2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:29 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Looking at the Carfax seems to indicate that it "might" have had 2 oil changes; one at 15K, and another at 25K. That's not a great sign.

Just out of curiosity, what are the engine hours/idle hours, and currently showing % oil life?

Doing a quick check on our 2015, we have 22,300 miles, 788 engine hours, 94 idle hours, and 79% oil life.

That puts our average speed at 28 MPH, and about 12% idle.

Kind of makes me want to do a survey...

Old 04-28-2017, 01:43 PM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
You should ask the dealer who sold it to you to take it back. They are obviously, from all you have stated here, negligent in their inspection process. If they are a stand up business they will admit to it and offer you an opportunity to buy another truck or just buy yours back.

How far are you from that dealer?
5 hours...traffic...getting from PA to Long Island NY. it was terrible the one time I did it and don't want to do it again.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Looking at the Carfax seems to indicate that it "might" have had 2 oil changes; one at 15K, and another at 25K. That's not a great sign.

Just out of curiosity, what are the engine hours/idle hours, and currently showing % oil life?

Doing a quick check on our 2015, we have 22,300 miles, 788 engine hours, 94 idle hours, and 79% oil life.

That puts our average speed at 28 MPH, and about 12% idle.

Kind of makes me want to do a survey...
Taken this morning.

I reset this the day I drove it off the lot...so this is all I have put on it.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:07 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Well,

It`s obvious the selling dealer was dishonest with you by saying this vehicle is a CPO which includes the multi point inspection by a Ford dealer.

The sludge and air filter are clear indications they did no such inspection so if I were you, i`d take it back to the dealer and ask for your money back and you should also get on the phone with the CarFax people and tell them whats happening because they also have a Guarantee.

I know you really want a Platinum but cut your losses, get your money back, and look for another Platinum.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:10 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Believe it or not,

You might be able to find a brand new 2016 Platinum for not musc more than you paid for this CPO.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
I'm going to add this then I'm going to shut up.

I wouldn't settle on this till the engine was replaced. I'm talking turbos and anything that comes in contact with oil.

For the life of me I can't understand why someone would neglect a vehicle like this, expect a dealer to handle it then the dealer just simply passes it on the to next person.

I understand why Ford isn't getting more involved, the truck is used and Ford has to offer it's dealer network some level of trust to properly represent the brand.

Please keep us in the loop sir.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:45 AM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
First off, thank you all for your help and support on this. I have been reading everyones comments as they have been coming in. Your comments have switched my emotions from being nervous and worried to being confident and assured that I am not going to get screwed on this issue. Based on everyones input the dealer i got it from doesn't have a leg to stand on...and so far they are telling me they will take care of it. So I will give them that chance. Which is what Ford Customer service told me to do. I trust the local Ford dealer I am taking it to and spoke with them about the situation and they understand the severity of it and I am confident they are going to properly assess this motor and issue and document it. We will see what they have to say when they assess it Monday/Tuesday.

From that, I WILL NOT accept a flush of all fluids and run it for 3k and flush again. I think we are beyond that. I have seen cases where that has helped, but i think those cases were not as severe as this, IMO. I've been working on cars since I was 14 (not as a career, but as a hobby and a love for anything with wheels or a motor) and I've seen some slugged engines and neglect and this is obviously that. It is also obvious that the selling dealer form NJ cheated and the NY dealer cheated in there inspections and analysis of the vehicle. Based on that I will NOT settle for less then a new motor with new turbos. Which would include a replacement of any part that has come into contact with oil and an extension of the Bumper to Bumper and powertrain based on the this situation.

To me new motor is basically a new truck and thats what I paid for. If for some reason they will not replace the motor and turbos, I will be telling the dealer to take the truck back and pay me for my expenses, which I have record of. I have never been known to lay down at my job or in my personal life. I am not a mean person and I do not scream or yell, unless warranted. One of my favorite sayings is "Compromise where you can. Where you can't...don't. Even if everyone is telling you something wrong is something right."

I am expecting a call back from the sales guy and Used Car Manager and a copy of the 172 point inspection today. I will continue to keep everyone updated and thanks again for all your help and support through this!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:16 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Your unemotional approach to this is exactly the right way to deal with this, and your insistence of a new motor or buyback is IMO not unreasonable. No matter how much they flush it I would never trust that engine.

The sad part is that, if the selling dealership buys it back, they will probably do a quick flush and stick someone else with this mess.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
While I do understand how you`re now feeling after reading all of the comments, I hate to tell you this but the odds of them putting a new engine and turbos in this truck is zero.

If it was a brand new truck then I would understand but since it`s a used truck and a CPO, the only thing their required to do is repair/flush it out several times.

If you insist on them replacing the engine then you`re putting yourself in a position of weakness.

I can`t understand why you don`t just cut your losses now and get your money back because it`s obvious you`re holding all of the cards right now and your position on this matter is the strongest.

I`m not saying this is the case but by you not just getting your money back and being so tied to this very Platinum F150, it sounds like there`s more to this story that you haven`t mentioned.

I`ll gladly apologize if i`m wrong.

Try to have a good day.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:15 AM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Originally Posted by GABAR
While I do understand how you`re now feeling after reading all of the comments, I hate to tell you this but the odds of them putting a new engine and turbos in this truck is zero.

If it was a brand new truck then I would understand but since it`s a used truck and a CPO, the only thing their required to do is repair/flush it out several times.

If you insist on them replacing the engine then you`re putting yourself in a position of weakness.

I can`t understand why you don`t just cut your losses now and get your money back because it`s obvious you`re holding all of the cards right now and your position on this matter is the strongest.

I`m not saying this is the case but by you not just getting your money back and being so tied to this very Platinum F150, it sounds like there`s more to this story that you haven`t mentioned.

I`ll gladly apologize if i`m wrong.

Try to have a good day.
I'm am okay with asking for my money back on this truck if the assessment of this truck is that its not worth the risk.

Honestly, the reason I am not just dropping this and saying give me my money back is the fact that this has been the truck I wanted for 2 years. It took me a year to find one in my price range and in good condition. Or so I thought. There were a lot of pieces that needed to fall into place financially and it all fell into place at the right time. So, yes, I do have an emotional attachment to this truck in a way. So, forgive me for not just dropping it back off at the dealer and saying give me my money back and start the year long process over again.

Is that the right way to approach this, IDK. I don't even know how severe this is. But I'm willing to find out before making a final decision. After EVERYTHING is analyzed and my options are laid out. I will make the smartest decision for me and my family. The way I see it, I am in the drivers seat right now.

I agree that a new engine is going to be a HELL of a battle, but who knows...But after all of this I will have a sound trustworthy truck, whether thats with this truck or a different one.

Thanks for your input and support and I will keep you updated.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Good morning and thanks for responding to my reply.

I totally understand where you`re coming from so I do apologize if my previous reply came out in a negative way.

I have my fingers crossed and I really hope everything works out well for you.

Keep us posted and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Well, heres an update for today:

Dropped off the truck at Local dealer and went in and talked to the Service Agent and the Assistant Service Manager. I told them I just wanted to make sure they understood the situation and I’m just looking for them to figure out what the issue is, the severity, and what its going to take to get it fixed. the Assistant Service Manager asked me to kind of tell him what’s going on and I told him the story about the rattling, then the poor gas mileage and then how I found the filter. I showed him the pictures of the air filter and the oil sludge. I could tell by his facial expressions the surprise that this was a Certified Preown only 3 weeks old. He asked if I could send them and I did. I also showed him the tapping video I had and sent that to them as well. He asked if I changed the oil filter and I said “Nope” and he said “I wonder if it’s even a ford filter?” and I said “Its not, its solid black” (Which I have pictures of). Once again his facial expression said it all. I told him “I talked to a few other dealers and they wouldn’t touch it cause it was neglect by the previous owner and it wasn’t covered.” They said, “No, that’s not true, it’s certified”. He asked if they gave me a copy of the inspection and I said, “No, what I have is the Certified PreOwned Delivery Checklist. I asked that the selling dealer provide it to me and they said they would today, but I don’t think they did it.” I told them I called Ford for direction and they asked if I had a case open and I said “Yes” and they said they could look it up by my name. They said they would get it in as soon as possible and get it taken care of. They said they would work with Ford and figure out what needed to be done to get this resolved for me.

2:57pm - I called NY dealer and left another Voicemail fro the Used Car Sales Manager

3:45pm - Local Ford dealer called me to give me an update that they had the truck int he shop and were getting ready to start working on it. They are putting a senior tech on this because he has experience with this type of thing and can be very thorough with my vehicle. HE said once the tech has taken a look at everything they would contact Ford and work with them to figure out what needed to be done to fix this issue for me and reach out to me and keep me updated. I told them to let me know if I needed to do anything. I also told them I was still waiting for the Inspection from the NY dealer. I would send it over when and if I receive it.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:57 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Very interesting that the selling dealer didn`t give you any and all paperwork pertaining to this being a CPO vehicle while you were in the finance mangers office signing all of the paperwork.

Hmmm, their going to send you the paperwork?

This dealer sounds very shady indeed and I wouldn`t be surprised if they come back and say that the paperwork you signed was just for a regular used vehicle.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:39 PM
JTRH
Freshman User
Any and all dealers that are telling you they can't warranty anything on the truck just don't want the hassle. A CPO warranty is essentially the same thing as a new car warranty, that's why they're 'supposed' to do the huge inspection on it. They can warranty anything that's covered whether it was done at their dealership or not. Like other's have said, do not take anything less than a new motor. If they won't give you a new motor fight for a buyback and see if Ford will let you use X or D plan pricing on a new purchase.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm pretty sure your local Ford dealership can see what other dealerships have done to your vehicle. They have access to One Ford just like you do. I can log in and see every service done on any of my current Ford vehicles. Go to owner.ford.com and setup your account. You access it by login and the dealer accesses it by VIN.
I never tried it with a used vehicle so I don't know if you will get previous owners services or not.

I don't know if I would fight for a new engine. I would fight to get this one inspected, flushed out and any issues fixed. I would also fight for an extended power train warranty. There are such things as lifetime power train warranties that would give you piece of mind for a long time.

Quick Reply: Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!