1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Picked up my first diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:52 PM
JTRH
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up my first diesel!

What's up guys? Glad I found a solid forum for the truck, I have much to learn and I'm pumped I picked this up. She's been well taken care of. My use of the search function will be strong over the next several months. Nevertheless, here's some specs and some modifications done by the previous owner.

1996 Red F250 - Regular Cab Long Bed
7.3 w/ 240,000 miles - Auto Trans
Stage II 160cc Rosewood Injectors
Front Dana 60 swap
Add a leaf on 33x12.50 Federal's
Hutch Mod
PHP Hydra chip
2006 Captains Chairs swapped in

Previous owner did a good amount of work fixing little things. Ran new brake lines on the front, replaced all the battery terminals and wiring harness, replaced the A/C wiring harness and all the components, everything interior wise that was broken/worn was replaced, etc.

Doesn't have a lick of blow by, free of leaks and all the fluids are good. The only negative is that the fuel gauge is pegged full. It's also running a small hood stack which isn't really my forte but I can live with it until I find time to run an exhaust and find a new hood.

As far as plans go I'm going to download the Torque Pro app and get that going, install some trans temp and EGT gauges and start searching for a reason for the fuel gauge being pegged. Overall, I think it's a good intro truck.

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice truck! Looks like you've got everything covered besides maybe an intercooler.

As long as you keep an eye on your egts, you'll be good with those giant injectors and a stock turbo.. Just be careful!

Just read read read and make a list of mods and upgrades you want/need... Keeping it all organized will definitely help

Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Nice truck. I don't know why anybody would want a hood stack unless they raced it. Does the fuel gauge peg out on both tanks?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JTRH
What's up guys? Glad I found a solid forum for the truck, I have much to learn and I'm pumped I picked this up. She's been well taken care of. My use of the search function will be strong over the next several months. Nevertheless, here's some specs and some modifications done by the previous owner.

1996 Red F250 - Regular Cab Long Bed
7.3 w/ 240,000 miles - Auto Trans
Stage II 160cc Rosewood Injectors
Front Dana 60 swap
Add a leaf on 33x12.50 Federal's
Hutch Mod
PHP Hydra chip
2006 Captains Chairs swapped in

Previous owner did a good amount of work fixing little things. Ran new brake lines on the front, replaced all the battery terminals and wiring harness, replaced the A/C wiring harness and all the components, everything interior wise that was broken/worn was replaced, etc.

Doesn't have a lick of blow by, free of leaks and all the fluids are good. The only negative is that the fuel gauge is pegged full. It's also running a small hood stack which isn't really my forte but I can live with it until I find time to run an exhaust and find a new hood.

As far as plans go I'm going to download the Torque Pro app and get that going, install some trans temp and EGT gauges and start searching for a reason for the fuel gauge being pegged. Overall, I think it's a good intro truck.
Good looking truck! Where are you located? I have a a pretty clean red hood I would gladly trade out for a good stack setup. Even have a DP that could come with it. I'm in Columbus, Oh.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Nice truck. I don't know why anybody would want a hood stack unless they raced it. Does the fuel gauge peg out on both tanks?
Because why not!!?? I wouldn't want to go full time with one.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM
JTRH
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Nice truck! Looks like you've got everything covered besides maybe an intercooler.

As long as you keep an eye on your egts, you'll be good with those giant injectors and a stock turbo.. Just be careful!

Just read read read and make a list of mods and upgrades you want/need... Keeping it all organized will definitely help
yeah definitely don't plan on beating the crap out of it. I need to get into the hydra software and dial the tune back to the least hp daily tune. He's running the medium one.

Yeah I have to agree, the thing is LOUD. I'm not the obnoxious type. Yessir, pegged for both tanks.

Originally Posted by tshrager
Good looking truck! Where are you located? I have a a pretty clean red hood I would gladly trade out for a good stack setup. Even have a DP that could come with it. I'm in Columbus, Oh.
I would love to take you up on that deal, but I'm down in central Florida. Bit of a hike lol

Old 04-27-2017, 04:15 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 872 Likes on 664 Posts
Doesn't have a lick of blow by?

can you post a video?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,187 Likes on 816 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
Nice looking truck my man, defiantly a looker, I agree the hood stack has to go.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 PM
JTRH
Freshman User
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Doesn't have a lick of blow by?

can you post a video?
As far as the cap test goes...

I guess I could, probably this weekend sometime.

Originally Posted by z31freakify
Welcome to FTE!
Nice looking truck my man, defiantly a looker, I agree the hood stack has to go.
Thank you!

Old 04-27-2017, 11:42 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Because why not!!?? I wouldn't want to go full time with one.

I believe I said unless they raced it!

Old 04-28-2017, 05:39 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe I said unless they raced it!
Lol! There's no way I could do it often or DD it. But the kids would love it. Who knows, I could put one on and absolutely hate it. Neil has 2 hoods and will hood stack it to RRE. I like the idea of having options. Plus, did I mention the kids!!?? Lol

Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM
JTRH
Freshman User
Lol! There's no way I could do it often or DD it. But the kids would love it. Who knows, I could put one on and absolutely hate it. Neil has 2 hoods and will hood stack it to RRE. I like the idea of having options. Plus, did I mention the kids!!?? Lol
After 2 days of DDing a hood stack I'm kind of up in the air about it. You're right though, the thing gets a ton of attention from the younger crowd.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Splatts dailys a hood stack. Where did he get off to anyway

Old 04-30-2017, 05:57 PM
JTRH
Freshman User
Dove into the Hydra today to check things out. It only had two positions programmed, slot 2 is a 25HP light towing tune which I haven't switched off of since I got it. Slot 3 is a 65HP daily tune. Searching through here and gathering info off guys installing the chip I knew right away to look at the gaggle of numbers preceding the different tunes, Slot 2 was a FA20MOI and slot 3 was an FA20**** something different and there were definitely no FA20MOI slots for the can tunes in the Hydraflash. Looks like I'll be looking for a custom daily hp tune here soon, I can tell the 25HP tow mode is shifting the trans like it should have some weight behind it.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

PHP (power hungry performance) has a bunch of canned tunes on his website that you could play with for free until you can get some custom tunes.

Edit: I always print mine out so I can keep track of them.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:04 PM
JTRH
Freshman User
PHP (power hungry performance) has a bunch of canned tunes on his website that you could play with for free until you can get some custom tunes.

Edit: I always print mine out so I can keep track of them.
youre referring to the tunes that you pull up in the software right? I need to pull my PCM code to see which ones are compatible first off, and secondly I'm not sure any of them will run correctly on stage 2 injectors.

Quick Reply: Picked up my first diesel!