2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Moonroof Leaks Now From High Pressure Car Wash.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM
TrikeDawg
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moonroof Leaks Now From High Pressure Car Wash.

I've been using the same automatic car wash for over two years now and never had any problem with my moonroofs leaking until today. Upon on closer inspection of the seals around the sliding and fixed portion of the moonroof, the high pressure jets that rinse off the truck have torn the seal around the entire moonroof. The tear on the gasket matches up with the fixed jets on the arm that rinses off the soap. My wife uses the same car wash and there is no apparent damage on her moonroof. I'm guessing the additional height of the with the close clearance. Check your moonroof seals if you use this kind of car wash.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't believe it is the carwash that did it. The high pressure pumps only run about 275psi.. not enough to damage or tear seals.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 PM
docup!
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know mine also leaks from the same style car wash, I just have not inspected the seals...will be tomorrow though. I now have them hand wash...the jets are just too close only about 4!inches away

Old 04-23-2017, 09:44 PM
TrikeDawg
Tuned
The BluWave Profiler High Pressure car wash rinse uses 750psi.
BluWave Linear Profiler High-Pressure Car Wash Rinse | MacNeil

The car wash owner said he would cover the repairs.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Being that low to the vehicle I think that would damage any moonroof at that pressure.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you google "F150 sunroof leaks", (it has the same cab and has been out since 2015) you'll see that this is a common issue with our trucks. My son has a newer 2016 F150 that has a major leak. It goes back into the dealership again next week for the problem. The dealership told him that a certain amount of water leaking is quote "Normal" for these trucks. With the spring heat arriving he's concerned about mold starting.
I think that if Ford is going to claim that leaking is normal for the sunroof, then they should properly rename it to a "Rainroof". He stopped by yesterday and showed me his truck. The console was soaked after just a 1/4" of rain. When the summer heat gets here he's going to have a $50,000 terrarium on his hands. I told him to go buy some plants and put in it.
Ford just did a buy back on his friend's 2016 F150 last summer after black mold started growing in it. This problem needs to be addressed.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I will ONLY hand wash my truck. I actually hand washed and clay barred this weekend. I have had my truck since late October and haven't had one leak on my moonroof, especially with all the rain and snow we have had since I purchased the truck.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Shreve T
Mountain Pass
I live here in the South (Louisiana) where it rains crazy !! I have not had 1 leak in my truck since buying it in Dec.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:49 AM
KCrosby
New User
Has anyone had any luck with getting warranty work/or a bonafide fix for this leaking moonroof???? First attempt to fix, they said they had to clear out water channels (towards windshield) bc they were clogged, the next service visit they replaced the seals, and then they finally replaced the glass.. All the while, my moonroof still leaks into the tracks. Dealer/Ford would not replace the retractable headliner or fixed headliner due to stains. They attempted to clean 4 separate times, and kept pushing the stain around to different locations. Ford's response is the leaking moonroof is it is normal and known, yet they will no longer accept it as a defect - or perform warranty work (truck is now past warranty - work started while covered under warranty). Water came through my driver side pillar handle (through bottom bolt), water has stained headliner in rear passenger (and rear half of retractable headliner), and water still pours in like a faucet on passenger side (where glass meets in middle) when rains.

Final time I went into the dealer, sure enough another gentleman was in for the same issue... Class action?????? This is a defect that Ford acknowledges, yet will not correct. How does that make any sense???

Tried to attach video/screenshots of mine, but wouldn't upload... Let me know if you have any suggestions! I have videos of water coming in through moonroof spanning over 2 years - even after multiple attempts to correct with this truck.

-Crosby

Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 AM
KCrosby
New User
I would love to know what your son's resolve was! Ford will no longer work on my moonroof as warranty work, and I am left with stained headliners and a still leaking moonroof.....

Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 PM
4x4xford
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I refused to purchase a truck with a sunroof after repeated leak issues. I don't know why they are so prevalent - I never used mine on my last truck.