Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

SYNC 3 2.2 Update Finally released by Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggums
So there was no need to download two ZIP files and do the procedure twice?

Did your thumb drive have an XML file?
Download once to computer.

Download and unzip to flash drive.

Started truck, plugged in flash drive to USB port,

Download automatically started.

At end of download I got a screen that stated the update would complete at the next start up.

Turned everything off and closed and locked doors.

Started truck and 2.2 was installed.

It did take about 5 minutes for nav to come online.

Yes, I did get the xml file on my thumb drive but can't get it to update on the website.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM
10lrrp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer update

Can this be done by the dealer?
What are the new features?

Last edited by 10lrrp; 04-24-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Coming from the computer industry, "major" releases are indicated to the left of the decimal (1.x versus 2.x), and "minor" releases are to the right of the decimal. Some organizations break it down further with more decimals.

So I would interpret going from 1.x to 2.x as a major release that includes new features.

I would further interpret going from 2.1 to 2.2 as a minor release that contains mostly bug fixes.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
This update adds android carplay and fixed no traffic data from sirus. Those are the two major things.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 10lrrp
Can this be done by the dealer?
What are the new features?
What's included in this update?
HN1T-14G381-SA SYNC3 v2.2
This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience.

This software contains the following enhancements:

Updated voice recognition engine.
Navigation user interface improvements (if equipped).
Android Auto™ for supported devices.
Apple CarPlay™ for supported devices. Owners of 2016 models with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software update and purchase a hardware upgrade through your dealer.
The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait until Installation Complete is displayed on the center screen before removing your drive or turning your vehicle off.

Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle

Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If someone figures it out using an iOS device, please post about the folder structure required on the USB. I tried it straight from the 1) Unzipped file, 2) per the pictures on the Sync webpage, 3) per the instructions on the webpage (that are different from the pictures) and then a few other attempts and what looked reasonable.

I got a few different error messages from Sync, but nothing worked.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Leadsled124
New User
Originally Posted by onug
If someone figures it out using an iOS device, please post about the folder structure required on the USB. I tried it straight from the 1) Unzipped file, 2) per the pictures on the Sync webpage, 3) per the instructions on the webpage (that are different from the pictures) and then a few other attempts and what looked reasonable.

I got a few different error messages from Sync, but nothing worked.
Is it all the same file everyone is downloading? couldn't someone that downloaded it already just dropbox it to you? Then you can drag directly to USB. Or am i missing something here

Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Fmc4lfe
Senior User
Ford needs to drop stync, go u connect

Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leadsled124
Is it all the same file everyone is downloading? couldn't someone that downloaded it already just dropbox it to you? Then you can drag directly to USB. Or am i missing something here
Good question. I have to log into the website to get to the download page, so in theory it could be a file specific to my configuration. But from what I've seen, the only differences are Nav and No Nav...so that's just two files.

I think the problem arises from different computer OS' using different unzip software and the normal compatibility issues between iOS and Win devices. But these issues are not new this decade, so there's no excuse for them.

Stync needs to accept the native zipped file downloaded directly from the website for two main reasons. First, to eliminate compatibility issues like this. Second, to include and preserve a digital certificate that validates the file and ensures it hasn't been corrupted. It does neither...

Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Well guys,

I`m also in the same boat with having troubles with this using an iMac.

I`ve been screwing around with this for the past 5 hours and still no luck.

I thought I had it on one attempt, went out to my truck and my screen said system failed and storage is full. Now this USB stick won`t even let me change the Format.

This is so frustrating.

I wish someone would just sell the USB with everything already loaded.

I guess i`ll just buy another USB tomorrow and try again.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM
wharrell
Tuned

So why does when I go to the Ford Sync Site it responds with:

Your SYNC is up-to-date!
Now, you're running the fastest, simplest and best version of SYNC

I have Sync 3 2.0 that was installed by the factory on 12/19/16 when my truck was built on a F350 KR

How is everyone else getting the upgrade?

My USB Music source using Iphones, Ipads and IPOD Touch has never worked more than a few minutes before dropping out and reverting to FM. This never happened on a previous year model 2015 F350 with Sync 2.

It appears Ford is way behind the curve with technology, testing and the delivery of updates.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Leadsled124
New User
Originally Posted by onug
Good question. I have to log into the website to get to the download page, so in theory it could be a file specific to my configuration. But from what I've seen, the only differences are Nav and No Nav...so that's just two files.

I think the problem arises from different computer OS' using different unzip software and the normal compatibility issues between iOS and Win devices. But these issues are not new this decade, so there's no excuse for them.

Stync needs to accept the native zipped file downloaded directly from the website for two main reasons. First, to eliminate compatibility issues like this. Second, to include and preserve a digital certificate that validates the file and ensures it hasn't been corrupted. It does neither...

I just googled it and it took mee to the super usually unhelpful Ford Sync FAQ page. I logged into sync and it had the link for my file. Mine is For Nav.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Well guys,

After trying 4 more times today from 9:30 AM until 12PM which also included talking to a rep on the phone in the SYNC department, no success at all. The rep walked me through the entire process and when it came time to load the USB in my truck, the same message came up on the screen....System Failed and Storage is Full.

She also had me to do specific system resets which included pressing specific buttons on the dash at the same time as well as a reset which included opening the door and locking it while it`s still open and waiting for a specific amount of time then close it.

None of this helped and she was just as confused as I am as to why none of this worked.

She took my info, gave me a case# and escalated it to the techs and she said they will contact me in 7-10 days and if I don`t hear from them for me to give them a call.

I`m using an iMac and I tried the update using Safari as my browser and I also have Chrome on my iMac and that also didn`t work.

She did tell me that this might work better using Internet Explorer and believe or not, she said they`re still using it. I will never down load that crap on my Mac.

One more thing, she said that this update can be done OTA but it might take 2-4 weeks for it to happen so for those of us who are having problems with this USB crap, keep the automatic updates on and make sure you have a strong and constant Wi-Fi signal at home because she said that`s the key to the OTA update.

I`m going to try one more thing but it`ll have to wait until tomorrow. I`ll go to the library and try this USB download again. They still use Internet Explorer so maybe i`ll luck out. I`ll let you guys know.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to let you guys know what i`ve experienced.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I read somewhere you could drive close to your house and connect the truck to your WIFI and get the updates that way...or was I dreaming?

Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wharrell
So why does when I go to the Ford Sync Site it responds with:

Your SYNC is up-to-date!
Now, you're running the fastest, simplest and best version of SYNC

I have Sync 3 2.0 that was installed by the factory on 12/19/16 when my truck was built on a F350 KR

How is everyone else getting the upgrade?

My USB Music source using Iphones, Ipads and IPOD Touch has never worked more than a few minutes before dropping out and reverting to FM. This never happened on a previous year model 2015 F350 with Sync 2.

It appears Ford is way behind the curve with technology, testing and the delivery of updates.

Very interesting. I get the EXACT same message and my truck was also built on 12/19/16.
Maybe I'll wait a few weeks and let everyone else be the beta testers.

Quick Reply: SYNC 3 2.2 Update Finally released by Ford