Airlift Airbag compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlift Airbag compressor

Hi all,

I just installed an airlift brand compressor to pump up the airbags on my 2005 V10 Excursion Limited. I installed it in the little cubby hole that the jack is installed in. I still have to connect the power supply. I thought of tapping into the cigar lighter style power supply already back there but it has power all the time. Any ideas of a good power source to tap into? I can run the wires to the fuse panel but not sure which one to tap and which side is the power source side of the fuse. Thanks for any help!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
How many amps does your compressor draw ?

If the amp draw is compatible with the wire supplying the power port then use it for power and all you need is a basic relay wiring harness and switch to acuate the compressor when you want it to run.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:29 PM
txjeep
New User
I put my compressor in the same place. I used the power point as well, but installed a switch at that location so I can power it off. The switch I used is a push button that lights blue when it's on. Works great.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
How many amps does your compressor draw ?

If the amp draw is compatible with the wire supplying the power port then use it for power and all you need is a basic relay wiring harness and switch to acuate the compressor when you want it to run.
It comes with a 15 amp fuse.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Originally Posted by txjeep
I put my compressor in the same place. I used the power point as well, but installed a switch at that location so I can power it off. The switch I used is a push button that lights blue when it's on. Works great.
If I do this and forget to turn the switch off, will the air pressure monitoring system drain my battery when the truck is not running? I know that the compressor would if it sensed the need for air and turned on.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Country Traveler
If I do this and forget to turn the switch off, will the air pressure monitoring system drain my battery when the truck is not running? I know that the compressor would if it sensed the need for air and turned on.
Need more info...did you install just the air bags and compressor, or did you install a manifold or pressure sensor?

If you did the Wireless One, the manifold controls when the compressor kicks on...power that AND the compressor all the time, it can fill up even when the key is off.

If you just did a compressor that has the pump on switch and a gauge, then you'd have to press the button manually to kick on the compressor...so you SHOULD be OK.

Best option is always to install a power cutoff switch...you never know when something could short out or have an issue.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Thanks for the info. Yes it is the wireless one. I like the idea of killing the power. Technically, I only need it when towing my camper so disabling it when it is not needed is a good thing. I only worry about forgetting to kill the power to it when I shut the truck off say over night. I know that if the compressor runs it will drain my battery when the ignition is off.

Does anyone know if the pressure monitor draws a lot of power? I really appreciate any help on this. Thank you.