in my hands as I was trying to press it into place, so I found a real good deal on a NOS dash piece with a funky brown finish that may or may not get a coat of black over it – not sure yet, but I do know I liked the cool-kinda' texture on the original black one better. I also had to install a Dorman PN:85845 90 sending unit / cigarette lighter pigtail wire since the cigarette lighter had been tapped into so many times that there wasn't hardly anything left to solder to. The horn button was a used piece from the 'Bay that I bought because mine was missing altogether, but it didn't seem to help with my lack of a functioning horn at all. Not sure what's up with that, and the horns themselves aren't behind the front bumper like I thought they'd be. Not real sure where they're supposed to be, so I really don't even know if they're missing or what.

It's a long way off, but when the time is right, I'm thinking about something like this ClassicCarStereos PN: 1005 [EDIT: <---that's a retro-fit for a 6x9 speaker which I'm pretty sure won't work in place of the factory 6x8] to get some sound, and I'll worry about mounting door speakers later on (like, way later on).

Right now I've got a big hole in the center of the dash where the old speaker used to be, but it hasn't quite made the priority-list yet. After all that soldering I've done, the battery light now comes on, and I think I need to focus more on getting 'er driving down the road before I worry about the radio.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:07 AM
Freshman User

Y'all thought I was done for the night, huh? Well, not quite, but this should bring you guys up to speed.

From under the van, the catalytic converter had separated from the tail pipe, and (again) I found a nasty little surprise.

It would appear that when it was discovered that the cat was clogged, someone tried to force the pipe rearwards without loosening the hanger clamp, and snapped the hanger bracket.

A buddy of mine had an ole' junky welder with a bad tip on it, but he said he'd do the job if the price was right (one tall-boy), and it seems to have done the trick.

I bolted it back into place, and it appears to be holding up, so no complaints thus far.

At the moment I have a MagnaFlow PN: 93301 on order, and as a matter of fact, I missed the brown truck just today trying to deliver it, and I got a little notice left for me, so I should be taking possession of my new stainless direct-fit catalytic converter tomorrow YAY! However, as if I didn't know it was coming, I still haven't gotten around to ordering the donut-gasket (Walker PN: 31400). Still, I'll try to keep things here as up-to-date as possible, and for now I bid you all g'night. Cotton
Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.
I would have added a piece of metal to that bracket.

I like seeing this "bring it back to life" type threads
Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Posting Guru

annaleigh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.annaleigh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
great job you are doing! look here for the clips if you still want them. $10 to $13 dollars for a pack of 50!!! You might also find some other parts you need here.. In the search box you can also just type in ford and get a long list of parts
Car-Pak.com, Complete Automotive Supply and Equipment

Here is another store with lots of parts that might not be in the first store
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/For...eners_s/63.htm
Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaleigh View Post
great job you are doing! look here for the clips if you still want them. $10 to $13 dollars for a pack of 50!!! You might also find some other parts you need here.. In the search box you can also just type in ford and get a long list of parts
Car-Pak.com, Complete Automotive Supply and Equipment

Here is another store with lots of parts that might not be in the first store
Ford Clips And Fasteners

+Rep for being awesome!!! I've spent hours pouring over online images of retaining clips, and never found 'em - Thank you VERY much for the links!

Your encouragement is appreciated as well. Since I see it all the time, and imporvement is pretty slow-going, I need a bit of a kick sometimes to get back on task, and hearing that someone else thinks I'm doing well can be good for my motivation. Many thanks my friend, Cotton
Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Senior User

VannerDude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good luck on your build, it can be frustrating. (I own a 1989 & 1990).

But I had to laugh when you did a 'BTW' and chastised Numberdummy when he offered his help. I hope he offers help to me if & when I need it. There are a few members here that have such extensive knowledge that it may not be too smart to rap their knuckles if they offer up advice. History has shown that those members go away when they are treated rudely.

Just saying.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:54 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VannerDude View Post
Good luck on your build, it can be frustrating. (I own a 1989 & 1990).

But I had to laugh when you did a 'BTW' and chastised Numberdummy when he offered his help. I hope he offers help to me if & when I need it. There are a few members here that have such extensive knowledge that it may not be too smart to rap their knuckles if they offer up advice. History has shown that those members go away when they are treated rudely.

Just saying.

I very-much hope that Numbers didn't take that personally, because that's not at all how I intended it. I have absolutely no spite towards Numbers AT ALL, and I appreciate that he's tried to be helpful. My post was not just meant to be directed at this one specific person, but for anyone reading it since it was intended to promote good forum etiquette - nothing more. I can runaway at the keyboard sometimes, and I believe it's good to know when it's time to apologize for a slight or obvious impatience that may have rudely steeped through onto a post.

I'll see you bringing this up not as though you're trying to be the one standing over a proverbial pot of pooh with a stir-stick, but as a friendly personal address, so I'm going to share something with all of y'all that is likely going to make me infinitely less popular on this forum.

BEGIN TANGENT: I have NEVER left a Ford dealership happy. EVER. That includes parts, service, and sales. I've been to many Ford dealerships spread out over several years and several states, and I mean to say that out of easily hundreds of visits, I have left every time feeling like I've wasted my time and/or money. It is not the disintegrating 30+ year old plastic dash, or the parts-guy behind the counter who's ego doesn't even come close to matching his inclination, and its not the way that service has a tendency to leave my interior dirty and "thrown back together" after recalls (because it's just a 10yo. cheapie Ranger anyway) that's keeping me loyal to the brand. It has nothing to do with the fact that they don't make hardly anything new with a standard trans, and when buying used I paid $10K less for my F150 at Honda, and my Ranger was $5K cheaper from Toyota when comparing the EXACT same trucks that were bought at the same auction at the same time from the same previous owner - (company trucks) both times, and the competing dealers were less than 10 miles away! I have bought four Ford vehicles since 2008, and that is because my car company of choice cost us (tax-payers) over 10 BILLION dollars (never mind the banking companies that financed them), so if I wanted to buy a true-blue American car, I have one company left to choose from.

What I mean to say is: If you buy new from Ford, and have it serviced under warranty, you will likely love your Ford, and never have any problems before it's time for a new one - every few years or so. However, I've bought used and older (and one just plain "old"), and have concluded that with regards to anything that I personally drive and/or work on, I cannot rely on "regular" services that are more specifically tailored to the late-model driver. With that said, it would be incredibly stupid of me to intentionally insult someone that obviously knows what they're doing, and has access to resources that are normally greeted at the dealership with eye-rolling from the parts-guy ...that's just from the selfish perspective. I don't even dare consider that a veteran forum member would even be of the level to be insulted by a newbie such as myself, and/or possibly being offended to the point of an angry exit. Nah, I try to be kind & courteous to everyone, and while I'm not at all perfect, if I even think that I might have offended someone, it'll bother me until I make some kind of apology to be sure. As far as I'm concerned, we're all friends here, and the things posted between us should always try & be read in a friendly tone first. So far as I know we're all good here. Cotton
Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 AM
Senior User

VannerDude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great to know. As we all know the written words intent can easily be misconstrued, which has happened here.

You appear to be a thoughtful considerate soul looking for help.