6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 AM
throwdown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem with advance/ brake warning lights and message. Ford says it is the brake fluid level sensor and I have to replace the entire master cylinder as the sensor is not available separate. Hard to believe.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 AM
WY com guy
New User
3 visits to dealer, still having issue

I've been having issue where I get a chime (double ding) and no lights. Then I get the same chime (double ding) and traction control light comes on. This gets progressively worse until I start getting Hill Descent Control Fault, Service Advancetrack on my dash. Then it starts cycling Hill Descent Fault, Service Brakes, Advancetrack and the infamous Wrench comes on. Meanwhile, all 3 idiot lights light up on the dash (Traction Control, ABS, Emergency Brake).

Someone made mention about hauling a trailer when his started. Thinking back, mine started with this as well. I was hauling a trailer when I first experienced this. I got horrible mileage that trip too. It's been happening ever since with/without a trailer in tow. I haven't felt any hard pulls to the left or right as others have mentioned.

Dealer keeps finding different connectors between computers that have corrosion in them. They clean them, lube them and still same. They claim they have driven and can't get any alarms, but see them in the diagnostics. I drive for about 10 minutes and get at least 1 alarm if not more. It seems to happen whenever I start hitting rough patches in the road. There is a section of road that I can drive and it seems to almost always come on when driving over that.

I'm thinking rear wheel sensor, but dealer says no. It snowed here couple of days ago and initially I wasn't getting the Traction LED light on the dash. (same one as usually comes on with a fault) I intentionally spun the rear wheels a couple of times and then the light came on.

Don't know how a 7-way correlates to any of this, but these damn things keep getting more and more complicated. What ever happened to KISS (Keep it simple stupid?) So, we drive vehicles today that have more computing power than Apollo 11.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Fert
Senior User
I had that actually come on today. the next time that happens, try this. stop and apply the parking brake. then pull the lever to release the brake. clears mine every time. there has to be some wire up there that wiggles loose. I looked for lose connectors and all seem solid.

Fert

Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 AM
skysoldier69
New User
Is the plug attached to e brake bracket under driver seat to correct hill descent light? Never mind, I found it, disconnected and reconnected and it cleared! Thanks!!!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Pipeliner600
New User
Originally Posted by skysoldier69
Is the plug attached to e brake bracket under driver seat to correct hill descent light? Never mind, I found it, disconnected and reconnected and it cleared! Thanks!!!
Where is this plug ? Just got both pop ups

Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 AM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Pipeliner600

Where is this plug ? Just got both pop ups
its a large grey plug that is mounted to the top of the e brake bracket. Only large plug up there. Squeeze the plug together, make sure all the wires are pushed into the plugs. This fixed mine. Happens all the time with people who regularly apply their park brake.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mxer0022
its a large grey plug that is mounted to the top of the e brake bracket. Only large plug up there. Squeeze the plug together, make sure all the wires are pushed into the plugs. This fixed mine. Happens all the time with people who regularly apply their park brake.
Correct.

Just to add a little....
Can cut its e-brake bracket wire tie off, then wire tie it out of the way off the e-brake vibrations.
If you lightly kick the side panel or snap the e-brake off/on again, then it will usually go off temporarily. The fix will last longer if you unplug/reseat the plug with a small bit of elec lube spray,,, but till you tie that large plug off the e-bracket its all temporary..Since I did that years ago, never even 1 more adv trac, etc, warnings.

jmo

Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Pipeliner600
New User
Originally Posted by allcool
Correct.

Just to add a little....
Can cut its e-brake bracket wire tie off, then wire tie it out of the way off the e-brake vibrations.
If you lightly kick the side panel or snap the e-brake off/on again, then it will usually go off temporarily. The fix will last longer if you unplug/reseat the plug with a small bit of elec lube spray,,, but till you tie that large plug off the e-bracket its all temporary..Since I did that years ago, never even 1 more adv trac, etc, warnings.

jmo
so I unplugged checked and replugged and still the warnings. Then on top of it an hour later on the way home it popped another .... check brake system and the ebrake light ....so it’s now Service Advancetrac ..Hill Descent Fault ....Check Brake System. ... ABS light and EBrake light ....sigh.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:09 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pipeliner600

so I unplugged checked and replugged and still the warnings. Then on top of it an hour later on the way home it popped another .... check brake system and the ebrake light ....so it’s now Service Advancetrac ..Hill Descent Fault ....Check Brake System. ... ABS light and EBrake light ....sigh.
Its in that plug for sure. Keep at it you'll get it.
Make sure you got the right plug, cut its wire tie free from the e-brake bracket like in my above post, then pull apart and check all the pins are seated fully and then fully engaged when plugged together.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:38 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I had this same exact trouble a few years ago while on vacation. Dealer had a look and it was this plug. Have not had any trouble of this kind since. Dealer re-set the plug and all was good.

Some of the cheaper OBDII Code Readers can cause this trouble too, I've read. If you have one plugged in, take it out and see if the code re-appears once it's reset.

bruce...

Old 04-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Pipeliner600
New User
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I had this same exact trouble a few years ago while on vacation. Dealer had a look and it was this plug. Have not had any trouble of this kind since. Dealer re-set the plug and all was good.

Some of the cheaper OBDII Code Readers can cause this trouble too, I've read. If you have one plugged in, take it out and see if the code re-appears once it's reset.

bruce...

Is this plug the one circled in red or green ? If it’s the green I can’t get the plug free from the bracket .... there’s a tab of some sort and I have pulled till I almost popped a blood vessel lol. Do I break off that tab ? How do I undo the plug ? Squeeze ? clips ? Sorry it’s hard to see what’s what up in there.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:38 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
It's the plug circled in green. To undo the plug, pull the grey plastic release forward. Reseat the plug and then push the grey release rearward.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Pipeliner600
New User
Update.....

Just got the truck back from Ford and both rear axle sensors were replaced. Both failed the “test”. No more codes or warnings. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:21 PM
drohead
New User
Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Just bought a 2016 f350 from a private seller 35k miles. Having the Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault error with check brake light on. Vehicle power down to only run up to 3rd gear, high rpms. Warranty almost up, taken to LHM ford here in SLC. I wonder if there are any new updates to fix. Trying to avoid a costly repair if its a speed sensor, ABS monitor, ECM module, or ebrake connector if its gone bad before warranty expires. Is anyone still having issues?? Ford service seem to be in the dark on this issue after reading comments, and taking it in. Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated.,

Old 05-14-2018, 05:05 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Mine still throws the advance track and hill descent alerts up now and then, but it's more of a minor annoyance than an issue for me. When I get around to it, I will mess with the plug at the parking brake and get it to clear for several months. I'm right at 100k and first had the issue around 20k.

Quick Reply: Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault