Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake hose - oem again or upgrade to SS braided?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
jpcjguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake hose - oem again or upgrade to SS braided?

Hey all thinking of redoing brakes all around and thinking I might as well update the brake hoses - since they are from 02.
Do you all upgrade to SS braided lines or just go with OEM rubber again. The OEM have lasted this long so that is what I am leaning but thought I would ask.
Oh - this is an on road only vehicle - so no worries about snagging a line....

Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM. Honestly, I don't think you'll notice a difference between NEW OEMs and SS lines, provided you do a complete fluid flush. For more sportier applications with more severe braking conditions, it would be a good upgrade but for something like the Excursion, I feel it is a waste of money.

New rubber lines, fresh quality fluid, full proper bleed and you'll be good to go. A complete brake fluid flush on my Ex made a HUGE difference a few years ago. Now I do the fluid ever other year to keep it fresh. I think brake fluid is one of the most overlooked maintenance items, yet it is really easy to do.

GL.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I have read SO many post that say it's by far the best thing ever (SS) but I noticed no difference. I have full front and rear (including the 3rd line in the back) setup. There is one thing though... I'm like 99% sure my MC is junk. Once I get that swapped who knows how well the truck will brake.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:12 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
You will not, I will go as far as "can not" tell a difference with Braided lines with the Ex braking system.

The boosted master cylinder, long life brake pads and mostly the cushinioned soles of your shoes all negate the very minuscule expansion difference between braided and OEM lines.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 PM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
Originally Posted by Romanova
I think brake fluid is one of the most overlooked maintenance items, yet it is really easy to do.
Agree.

And also agree that SS lines are great for sporty applications (sports cars and whatnot) but most street driven vehicles are fine with good condition rubber lines.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:18 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I noticed a slight difference in pedal feel when I put my stainless lines on, but they were replacing the original lines. It would be interesting to see stopping distance vs. pedal pressure applied with different lines. Maybe we can get Mythbusters to do this.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM
jpcjguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by andym
I noticed a slight difference in pedal feel when I put my stainless lines on, but they were replacing the original lines. It would be interesting to see stopping distance vs. pedal pressure applied with different lines. Maybe we can get Mythbusters to do this.
That is what I think is the key - I think any new brake line will be an improvement over original - since the newest is 12 years old right now.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Are braided lines D.O.T approved? I thought they didn't like braided lines on account there have been some failures associated with sand and crap getting in between the braid and hose at the junction. Check the label carefully.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Don't need myth busters you can do some basic math and see for yourself.

OEM uses "HR" or regular expansion hose,
PTFE core braided line is "HL" or low expansion hose

This chart shows the difference in expansion for 3/16 brake hose at 1000 psi

Now figure out the length of the Excursion brake hose, x the 3/16 inner diameter to get the total volume.

Once you know the volume you can figure the difference.

Figure the volume of the 1.375 master cylinder bore.

Last but not least, iifc the Ex has a 6:1 brake lever

Solve for how much pedal stroke would be required to make up the difference in expansion.

( been a few years since I did the cals but it was less then the amount your shoe sole compresses when you walk and why race driver shoes are hard sole )

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2017, 03:17 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing that.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:36 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing that.
My first step is wrong, all you need is the total length of brake hose in the Ex, I would guess 2 1/2 feet.

That chart shows the volume difference in CC/FT

So 2.5 feet x .22 cc = .54 cc or about 5 drips

Old 04-21-2017, 03:54 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Are braided lines D.O.T approved? I thought they didn't like braided lines on account there have been some failures associated with sand and crap getting in between the braid and hose at the junction. Check the label carefully.
No parts are "DOT approved" because the DOT does not approve parts. The DOT sets standards and testing procedure that manufacture must meet. Yes you can buy HL or low expansion nylon brake lines that are " DOT compliant" to FMVSS106

https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Vehi.../TP-106-10.pdf

Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Well OK, point being there are steel braided hoses that aren't compliant, and have failed because of the braid. Those aren't recommended then, correct?

Old 04-22-2017, 12:40 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I will say that after install my 1/4 mile times dropped a full second! Was probably the weight reduction. Pretty sure the SS lines gave me an extra 100hp AT THE WHEELS!!!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 AM
jpcjguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I will say that after install my 1/4 mile times dropped a full second! Was probably the weight reduction. Pretty sure the SS lines gave me an extra 100hp AT THE WHEELS!!!
Sweet! Braided it is!! between them and fuzzy dice I should get easy 130hp at wheels AND a bump of at least 5mpg!

Quick Reply: brake hose - oem again or upgrade to SS braided?