Anyone running a Camper Shell / Cap / Topper? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017 Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a Camper Shell / Cap / Topper?

Old 04-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Senior User

MagicMtnDan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone running a Camper Shell / Cap / Topper?

There are a number of options - I wonder what owners are using, if they're happy with the product and what they like best about it?

Here's a short video from a 2017 SD owner with an ARE Camper Shell. It has a nice feature - the window to the truck cab opens up so the windows (truck and shell) can be cleaned:

SnugTop has a number of product choices:
Ford Model Availability - Truck Caps and Tonneau Covers | SNUGTOP

I know they're not so popular as they get in the way for towing Fivers and Goosenecks.

Any feedback?
Old 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Elder User

LabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to behold
I have a 2015 F350 and have a Leer cab high canopy on it. I got it with the carpeted interior, roof rack rails, sliding/removable front window, sliding side windows, 2 LED lights, one at the front, one at the rear, pet screens and 3 12 volt plugs for dog crate fans. It is a great canopy and is one of the best things I did to keep things safe in the back of my truck.
No 5th wheel for me, so it works great.
Highly recommended.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Junior User

Airstream.csh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just ordered an ARE with windoors, fold down sliding front window, LED strip lights and a roof rack. Expect it to make the F250 the complete TV holding everything from generators to dogs as needed. The windoors are sliding side windows that can lift up as a solid unit to access the full bed interior from front to rear. We shall see if it's all that people claim it to be but after weeks of research, I pulled he trigger. In all honesty, I didn't like the look of 7yr old Leers but I had no complaint with the ARE. Completely unscientific. That said - if snugtop was on the east coast, I'd have purchased that hands down.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 PM
New User

INeomfd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan View Post
There are a number of options - I wonder what owners are using, if they're happy with the product and what they like best about it?

Here's a short video from a 2017 SD owner with an ARE Camper Shell. It has a nice feature - the window to the truck cab opens up so the windows (truck and shell) can be cleaned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evnNbxkOTuM

SnugTop has a number of product choices:
Ford Model Availability - Truck Caps and Tonneau Covers SNUGTOP

I know they're not so popular as they get in the way for towing Fivers and Goosenecks.

Any feedback?
I love the topper. Adds so much usable space. I like to put my dogs back there and still able to pull my travel trailer. Running a Leer on this truck. It's my second Leer, both have been really high quality.

Last edited by INeomfd; 04-17-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 04-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Senior User

maypo59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ARE.. we have the fold down and sliding front window.. like it. Going to add a roof rack soon. Have all the parts, just need time and dryness..

Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Postmaster

wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.
Leer shell, Front window also folds down to enable cleaning.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Senior User

Navydocsuperduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shes a dirty pig right now, sorry
Leer
Building a drawer system since Decked isn't going to make a long bed version and Truck Vault is mucho expensive!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Elder User

LabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to behold
I built a similar system that is just deep enough to elevate my dog boxes so I can get 3 side by side at the front of the truck bed. The dog boxes are secured together and ratchet strapped down. Works great to store tools and my shovel, Pulaski and dog tie out stakes fit on the side.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Senior User

MC_Greenmachine is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydocsuperduty View Post
Shes a dirty pig right now, sorry
Leer
Building a drawer system since Decked isn't going to make a long bed version and Truck Vault is mucho expensive!
Now I gotta ask this cause of your name. Did you name your truck the silver bullet?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_Greenmachine View Post
Now I gotta ask this cause of your name. Did you name your truck the silver bullet?
Bwahahahahahahaha , if it was actually silver I probably would have.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Senior User

MC_Greenmachine is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Bwahahahahahahaha , if it was actually silver I probably would have.
Very well, carry on
Old 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabCab View Post
I built a similar system that is just deep enough to elevate my dog boxes so I can get 3 side by side at the front of the truck bed. The dog boxes are secured together and ratchet strapped down. Works great to store tools and my shovel, Pulaski and dog tie out stakes fit on the side.
I can picture it. I'm still deciding how I want to do the drawers, Bearings and square stock
Lots $$$ in hardware
Lots....
Or sliders like these.Or just go sanded down wood on wood
Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 PM
New User

Bucsfan69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll get my snugtop rebel with sportsmans package put on Thursday .. with dual swingcases
Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM
New User

f250coug is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a Snugtop on order, should be here any day. I have a TT so the back of the truck is for dog boxes and fishing rods.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Senior User

MagicMtnDan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
I can picture it. I'm still deciding how I want to do the drawers
Or sliders like these.Or just go sanded down wood on wood
THIS (DIY custom drawers and outfitting the back of a Jeep/truck for camping, etc.) is one of my favorite subjects and this, is one of my all-time favorite threads - it's on ExpeditionPortal.com a great website for "Overlanding" camping, expedition-ing, etc.

Check this thread out - it's over 200 pages long filled with creativity and some great execution:
Post up your drawer/storage system - Expedition Portal

There are other threads on similar subjects there too: drawers, sleeping platforms, storage, etc., etc.:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...hlight=drawers

And here's a review of the Decked System in a Super Duty: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...hlight=drawers

Then there's all kinds of electrical threads many using one of my favorite suppliers: Blue Sea Systems - great stuff not just for boats! https://www.bluesea.com/
And you can build your own dual battery system. Speaking of which, I need to check out the thread I started about a dual battery in the Powerstroke or should I say, a third battery - a "house battery" (not the main battery).