2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anyone running a Camper Shell / Cap / Topper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM
pickerdd
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the pics on your SnugTop XtraVision. I will have mine installed next week. I've seen mention that you had issues with the shell. What happened?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:12 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pickerdd
Thanks for the pics on your SnugTop XtraVision. I will have mine installed next week. I've seen mention that you had issues with the shell. What happened?
This is my third Snugtop shell. The shell itself is great but the latching hardware and mechanisms are inferior to my last Snugtop, that I still have on my Dodge, from 12 years ago. The front (cab) fold up window will not shut without pushing down hard on the bottom of the shell or using a putty knife and the latch is so damn cheap hat it bends very easily. I had an extra LED light installed and it doesn't work now. The rear window seal is just a vinyl flap that does not keep dust out and the latch catches are substantially cheaper and the window framing channels are a thinner guage as well. For a top end shell that cost $4300 I expect higher quality materials. I'm sure Snugtop's savings on these cheaper material didn't add up to more than $40. On top of having to already make repairs I'm sure future repairs will be in order as well when these cheaper materials fail. The hardware on a shell are parts that are most prone to failure and being made even cheaper they will fail even sooner. It makes me wonder where else Snugtop cut corners that I can't see like using less fiberglass or less reinforements. If I know they started using inferior parts I would have looked at other manufacturers shells to see if they used sturdier hardware first. I'm kinda of used to seeing this though. Cutting costs in manufacture seems to be the way of American (and foreign) companies these days. I always try to buy the best because in my experience, you get what you pay for.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder how a topper would look on a dually? I'm thinking of ordering one for my new 450. I use it all the time in the fall when I'm hunting. Keeps your meat out of sight and all your equipment locked up.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've seen a truck like mine, F350 magnetic long bed dually though with same leer topper, looks amazing! I'm jealous, i'll see if I can get a pic of him driving around base.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:56 AM
adbscu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soft shell?

Anybody has one of these? Softopper

I'm planning on getting one has we have a GN trailer, but would still like the bed covered for travel and taking the dog around.

We have a Leer shell on our older truck and taking on/off was not bad, but storing in our garage was a PITA due to the size (especially since our garage is pretty small)

Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ricohman
I wonder how a topper would look on a dually? I'm thinking of ordering one for my new 450. I use it all the time in the fall when I'm hunting. Keeps your meat out of sight and all your equipment locked up.
Any truck looks cool with a topper and they are mandatory for hunting and other outdoor excursions.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:55 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti

Here is my Snugtop Xtravision with all of the upgrades available. I also have a brand new old fashioned "carpet kit". These kits are great and it's my fourth one. I'm not sure why they lost popularity but I hear they are making a comeback. I store everything I need for camping and off road recovery and it all stays organized. You can also reconfigure it to make a nice comfortable sleeper. I would never have a truck without one of these kits.
Nope! What the hell is this? Wow! Super interested in the gear in your cap. Is that self made or purchased somewhere? Super cool

Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam
Nope! What the hell is this? Wow! Super interested in the gear in your cap. Is that self made or purchased somewhere? Super cool
Ah, my friend, Liquid Steam. Well, the "carpet kit", as they call them, was purchased at SOCAL truck accessories. It's a Lee Anderson kit. This is the brand that made these famous. It was $500 and $300 freight to Colorado. They were super popular in the 80's and they are getting popular once again. These things are absolutely fantastic. I keep an electric chainsaw, 2 sleeping bags, 3 gallon water jug, 2 chairs, high lift jack, 2 sets of tire chains, utility chain, tool bag, small jack and safety cone, multi axe, extra clothes, fishing rod, lantern, stove, tarp and polls to erect, a winching anchor and all winching accessories, food, etc, etc, etc. I holds a LOT and it's not floating all over the place. Then those center panels can all be placed in the upper position and you have a comfortable bed for two. The compartments stay fully stocked all of the time. On a whim, I can stay in the outdoors for two nights, VERY comfortably!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti
Ah, my friend, Liquid Steam. Well, the "carpet kit", as they call them, was purchased at SOCAL truck accessories. It's a Lee Anderson kit. This is the brand that made these famous. It was $500 and $300 freight to Colorado. They were super popular in the 80's and they are getting popular once again. These things are absolutely fantastic. I keep an electric chainsaw, 2 sleeping bags, 3 gallon water jug, 2 chairs, high lift jack, 2 sets of tire chains, utility chain, tool bag, small jack and safety cone, multi axe, extra clothes, fishing rod, lantern, stove, tarp and polls to erect, a winching anchor and all winching accessories, food, etc, etc, etc. I holds a LOT and it's not floating all over the place. Then those center panels can all be placed in the upper position and you have a comfortable bed for two. The compartments stay fully stocked all of the time. On a whim, I can stay in the outdoors for two nights, VERY comfortably!
That is pretty slick. Your truck was the one that I first saw that made me want to shell mine.

Still looks awesome man. I really like that Lee Anderson Kit. Maybe I can send the wife some hints for Christmas this year.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 PM
cabman05
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adbscu
Anybody has one of these? Softopper

I'm planning on getting one has we have a GN trailer, but would still like the bed covered for travel and taking the dog around.

We have a Leer shell on our older truck and taking on/off was not bad, but storing in our garage was a PITA due to the size (especially since our garage is pretty small)
I have never seen one before today, it was on an f-150 and the back window was flapping around pretty good on the highway. I guess it would work okay but i have to say it was pretty goofy looking.