How difficult is it to change the right exhaust manifold? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How difficult is it to change the right exhaust manifold?

Old 04-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Senior User

iron1951 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How difficult is it to change the right exhaust manifold?

How difficult is it to change the passenger exhaust manifold? I have just finished replacing the left exhaust manifold. The biggest issue was rusted fasteners and inexperience. Have torches. Any you tube videos show the left manifold being changed but not the right. I do not have a hoist and work in my driveway. Is the right side more difficult and should I leave it to someone with a hoist? Please advise. Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Posting Guru

Restlesswildman is a name known to allRestlesswildman is a name known to allRestlesswildman is a name known to allRestlesswildman is a name known to allRestlesswildman is a name known to allRestlesswildman is a name known to all
You should be able to do it rather easy. Jack up the passenger side and take off the wheel.

Remove the inner wheel rubber flap.

Then start taking bolts of the manifold.

You might have to take the started out to drop the manifold out.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Elder User

xaviar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey iron1951,

If you don't mind? Post how hard it was to change.

I need to replace both gaskets on mine and would like any tips you come across.

Thx, Eddy
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Senior User

Xaviar, I can only speak for the driver's side (for now). The hard part was removing the bolts. My manifolds have never been off before. I used lots of heat on the 8 manifold bolts. I heated the head of the bolt and the spacers until they turned red. They came out and none broke. The hard part was the two bolts connected to the up pipe. Even if you get the nuts off, the shank of the bolts are rusted in. So I ended up cutting the bolts off. I used a dremel tool and a cut off wheel. The exhaust manifold will come off. I left a couple of bolts in so it would not fall on my head.

But you still have to get the remaining part of the bolts out of the up-pipe flange. The tool of choice here is the air chisel. I ended up removing the up-pipe to work on it. Of course the turbo had to come out. If I had to do it again, I would try to get the bolt heads out of the up-pipe flange without removing the up-pipe.

I replaced all bolts with new ones. I reused the spacers. My old exhaust manifold did not have a gasket but I put one in with my new exhaust manifold. I took two old bolts, cut the heads off and put a slot in them for a screw driver to make studs that I screwed into the head to help me position the gasket and exhaust manifold. The slots in the studs helps me get them out later.

Here is an interesting piece of information. The new exhaust manifold seemed heavier than the old one, so I weighted them. The old manifold weighed 6 lbs and the new manifold weighed 10-1/2 lbs. The new manifold was an after-market bought at Napa.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Senior User

I finally changed the passenger side exhaust manifold. I followed the directions given by Restlesswildman. He was right on the money. Did not have to remove the starter. The bolt just above the a/c compressor proved difficult because there was no direct line to the bolt. The a/c lines were in the way. With some perseverance and some ingenuity I got that lower bolt out and then back in.