2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

And yet another leaking shock absorber

Old 04-23-2017, 03:58 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts
And yet another leaking shock absorber

I only have 4800 miles on it and both of my rear shocks are leaking, enough where it has left spots on the driveway. Its not the FX4, just plain hydraulic dampers. I know others have dealt with this also, just adding myself to the list.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Good excuse to upgrade Jim. I went with Fox 2.0's. Just waiting for the replacement bushing and sleeves to come so I can mount them up. UPS says Thursday so I should be able to get them in next weekend...

Old 04-23-2017, 05:22 PM
tomfordgt
Tuned
Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Good excuse to upgrade Jim. I went with Fox 2.0's. Just waiting for the replacement bushing and sleeves to come so I can mount them up. UPS says Thursday so I should be able to get them in next weekend...
I bought the Fox 2.0's three weeks ago before my truck was delivered and they came sleeves from the Fox. I did call the vendor and asked for them. I don't know if they normally ship with the shocks.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:59 PM
System
Prolocutor
Tom, Fox doesn't have a shock for the 2017's yet. The rear lower bushing and sleeve is different from the previous generation due to the hardware size on the 17's. So, in order for the current Fox 2.0 to fit a 2017, you need to press out the bushing and sleeve and install the new ones that fit the 17's. The part numbers are:

Bushing- 2 each
014-11-002-A

Sleeve- 2 each
213-28-007-B

Old 04-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm gonna go with the Fox shocks myself when I change them out,great choice.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:11 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
I probably will, it just sucks that I didn't get a year or even tow with the originals. I blame the failure from the obnoxious 80 psi for the rear tires. It will be interesting to see what the dealer will tell me.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
I probably will, it just sucks that I didn't get a year or even tow with the originals. I blame the failure from the obnoxious 80 psi for the rear tires. It will be interesting to see what the dealer will tell me.
I doubt that 80 psi caused the shock to fail. More likely just bad shocks. I had one fail soon after I hooked up my fifth wheel for the first time. Same as what you describe, oil all down the outside of the tube. When I told the dealer they suggested it was just "normal seepage" before I could finish my sentence. Just another reason why I stay so far away from dealer service departments like the plague. Here's a picture of what normal seepage looks like, just for reference.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 PM
BIG_TUNA
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a leaking rear shock on my 2012 Expedition EL too and it had less then 35000 miles. It left a stain in the drive way and I was thinking it was leaking fuel until I got underneath and looked at it. I wonder who makes these shocks for Ford because they don't last very long.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:23 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Supposedly Tenneco, the same company that makes Monroe, Rancho's and who knows how many more.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I doubt that 80 psi caused the shock to fail. More likely just bad shocks. I had one fail soon after I hooked up my fifth wheel for the first time. Same as what you describe, oil all down the outside of the tube. When I told the dealer they suggested it was just "normal seepage" before I could finish my sentence. Just another reason why I stay so far away from dealer service departments like the plague. Here's a picture of what normal seepage looks like, just for reference.

At 80 psi, this truck rides like its on solid struts, too stiff with no load so the shocks are not rebounding or moving at all, just being pounded. I've lowered my tires to 55 psi to lessen the jolt.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:14 AM
System
Prolocutor
Jim, Epic is running his tires at the same pressure as you. It's not the pressure that killed your shocks. It's the cheap/poor design.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 AM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim, Epic is running his tires at the same pressure as you. It's not the pressure that killed your shocks. It's the cheap/poor design.
What he said I read these shocks cost 8.00 a piece so they are crap. The FX4 are mostly the same just painted white with stickers on them. Come on Ford these are 80k trucks!

I have had luck with my dealer replacing them when under 12k miles but after that you are on your own. I would let ford replace them and I have had luck with my dealer letting me provide the shocks and they charge the labor back to Ford. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 AM
System
Prolocutor
Why let the dealer replace the junk with more junk shocks? How much is your time worth? You'll be back there every 6 months to a year... I suppose that's doable to prove something on principle but no way I'd waste my time like that. Do it yourself, put a quality unit in, and be done with it. Plus, many of the shocks out there are blown without showing the hydraulic fluid leaking. Remember these are gas over hydraulic and the gas side blows first with no tell tale evidence. When I replaced them on my last truck, three of four were shot. However, only one was starting to leak hydro fluid. The other two just failed to rebound. This was with 900 miles on them. Imagine how many out there are blown on the gas side and the owners have no idea...

Old 04-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Rob_17
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I swapped the FX4 shocks on my 2017 CCSB about 2k miles ago due to stock shock failure. I went with the Fox 2.0 as well, swapped the bushings and sleeves on the rear lower shock mounts, took all of 5 minuted to get the old sleeve and bushing out using a bench vise, couple sockets and a razor knife for the old bushing. the new bushings went in easily with some lithium grease, and pressed the sleeve into the new bushing with the bench vise again. The original FX4 shocks leave a lot to be desired for, before they even fail. The truck now rides better than when i first drove it off the lot. Very smooth ride, and with towing my 5th wheel almost 14k loaded, it still rides great. I did add load lifter 5000's for the added weight, i just add enough pressure to where the rear is close to stock height, maybe a little lower.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:00 PM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I wish Rancho sold the bushing and sleeve. I have the ones I took off my 2011, but can only use the front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And yet another leaking shock absorber