2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Turn Off Tow/Haul Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Capt. Ted
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Turn Off Tow/Haul Mode

I know this has been discussed here. Now that I have my truck, I cannot find the posts instructing how to turn the tow/haul mode off.

I disconnected my trailer, and it continues to rack up "tow miles".

Help?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 PM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to go into trailer options and select no trailer.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 PM
rrogersgsp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I disconnect my trailer the truck tells me it's been disconnected.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 PM
SilverTop54
New User
Go to trailer options, "select trailer", and pick "no active trailer"

Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Capt. Ted
Mountain Pass
Oh yeah, that worked. Thank you!

Now back to studying the manual. So much to consume....

Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Was something changed on the trucks that the miles don't stop when the trailer is disconnected?
The 2011-2016 only show miles when connected.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
Was something changed on the trucks that the miles don't stop when the trailer is disconnected?
The 2011-2016 only show miles when connected.
*Some of us* experience this problem. The 2011-2016 trucks worked fine...disconnect trailer plug, and no more miles rack up. Some 2017's work the exact same way, and some continue to default to the towing screen and accumulate miles even when your trailer is physically disconnected.

I was under the assumption that all 2017's operate in the manner where you have to manually deselect the trailer after each time you tow...but I'm told this is not the case. So far, EpicCowlick has told me his works "normally" but my truck works "improperly" like Capt. Ted's. We have also wondered if it was an early build thing. Capt Ted, when was your truck built? (Its on the door sticker if you don't know). Mine was 9/16.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
My F-350 works the same as EpicCowlick. No need to manually disconnect the trailer on the screen. Sounds like a software issue to me.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
*Some of us* experience this problem. The 2011-2016 trucks worked fine...disconnect trailer plug, and no more miles rack up. Some 2017's work the exact same way, and some continue to default to the towing screen and accumulate miles even when your trailer is physically disconnected.

I was under the assumption that all 2017's operate in the manner where you have to manually deselect the trailer after each time you tow...but I'm told this is not the case. So far, EpicCowlick has told me his works "normally" but my truck works "improperly" like Capt. Ted's. We have also wondered if it was an early build thing. Capt Ted, when was your truck built? (Its on the door sticker if you don't know). Mine was 9/16.
I started doubting myself and hooked up the trailer to confirm. Sequence is
  • plug in trailer gives Bilndspot warning and then Trailer Information screen shows the last trailer I used as selected. From there I can select different trailer if needed.
  • Unplug trailer gives Trailer Disconnected warning. When acknowledged immediately goes to Towing tab Towing Information screen No Active Trailer.
  • When I go to select trailer I get my list of trailers but No Active Trailer is on top and selected.
All of my trailers have appropriate mileage since I set them all up so I know none of them are accumulating miles when unhooked. Call it confirmed. Some trucks are working as they should and others are not releasing the trailer when disconnected.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When you guys hooked up trailers for the first time, did all electrical work properly especially with the Brake controller? I will be hooking up for the fist time in Aug and curious if anyone had any issues.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 PM
KidAutolite
Junior User
TRAILER MILEAGE

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I started doubting myself and hooked up the trailer to confirm. Sequence is
  • plug in trailer gives Bilndspot warning and then Trailer Information screen shows the last trailer I used as selected. From there I can select different trailer if needed.
  • Unplug trailer gives Trailer Disconnected warning. When acknowledged immediately goes to Towing tab Towing Information screen No Active Trailer.
  • When I go to select trailer I get my list of trailers but No Active Trailer is on top and selected.
All of my trailers have appropriate mileage since I set them all up so I know none of them are accumulating miles when unhooked. Call it confirmed. Some trucks are working as they should and others are not releasing the trailer when disconnected.
Can you enter the mileage for a trailer on set up?

Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
Mine works properly, but I typically have the truck running when I connect/disconnect since I'm backing under or pulling away from my fiver. Wonder if it matters if the truck is running or not...

Old 04-26-2017, 01:43 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by KidAutolite
Can you enter the mileage for a trailer on set up?
I think you can. I didn't, but I believe I saw a spot to do that.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:44 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
No way to set mileage on a trailer. You can reset it to zero at any time though.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Capt. Ted
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by troverman

My truck was built on 3/29/17. I picked it up with my empty, triple axle boat trailer attached on Saturday, 4/22. We spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why the tow/haul mode would display the six tires, but no digits! The tech guys were no where to found, just me and the salesman. Then, it dawned us, the wheels needed to be rolling. Perfection, I should have taken a picture, I had six tires displayed at 68, 69, or 70 PSI once on the road. I was too enamoured with the rest of the truck to think of taking the picture. The trailer went right to storage until this fall. I know, it didn't happen...no picture. The camera in the back of the trailer worked awesome also. However, trying to use the camera instead of my mirrors, was a fail. Just use it to make sure your not running over a bicycle or something, and back using the wonderful extended mirrors.

Then, I knew to watch for the tow/haul/mileage mode to continue after unhooking the trailer, which it did continue, racking up miles, and defaulting to the tow/haul screen. I thought there was more to getting out of that, than there was. I was just looking in the wrong spot to "disengage".

Quick Reply: Turn Off Tow/Haul Mode