Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Wheels moaning on 2006 f350 super duty diesel

Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Slshoe
New User
Slshoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wheels moaning on 2006 f350 super duty diesel

Hi new to the site and in a pinch. A few months ago I bought a used 2006 F350 superduty with manual/ auto 4x4. For the last few months I have had an intermittent moaning noise coming from the wheels. It happens when going at slow speeds (under 30mph) I have checked all calipers and made sure none were frozen. Brake pads have at least 75% life in them. I put the truck in neutral to spin all tires by hand and try to replicate the sound. The front seem to spin easy. The drivers rear will spin but is hard to move and the passenger side I can barely move (I'm assuming it's because it's the drive tire? I believe it has something to do with the rotation of the tire because when driving it moans in intervals. Like it's at a certain point in the rotation something is rubbing. Any ideas how to troubleshoot further? When going through parking lots it is quite noisy and I can feel the running in my brake pedal.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 PM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
Could the parking brake shoes be dragging?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Slshoe
New User
Slshoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
No I disabled those and removed the shoes a couple months ago because they were seized up. I still have to get a rebuild kit so right now there are no E brake shoes installed.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Slshoe View Post
The drivers rear will spin but is hard to move and the passenger side I can barely move (I'm assuming it's because it's the drive tire?
Looks like you found your problem. When in 2WD you have two tires driving...that's why they call it that. If one is harder to turn than the other, you've found your likely culprit.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:03 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
droldsmorland has a good reputation on FTE.droldsmorland has a good reputation on FTE.
Known issues.
1. Bad caliper
2. Bad rubber brake line
3. Bad Ebrake assemblies
4. Bad Ebrake backing plate
5. Bad wheel bearing
6. Bad U Joint
7. Bad carrier bearing

Is the noise in the front or rear?
How many miles on the rig?
Depending on miles it could be a bad front hub bearing or a brinelled bearing elsewhere in the driveline.
When installing the pads it's important to ensure they move freely in the caliper cage. Use the silicone grease liberally where the clips ride in the cage grooves. The grease needs to be reapplied annually if you live in the salt belt. The little spring clips are important on the pads. Make sure they are there and installed in the right manner.
Driveline noises can be difficult to diagnose as the noise transmits throughout the chassis. So it's even harder to diagnose online.