Tuxedo Black Scratch/Chip Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 PM
026TB4U
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuxedo Black Scratch/Chip Repair

I have a few (white) scratches on my tuxedo black paint. Can I assume it went through the clear-coat and color and that is why they are white? Or is the clear-coat just scratched?

What is the best way to repair?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM
026TB4U
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has chimed in yet.

I have purchased some Motorcraft Tuxedo Black touch-up paint and am considering using it with the Langka Paint Chip Repair Kit

Again, looking for some input before I make any decisions.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
If you have a lot of patience you can do this yourself.

It does take several applications/attempts but here's a method you can do...

1. purchase matching touch up paint & clear (dealer, Duplicolor, etc.). Do not use laytex or urathane, the touch-up paint is lacquer and must be used for this process.

2. Use denatured (oil free) alcohol and clean the scratch area with a rag.

3. Using 3000 grit sandpaper and water with a drop os dish soap, very gently remove any sharp edges left at the paint edge

4. Using the touchup brush (or take a cardboard match and cut the end on a diagonal) , apply the color paint to the area....let sit for 24 hours and refill. You will have to do this several times as lacquer shrinks. Continue to fill until when the paint dries, there is a small bump (overfill).

5. After completely drying for a week, wrap a lint free rag/towel around a plastic bondo spreader, apply lacquer thinner on the towel.

6. Very lightly and at a slight diaginal motion to the scratch, drag the rag over the top of the paint overfill in one continuous direction. A light touch and consistancy is the important process here- you are in essence, softening and removing the excess paint until it is flush with the present paint surface (it is wet sanding without the sandpaper). If you remove too much paint, don't worry, stop, allow it to dry and refill with more paint, wait 3-5 days, then repeat.

When the paint is at the surface you want, let dry for a couple of days, apply one coat (brush stroke) of the clear over the immediate repair- allow to dry for 1 week. It should almost be invisable. To make the repair disappear, using 3000 grit sandpaper, make up a dish soap/water solution soaking the paper for 15 minutes and then apply the water to the surface (the soap reduces the possibility of deep scratches). With just the tip of your finger and using a very small piece of sandpaper, lightly rub the surface of the painted area until is is smooth. You must be very cognizant of the feel since it will be flat just before you actually think it is.

the area will be white, polish with a mild liquid such as 3M Finise II, wax and you are done.