Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers on DD tow rig ('97 F350 CCLB Dually 4x4 manual)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Brian Donoghue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers on DD tow rig ('97 F350 CCLB Dually 4x4 manual)

Hey guys. This is going to be a long one. Sorry in advance. Im continuing my build. Converted a 1997 F350 crew cab long bed dually auto to 4x4 manual. Im going to convert it electric fuel system, stage 1 injectors, and intercooler. I want to put lockers into my truck.

In my last diesel (my parts truck for the 4x4 manual conversion) I was offered an antique truck (1947 Chevy 1.5 ton sheep hauler) and I needed to put it onto the bumper tow trailer I purchased. My wench broke on the trailer (wire snapped), so I used the one on my truck which also broke (it seized up), so I had to un hook the trailer (put logs and rocks and such around the trailer so it won't move). I then tied one side of the winch cable to the trailer and wrapped the cable around the axle of the chevy truck (using it as a kinda make shift ****** block) and then tied it to my truck. This worked very well till the rear axle got onto the ramps on the trailer. My truck was in reverse and 4x4 low (I started off high then went to low when that didn't work). Only 2 of the 4 tires were spinning so I was kinda making ruts. I then had to do a running start and that eventually got it onto the trailer that way. (Shows in the picture).

This is how it sat on the trailer. It took a lot of skill to put it on sense it was fully loaded with barbed wire.

I believe that lockers would have helped putting that truck onto the trailer. Would it help? I was thinking the OX-Air lockers because they also offer a "permanent locker" adapter tool just in case the air line brakes off.

I will be working at a vineyard/ranch here in California (Napa valley, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Temecula are just a few places). The hills will be some what steep and somewhat slick because I have to harvest before the rains come in. I will be towing 10 tons of harvest grapes or equipment from place to place. So I may need a locker in order not to get stuck.

This is what my truck looks like right now. Im going to put 315/75r16 AT tires on it (I know Im going to need to add a 2" spacer in the rear)

Whats y'alls input?
Thanks

Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't know much about the OX locker specifically, but from what I've heard it's a good product and I'd certainly consider it a front runner if I was looking for a selectable locker.

Personally I'm not sure I'd choose a selectable locker for a rear axle, but having said that, it might be the best choice for your application. A selectable is either open or it's a spool, and you have to think and do something to switch from one to the other. I never want a spool, and I don't mind the quirks of an automatic locker, so I prefer that to a selectable: it always locks unlocks when needed, without my needing to be distracted by it.

However, the one thing that automatic lockers are notably bad at is starting around corners pulling a heavy trailer. In that situation it's only driving the inside tire and it can be impossible to start without spinning that tire, even on pavement. One the inside tire catches up to the outside one it will lock and drive both, so you won't get stuck, but you will squeal a tire a lot.

With a selectable you have the advantage of being able to use an open differential (which contrary to popular rhetoric does drive both tires all the time, just not as positively as is often needed). So most of the time when you're on pavement you can leave the diff unlocked and start just fine, and when you need more traction you can lock it.

Another good option might be a TrueTrac. It's not as positive as a locker, but unless one tire is getting zero traction (on ice, or lifted in the air) it usually works really well. That might be my first choice for your situation, but if you really want the positive nature of a locker I think an OX locker is probably a good choice for you.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
jeepcj559
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a big heavy truck like yours go with tried and proven. Detroit Locker

Old 04-28-2017, 12:07 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
My recommendation would be a TrueTrac or Detroit Locker in the rear and an ARB air locker in the front.

A Detroit Locker can be a hand full when the truck is empty but it shines when the truck is loaded. A TrueTrac will be a bit more behaved but it's not as positive.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Brian Donoghue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh I forgot to add that I've been asked to be a chase truck for a buddy for his races so I have to put that into account