2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

Question of the Week What engines do you want to see in the new Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Link to the standards is below, if you can make any sense of them The standards are really complex, phase in from 2017 to 2025, and include fleet-wide standards. As you may know, Chrysler's light duty (under 8500 lb GVW) Ecodiesel engines (Grand Cherokee and RAM 1500) have been suspected of using test-beating software like VW (less blatant) and is under investigation in the US and in France. Basically, the writing on the wall really seems to favor high output, small displacement turbo gas engines.

https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t3.php
It'd make sense if they had it in a Tier 3 Diesel emission standards for Dummies language. So basically it's just more strict on NOx levels, Particulate matter and overall fleet numbers as well. Makes sense just wish they said what some of the things were and an explanation of what each is.

VW really screwed the pooch with their scandal and FCA isn't helping us any.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Deez-67
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've owned and love broncos!! There is only two things I want and that's a V8 and removable top.

I just don't want that rice v6 sound in a 4x4.

V8 option or no sale for me anyways.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
The SUV based off the F150 is called an Expedition and even in that there is no V8. It would be interesting if Ford offered a "Raptorized" Expedition but unlikely....

The new Bronco will be built alongside the Ranger so it's likely to share suspensions, engines, and probably the front end structure back thru the front seats.

Would be cool to see the 2.7 Ecoboost in the new Bronco if they keep the weight low (and they may not). Diesels would be cool but I don't think they are going to be cost effective to meet US emissions rules. The 2.3 Ecoboost four would even be adequate if the new Bronco can be a small and light 2-door.
No, the expedition is NOT based of the F150

Old 04-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Proatvracer5691
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything diesel

Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
No, the expedition is NOT based of the F150
From the Wikipedia piece on the Expy:

"The Ford Expedition is a full-size SUV produced by the American automaker Ford Motor Company. Introduced for the 1997 model year as the successor of the Ford Bronco, the Expedition is the first full-size Ford SUV sold with a four-door body. For its entire production life, the Ford Expedition has been derived from the corresponding generation of the Ford F-150 in production, sharing body and mechanical components."

From 1978-1996, the Bronco was based on the F150, just as the big Blazer/Suburban were based on the Chevy 1500 pickup and the Ramcharger was based on the Dodge 150 pickup. The current Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban are based on Chevy pickups. And the Excursion was based on the F250.

Not rocket science, just facts that make for production and certification efficiency. Yes, the Expy has IRS, but a great many parts are shared with the F150. The '78 Bronco was just a sawed-off pickup truck sharing many more parts with the pickups.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:31 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
From the Wikipedia piece on the Expy:

"The Ford Expedition is a full-size SUV produced by the American automaker Ford Motor Company. Introduced for the 1997 model year as the successor of the Ford Bronco, the Expedition is the first full-size Ford SUV sold with a four-door body. For its entire production life, the Ford Expedition has been derived from the corresponding generation of the Ford F-150 in production, sharing body and mechanical components."

From 1978-1996, the Bronco was based on the F150, just as the big Blazer/Suburban were based on the Chevy 1500 pickup and the Ramcharger was based on the Dodge 150 pickup. The current Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban are based on Chevy pickups. And the Excursion was based on the F250.

Not rocket science, just facts that make for production and certification efficiency. Yes, the Expy has IRS, but a great many parts are shared with the F150. The '78 Bronco was just a sawed-off pickup truck sharing many more parts with the pickups.
Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. The expedition had Not based off the expedition in quite some time

Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. The expedition had Not based off the expedition in quite some time
I respectfully suggest that you read up on historic Ford platform engineering through whatever sources you do trust. The Expy certainly differs from the F150 (and parts of the 2017 date back to the 1997 Expy and F150) but the new 2018 Expy will absolutely be based directly off the current F150 platform.

Ford is aiming to reduce their worldwide platforms down to 9 from the current 14. They are not going to develop unique large vehicles with limited sales; fuel economy regs and/or another fuel price spike could kill that market. The new Bronco will be based on the new Ranger platform.

Back to the engine issue--I sincerely hope that EcoBoosts prove to have the ability to go 200k or more miles without needing expensive turbo replacements or other work...only time will tell on that. Ford is banking heavily on the EB technology and I am still a bit skeptical that they'll last like the 4.6/5.4 2V engines... If I wait to buy a new Bronco, it will most certainly have some sort of EB in it.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The Expedition most certainly shares many components with the F-150, it's the only way to keep production costs down and repair parts available. It makes perfect sense.

It's also very smart that the Bronco and Ranger will share many components as well.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
If rumors are true and the next Bronco is the Ford Everest, then it'll probably have the 3.3 V6, an EcoBoost and possibly a diesel. However looking at pictures of the Everest, it's pretty much an Explorer, so what would be the point of Ford having another Explorer size SUV in the line up, unless the Explorer is being discontinued? Unless it's being radically changed to be like a Wrangled (doubting very much now), then you might as well buy an Explorer and equip it off road rather than buying the Bronco.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
The Explorer is a transverse engined unit body crossover based on the Taurus... The Everest is almost identical to the old body-on-frame Explorer (which is more the size of the Edge) and would have more offroad capability and be based on a tougher RWD platform.

The Wrangler overlaps the Cherokee in size but the Wrangler is an off roader and the Cherokee is a transverse engine car based crossover. Pretty different vehicles, and the Wrangler is more of a cash cow.

I question why Ford has the Explorer and the Flex also, but they do--almost identical footprint but the Flex is lower and more minivan-like.

People buy lots of SUV's and Ford is just carving up the market into further niches. I'm guessing the Bronco will have more of an off-road SUV "costume" than the Everest also. I'm guessing if there is an odd man out in the lineup, it'll be the Flex.

George

Old 04-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Since the expedition is based off the f150 what parts do they share other than the engine/trans?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Since the expedition is based off the f150 what parts do they share other than the engine/trans?
This is a thread about new Bronco engines, my friend. I would guess from 1978-96, everything from the front seat forward was shared, including the doors. 1997-2003 probably dashboard forward. In 2004 the F150 veered away into different styling, leaving the Expy with the same basic body parts as the 2003 version--parts that were already developed and shared with the older F150--but I'm guessing that a lot of electrical, cooling, brake, and suspension parts continued to be shared, along with wheel format and stuff like airbags and crumple zone parts.

The 2018 Expy redesign will move to the 2015+ aluminum bodied F150 platform and understructure even if the outer body panels are different (kind of like Ford/Mercury/Lincoln body diffs on the same platform). Main diff will be the IRS which is unique to the Expy but the frame from the center forward will likely be the same as the F150, just like it was in 1978, 1980 redesign, 1986 redesign, 1992 redesign, and the 1997 "aero" redesign. I think the Bronco was partially "frozen" into the 1997 F150 redesign thru 2017--the doors, etc are the same.

Go look at pics of the F150 and the Bronco from each of those generations and tell me they are not the same truck except for the short wheelbase and body on the Expy. So look for common suspension, engine, HVAC, crash zone parts, etc. in 2018 as well.

Back to Bronco engines. I'm interested in a smaller, Ranger-based Bronco myself.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:50 AM
JKBrad
Received 800 Likes on 585 Posts
I would want a 2.7 EcoBoost in an aluminum bodied 2 door version. I doubt there will be a V8 in the Bronco or Ranger. Chevy was doing a V8 in the Colorado for awhile and it didn't sell well. Ford put a 4.6 in Explorers, same. Toyota put a V8 in 4 runners, same same. Even Land Rover has taken the V8 out of the LR4. I'm afraid V8s are not going to be seen in mid size and down vehicles much longer. The only ones left are the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Dodge Durango.

I'd really like to see an F150 based Bronco, but I'll at least give the smaller one a look. I already have an F150, so a smaller run around truck would be nice.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:58 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
This is a thread about new Bronco engines, my friend. I would guess from 1978-96, everything from the front seat forward was shared, including the doors. 1997-2003 probably dashboard forward. In 2004 the F150 veered away into different styling, leaving the Expy with the same basic body parts as the 2003 version--parts that were already developed and shared with the older F150--but I'm guessing that a lot of electrical, cooling, brake, and suspension parts continued to be shared, along with wheel format and stuff like airbags and crumple zone parts.

The 2018 Expy redesign will move to the 2015+ aluminum bodied F150 platform and understructure even if the outer body panels are different (kind of like Ford/Mercury/Lincoln body diffs on the same platform). Main diff will be the IRS which is unique to the Expy but the frame from the center forward will likely be the same as the F150, just like it was in 1978, 1980 redesign, 1986 redesign, 1992 redesign, and the 1997 "aero" redesign. I think the Bronco was partially "frozen" into the 1997 F150 redesign thru 2017--the doors, etc are the same.

Go look at pics of the F150 and the Bronco from each of those generations and tell me they are not the same truck except for the short wheelbase and body on the Expy. So look for common suspension, engine, HVAC, crash zone parts, etc. in 2018 as well.

Back to Bronco engines. I'm interested in a smaller, Ranger-based Bronco myself.
That is funny i said 2015 F150, NOT anything prior

Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
That is funny i said 2015 F150, NOT anything prior
A shared platform does not mean simultaneous...look how long the 2V 5.4 was used in the E vans (2016) despite its discontinuance in the F150 in 2004. You seem more anxious to win some kind of clueless strawman argument than share information here.

I did space out and short-circuit the Bronco and Expy....but the old Bronco basically became the Expy in 1997, as a 4 door. Like the Bronco II became the Explorer in 1991.

The 2018 Expy WILL be based on the aluminum 2015 F150 and the new Bronco will be based on the new Ranger pickup. Done.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week What engines do you want to see in the new Bronco?