Introduction and question: HAVE I MADE A BIG MISTAKE? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Introduction and question: HAVE I MADE A BIG MISTAKE?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM
New User

1961 Barber Pole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Introduction and question: HAVE I MADE A BIG MISTAKE?

HAVE I MADE A BIG MISTAKE?
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum and I think it's great! I can see you fellas have a huge amount of experience that I can learn from. I'll do my best to contribute what I learn from my own experiences too.

I just bought (I'm actually waiting on it to deliver) a 1961 F250 4x4. This is my first vintage vehicle. I'm a novice on everything...mechanical, paint and body, etc., but I want to use this as a learning opportunity and also as a chance to own and drive something really cool.

Back in the early '70's, I drove a truck similar to this one as a delivery vehicle at the small town hardware store where I worked. That one was meticulously maintained by the owner and I look forward to doing the same for this one.

My initial question is, have I painted myself in a corner by buying this truck? In anticipation of its arrival, I have scoured forums like this one, online parts suppliers, etc. It looks like there were so few of these produced that there aren't very many new or used parts available for them. I'm assuming that some parts for other models (F100) or model years (1962-63 or maybe even later?) will fit, but certain things like body side molding won't, because the F100 was a unibody construction for that year, and the 4x4 was a traditional separate cab and bed. Do any of you have this truck, and if so, would you mind sharing your resources? Thank you!
P.S. As soon as it comes in I will post some photos of it...it's red and white two tone paint...that's why my user name is 1961 Barber Pole.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Elder User

'65Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think you've painted yourself into a corner unless you absolutely must have everything original. These trucks share lots of parts from year to year. Also, you may be inspired by some of the creativity here of guys swapping parts from totally different vehicles.

I read other forums where guys worry about our next generation not picking up our hobby and so all these classic vehicles will be left to rot, or regulations making our trucks/cars illegal, etc, etc. I used to think about those things too until I realized tomorrow is not a guarantee so I enjoy wrenching and driving my hobby truck to the best of my ability today. It's not like we started this hobby to make money...it's for fun.

Even if a tree falls on your "new" truck the moment it's delivered, you'll now have a donor truck for your next project.:-)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:35 PM
New User

Excellent thoughts '65 Ford! I appreciate the encouragement!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Freezer Geezer

RangerMercMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like how you arrived at your name. The box you likely have is from the 57-60 Ford and that box was also used on some models of 61-66 trucks. This is of course assuming you have the styleside instead of the Flareside box.

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:23 PM
New User

Yes, it is a styleside box. So they used the previous model's bed for the 4x4's during the unibody period? That will be good to know for fitment purposes. Thank you so much RangerMercMan!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:31 PM
New User

This is one of the photos that the seller provided to me. It looks pretty rough...it is currently registered as a farm use vehicle and I think that's definitely what they used it for. I'll have many years of fun learning how to restore this old girl!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Senior User

Muppy1840 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muppy1840 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to FTE forum. Lots of knowledgable people on here. I don't claim to be a expert but that looks to be a pretty nice truck. It definitely isn't a 57-60 box on there. If that's original paint it doesn't look too rusty. Will be nice to see some pictures of the interior. , Doug.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Posting Guru

WhatsAChevy? has a good reputation on FTE.WhatsAChevy? has a good reputation on FTE.WhatsAChevy? has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to FTE !

A mistake ? I think not ! You have come across the very best forum for everything Ford Truck ! There are many very cool folks here in all of the forums who are very generous with their knowledge. Nice looking truck and I'm sure that you won't be disappointed (maybe a little frustrated from time to time) with it. Hang in there !
Old 04-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Freezer Geezer

Your box is from 64 to 66 2 Wheel Dr. style side truck and also 66 F100 4 x 4 truck. It is also noted that your wheelbase does appear to be the shorter 120 inch wheelbase that the 4 x 4 trucks used. A 64-66 with that style of box the wheelbase went to 128.8 in Canada and I guess in the states it was 129 inches. Your front fenders do appear to be the larger radius wheel opening for the bigger tires. Pictures of inside the cab door would tell quite a bit too as to what style of cab is currently on that frame. I would also be curious as to what grill is on the truck and pictures from under the hood.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Moodus Man

ihcc104 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks to be a nice truck! Good luck with it, there are plenty of parts out there for them, and plenty of knowledge on this forum to help you with any roadblocks you come upon, good luck with the old girl! Never enough pics, we love em'
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 PM
New User

Fellas, you have made me feel a lot better about this already! I think once the reality sunk in that I was actually going to get this thing, I got a little wobbly kneed about it...as I said, I'm a novice. But you guys are already giving me great intel on this and I appreciate it!

Here are a couple more photos. I'll post more when it actually delivers, which is supposed to be over the weekend according to the transport company.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
This is as good a place as any, one thing to keep in mind, the hood latch and safety catch may not be properly lubed, adjusted and/or bent, misaligned etc after all these years. It's worth spending a little time making sure it works as advertised. A lot of folks here with these trucks over the years have had the hood fly up on them, swore up and down the hood was latched properly, but... Having the pop at highway speeds will get your attention. Pro-Tip: can't see **** if this happens. It often ruins the hood, cracks windshield, etc. Just a FYI.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Freezer Geezer

That is a 65 grill and upper valence (the piece with the turn signals). The hood emblem calls for a six cylinder but you have a 292 V8 (that emblem might be because of the 4x4). You have a custom cab interior with the original radio!! That aftermarket seat upholstery is sweet for sure! I say it is a sweet find/purchase. I described what I can see in the pictures as to what is stock and what is not. I enjoy it the way it is and it will be your fun as to how you fix her up.

Enjoy, RMM
Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Senior User

Highboy4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree that you haven't made a big mistake by any means. (You should have seen mine when I first bought it) These trucks make great projects and as you know are somewhat rare which keeps their value up. I have already owned 5 of these trucks and have enjoyed every one of them. My only question about your truck pertaining to its originality would be that the cab appears to be from a 64 due to the cab roof being higher and the location of the battery since they were originally installed under the passenger floorboard. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions about your project and we will all do our best to help you out. Lewis
Old 04-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Junior User

Amish65F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That bench seat is terrible. I'll buy it off you so you can get something nice. Welcome to the forums!