1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1980 F150 manual i6 -- 2 questions -- high idle -- transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:51 PM
QuinnEskimo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 F150 manual i6 -- 2 questions -- high idle -- transfer case

Hi folks! Been reading/referencing/lurking at FTE for a few years now. This truck I have here is really my first time getting my hands dirty with any kind of vehicle or motor - and I'm learning more here every day. Gotta thank all the knowledgeable posters out there for your (mostly indirect) help!

I was actually (with the help of FTE, some youtube, and my shop manual) able to fix a few slight problems - some hesitation when the engine is not totally warm, and occasional dieseling/run-on. I did some routine air cleaner maintenance, the whole seafoam rigamarole, some throttle plate cleaning/lubing, and a timing coil adjustment.

Which brings me to my first related (I think) question:

The truck starts like an absolute charm after a a couple pedal-pumps. But from there the idle climbs and climbs and climbs and doesn't seem to want to slow off. It requires me to hit the gas one more time to get it to kick over to a low/curb idle. Is this normal?? I started going down a research rabbit-hole (which I tend to do) on setting the idle mix, choke pull-off, fast idle cam, etc, etc. but quickly got in over my head. Was hoping to confirm whether my fast idle is even abnormal before I go digging any deeper or worse yet, fiddling with something that isn't broken. Truck never had a tachometer, so I can't really tell you how high it's climbing. But it just wants to GO.

My second question is kind of random:

I've got a small thick rubber hose (like a ventilator/breather tube type) dangling off the top of my transfer case. It feels like it's connected up there by a plastic "L" shaped valve plug from what I can feel. It's short, about 16" and doesn't appear to have been torn or broken. It's been swinging in the breeze for a long while by the looks of it, looks like it could get chewed up by the drive shaft yokes at any minute. Not sure if it's causing any problems - but it sure isn't going any good hangin' out like that! Any ideas?

And maybe one more for good measure... In't she purdy?!

Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by QuinnEskimo
The truck starts like an absolute charm after a a couple pedal-pumps. But from there the idle climbs and climbs and climbs and doesn't seem to want to slow off. It requires me to hit the gas one more time to get it to kick over to a low/curb idle. Is this normal??
Welcome! That's a great looking truck you have there.

To answer your first question (I can't help with the second), that's perfectly normal behavior. Mine works the same way - I press the gas once to set the choke, it starts right up, and then I tap the gas once to drop it off of high idle. It does sound like it's trying to run away, but I've always assumed it is designed that way so you don't have to fiddle with the gas pedal to keep it going in cold weather after startup.

In fact, in my case I usually never actually take it off of high idle...I start it and then put it in gear, and I'm usually doing 10-15mph before I touch the gas again.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Having to kick it several times while it warms up is normal. The choke operates the choke door on top of the carb, and it also operates a fast idle cam that swings around and keeps the engine idle higher than normal. It has steps on it, the more choke, the faster the idle.

Problem is that the throttle has a hefty spring on it to keep the throttle closed when you are not pushing on the gas pedal. This puts a lot of pressure on the fast idle cam and the screw that rests against it. When the engine starts warming up and the choke starts opening, it doesn't have enough strength behind it to slide the fast idle cam down the steps to slow the idle. So as the engine warms up, it gets faster and faster. When you kick the pedal, you are taking the throttle off the fast idle cam for a instant, and this lets the choke move it around before the throttle gets back on it. You may have to kick it several times over a period of time till the fast idle cam is finally out of the way.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
On the transfer case vent hose, I am sure there is a clip somewhere on the crossmember where it clips, but I can't remember exactly where it is located. You have the same thing on the rearend and the front pumpkin. And the factory usually stuck a little plastic piece in the end to keep mud daubers from filling the hose up with dirt.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 PM
QuinnEskimo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
You may have to kick it several times over a period of time till the fast idle cam is finally out of the way.
Yep - I've definitely had it climb back up once or twice before it finally settled. Most of the time, I'm already out of the driveway though. Good to know it's working as usual! Thanks Franklin & Dorsai