1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Intermittent Rough, need troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Rob_Diesel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm in the middle of changing out my glow plugs and wire harnneses, I went to exposed some of the wire so I can splice the new harness in and I'm seeing this cable wrapped around these three wires. Is this necessary? What is this? I can only imagine that it is for "noise" reduction. Some info would be great, also what is this tin foil stuff?

thanks,
Rob

Old 04-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes it's for noise reduction when the injectors fire. At the very ends where your connecting the new wires don't worry about the wire. I just wrapped what was left on the new pigtail and taped it up.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Rob_Diesel
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hussler
Yes it's for noise reduction when the injectors fire. At the very ends where your connecting the new wires don't worry about the wire. I just wrapped what was left on the new pigtail and taped it up.
okay thanks.

can I run the engine with valve covers off? I don't want to put everything back together until I know it's running good.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:29 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 873 Likes on 664 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_Diesel
okay thanks.

can I run the engine with valve covers off? I don't want to put everything back together until I know it's running good.

Yes can run to about 1k rpm. Higher makes a oily mess.

Then remove one injector at a time to see if one is misfiring

Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Rob_Diesel
Junior User
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Yes can run to about 1k rpm. Higher makes a oily mess.

Then remove one injector at a time to see if one is misfiring
thank you!
​​​​​
Runs beautiful. Fired up quick.....I disconnected each injector and each one mis fired.

What can I do to make sure my glow plugs are turning off after engine is started so I don't have to do this again in a while?

another problem I have is excessive smoke, and it gets into the cab, give me headaches....when I started it and when it ran it was smoking pretty good.....not pushing out smoke like a train or chimney, enough I had to hold my breath to pull the injectors.....is this normal? What should I do?

what is this relay?

​​​​​
Picture of it running......cant really see the smoke in the photo.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That relay is the GPR (glow plug relay). It looks awful small for the amount of current that goes through it. Does it have two small terminals on it, or does it have a moldex plug on it?

Red

Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,187 Likes on 816 Posts
Look at your up pipe they must be leaking pretty bad allowing the fumes to enter the cab, either replace with new OEM up pipes and doughnuts or get the International bellow up pipes the Riffraff sells.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 PM
Rob_Diesel
Junior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Look at your up pipe they must be leaking pretty bad allowing the fumes to enter the cab, either replace with new OEM up pipes and doughnuts or get the International bellow up pipes the Riffraff sells.
thanks freaky!

Yea I need to get on this exhaust leak.....gotta help me with some links here not caught up on all this, what section of the exhaust are you talking about? What's international bellow up pipes? Thanks.

btw, as for my progress.... put the covers and intake back together, went to start it and, it turned over a litthe and prematurely let go (greasy fingers), trif starting it again and it's just "zinging" not engaging....so putting a new starter in tomorrow.....gets me thinking......hope I didn't do something wrong

rob

Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Remove starter and check for missing teeth on flywheel before touching the new starter.

Up pipes can be a bit expensive. So do it right once.

If you meant smoking a lot with covers off then that's normal. The blow by isn't being burnt off.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Rob_Diesel
Junior User
Remove starter and check for missing teeth on flywheel before touching the new starter.

If you meant smoking a lot with covers off then that's normal. The blow by isn't being burnt off.
knotty, thanks....Im about to go work on it next hour or so, I'm afraid I might see missing teeth on the fly wheel.

if I do, what should I do? Change it? Yikes....

​​​btw, yes smoking a lot with covers off....but I am having a problem with fumes/exhaust getting into the cab...

Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rob_Diesel
knotty, thanks....Im about to go work on it next hour or so, I'm afraid I might see missing teeth on the fly wheel.

if I do, what should I do? Change it? Yikes....

​​​btw, yes smoking a lot with covers off....but I am having a problem with fumes/exhaust getting into the cab...
Carry a big wrench and move fly wheel before starting and once sick of it, then buy a new fly wheel. It not that hard to do if you have the tranny jack.

Cab fumes need to be deals with. Find the leak first

Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Rob_Diesel
Junior User
Carry a big wrench and move fly wheel before starting and once sick of it, then buy a new fly wheel. It not that hard to do if you have the tranny jack.

Cab fumes need to be deals with. Find the leak first
okay kool, how do I move the fly wheel? Crankshaft pulley?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
grab a 1/2 breaker bar, and a big socket for the front pulley, I forget the size off hand

It takes a bit to turn it

Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I hope you soldered the wires and didn't use butt connectors.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Rob_Diesel
Junior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I hope you soldered the wires and didn't use butt connectors.
Do I didn't solder them, I used high quality butt connectors thou.....didn't know I had to solder them. I could test it with a mega-ohmeter to get my true resistance if I need.

Teeth were fine, new starter installed and works. Still no idea where the exhaust is coming from....driving me nuts...with it idling I tried feeling around for any air....maybe it's the turbo...I'll look into that more.

As for an update here, I'll try not to sound confusing.....

Put the valve covers and intake back together and installed new starter.....

btw, Idk if I mentioned this has the TS Chip installed....

It was idling fine, starts up beautiful and quick! Then all of the sudden it starts running rough again, but this time very consistent...as I jump the RPM up to 1500 the roughness is going with it...so I shut it off...Disconnect the IDM connector and follow this:

Test 2&3 are good, test 1 was showing 0 ohms (continuity) between the injector power pins....for example pin 24-6,21,8,20 were 0, same with the other side of the bank....so I'm like

So I disconnect the connectors off the valve cover and double checked my wiring threw the IDM connector and it all checked out......it's not my wiring.

Next I reconnect the IDM connect back into the IDM & run the engine again.....ran it for like a minute or so....Pull the IDM connector back off and re-ohm'ed both banks and each injectors and guess what! Test 1 pass and everything was a consistent 2.9-3.1 ohms.....

So I know it's not my wiring...or the injectors......I'm starting to think it's the IDM now.... So I bought one online and it'll be here in a few days to try it out. If it doesn't fix it I'll just return it but simply box swapping it out for troubleshooting I think is worth the shot.

What do you think? What else to check? I'll post some photo's next thread they are on my phone.

Rob

Quick Reply: Intermittent Rough, need troubleshooting help