1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T4 vs T3 HD

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
KMAPRO
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T4 vs T3 HD

Yes, I know a lot of you don't like Rotella...but we just acquired a 55 gallon drum of T3HD in our maintenance shop. I have permission to use oils and such for my personal truck - I use my personal truck for a lot of stuff at work.

I normally run T4 in my 05 6.0. Can I run the T3HD in my truck?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
T3 HD?

Are you sure about that? What's the viscosity? Is it cj rated?

Old 04-27-2017, 02:56 PM
KMAPRO
Cross-Country
Yes - I am sure. I will garb a picture of the label tomorrow.

We ordered T4..but the T3 was delivered

Old 04-27-2017, 03:20 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
It's CJ-4 rated 15W-40. If you're changing it every 5,000 miles, I'd say run it. It's correctly rated diesel oil, if it were actively causing problems they wouldn't sell the stuff.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/ot...3-brochure.pdf

Old 04-27-2017, 03:28 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KMAPRO
Yes, I know a lot of you don't like Rotella...but we just acquired a 55 gallon drum of T3HD in our maintenance shop. I have permission to use oils and such for my personal truck - I use my personal truck for a lot of stuff at work.

I normally run T4 in my 05 6.0. Can I run the T3HD in my truck?
I use to swear by Rotella for my trucks. I grew up with my Grandfather and being around his septic business, where he would only use Rotella products for all his trucks.

That is probably why I use to be so true to Shell. But now that I have found Chevron, and seen how it stacks up against the others with a reasonable price tag, I use that. But I am open to other oils, even Supertech, because I am changing my intervals now.

Anyways, I am one of the people who don't hate Shell, just don't like paying more for a name.

The T3 is just fine. As far I can see, the only difference is that the T4 says "Triple Protection" and uses alot of fancy marketing words when describing it, and T3 is marketed as a Fleet product. That's it. Honestly, it looks like the same dude wearing different clothing.

Have no fear, use the T3.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 AM
KMAPRO
Cross-Country
Preciate it y'all.

I try to change my oil every 5000. It did go to 7500 the time before last, but that was because it was close to Christmas time and...well, $140 for an oil change is a bit pricey at that time of year.

I also change my fuel filters every other change - which it is due to be done this time....and I believe I am doing a transmission filter change (both filters) and a transmission flush.

I bought the truck a little over a year ago. It had 158k on it then and I am around 178k now. I know that I haven't changed the transmission filters and I don't know when it was done before that....anything I should know when doing this?

Thank for all the responses thus far

Old 04-28-2017, 09:14 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

.well, $140 for an oil change is a bit pricey
Bruh, wat? You're way overpaying. A cheap cnventional or semi-syn 15W40 oil change is about $50, I'll pay about $80 to run a 5W40 full synthetic.

$50 for 3 gallons, you need an extra 1-3 quarts depending on what your dipstick actually reads.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-D...Case/190972727
The way the dipstick tip sits at an angle, if you overfill by as little as half a quart you can't really tell how much more overfilled you're getting. The 15-quart spec on the oil change sheets consistently overfills the crankcase, there are many many guys here who run 12-14 quarts. Add 12 quarts (3 gal), then add in half quart increments until you see oil on the dipstick, then add just to the middle of the range. Bet you $5 you never go over 14 quarts. The oil above is just one example, you can get 15W-40 diesel oil for dirt cheap, most 5W40 synthetics you can get for $20-25/gal. For $140 you should be getting something premium, like Delvac 1, Mobil1 TDT, Schaeffers, or Royal Purple. Basically oils that are overkill for 5k OCIs.

$15 for an oil filter, about the same price as Wal Mart, which has Motorcraft ont he shelf: $35 for fuel filters also.
https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/...il-filter.html

Get a Fumoto valve, then you don't even have to mess with taking the oil plug out anymore. Put bucket under truck, take out oil filter, open valve. Lawn chair and chill....... Close valve. Put in filter. Done:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

I got the version with the hose nipple because I lived in Lubbock and would have to deal with 20+mph winds changing the oil, stuck a hose on the nipple and put the other end in the bucket, zero mess.

You don't need to change the internal trans filter unless you're going to change out the pan and add the later model filter; the internal filter for a 5R110W behind a 6.0 is basically just a mesh screen, the TP roll does all the real filtering. I changed out the pan and added the better filter like this:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...80-filter.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...on-a-6-0l.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-filter.html

Last edited by texastech_diesel; 04-28-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: more links
Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM
KMAPRO
Cross-Country
Sorry, my $140 related to the first time I changed the oil in my truck. I was going by what everyone else was telling me (right, wrong or indifferent) and buying T6..which was $24 per gallon...for 4 gallons, $100 (roughly)..add in the filter and I was $120 and change..sorry, I overshot my cost a bit.

I only put in 14 quarts last time I changed the oil. Mainly because I was a quart short of the 15. Thank you for filling me in on that. I will make sure that I follow this procedure from now on.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:37 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

Get a Fumoto valve, then you don't even have to mess with taking the oil plug out anymore. Put bucket under truck, take out oil filter, open valve. Lawn chair and chill....... Close valve. Put in filter. Done:
Great advice. One of the best things I have purchased for my truck. Especially with me doing oil changes so often.

Preciate it y'all.

I try to change my oil every 5000. It did go to 7500 the time before last, but that was because it was close to Christmas time and...well, $140 for an oil change is a bit pricey at that time of year.........................

Thank for all the responses thus far
Another way to find out if you can stretch your oil change intervals is sending off your oil for analysis at Blackstone. They will tell you, based off the oil you provide, what mileage intervals are needed.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:43 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

I overshot my cost a bit.
No worries, I'm mainly making sure you don't think $140 is the normal cost for an oil change, you can save a lot from that number.

4 gallons, $100.....
I only put in 14 quarts last time I changed the oil. Mainly because I was a quart short of the 15.
You bought 16 quarts if you bought 4 gallons. You didn't overfill it did you?

Ok, I'm just picking on you now. Run the T3, buy a Fumoto, and upgrade the trans pan/filter