2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Will the diesel F-150 be a sales success?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:30 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Now that I've thought about it for a bit, I'm inclined to agree with Frantz and David. I'm willing to bet that it might have a significant sales number for the first few months or so. After that, the sales will probably not be a significant part of the mix. Ford may keep it in the lineup just to skew the CAFE numbers. They might even lower the premium on it to keep the EPA happy WRT the fleet averages. IDK. I know for sure that I am _very_ happy with the performance and overall economy of the 3.5L EcoBoost that we have. I am not even slightly incented to consider the diesel.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Another way to look at it is that those that see use and value in a diesel F150 will say it will be a success....those that don't see value/use in a diesel F150 will say it's not going to be a success.

I tend to believe Ford. If they have done their market research, they will know very well how many they will sell. So, if they do go forward with it, then it means they see it adding value to the company (whether it is sales $$, CAFE requirements, Profits, market proliferation).

Old 04-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
It will have its buyers, just hope they make enough to keep with demand.
That's a good point... They could very well underestimate.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I have a feeling that one of the driving factors for the diesel is to satisfy large fleet buyers who have diesel only vehicles. I would imagine that many will be sold to mining or oilfield interests, who will delete the emissions so they can run red diesel fuel, and use them until they drop.

The other factor will probably be that a diesel f150 will probably be also sold as an export to countries who have a much higher demand for diesels. Think Australia or Russia.

The F150 being offered as a diesel to the general public will tell where demand is for them. Ford doesn't have much to loose here if my above predictions play out.

Disclaimer; As I've had to say before, this is all just speculation.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I think lots of folks underestimate how many of us would like a pickup that will consistently see mid-20's for fuel economy.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:52 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
When we went Jeep shopping with my daughter I asked the dealers about the diesel RAM & diesel Jeep. Every dealer said they sell them as fast as they get them. As far as the Ram goes they have demand for upper trim level EcoDiesel trucks but they just can't get them.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
I have a feeling that one of the driving factors for the diesel is to satisfy large fleet buyers who have diesel only vehicles. I would imagine that many will be sold to mining or oilfield interests, who will delete the emissions so they can run red diesel fuel, and use them until they drop.

The other factor will probably be that a diesel f150 will probably be also sold as an export to countries who have a much higher demand for diesels. Think Australia or Russia.

The F150 being offered as a diesel to the general public will tell where demand is for them. Ford doesn't have much to loose here if my above predictions play out.

Disclaimer; As I've had to say before, this is all just speculation.
There is no difference between taxed on-road and non-taxed Offroad diesel. Only railroads receive slightly different sulfer PPM than everyone else.

Josh

Old 04-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's my thing, remember when Ford could not produce Raptors fast enough back when it came out in 2010 and they had a large back log? That's what I'm thinking might happen, being optimistic though. It probably will be selling a lot more higher trim packages than XL and XLT, if we go by current sale numbers. I personally would buy one in the XLT or Lariat but nothing too exotic. I'd love to get mid 20s all day long without even trying even low 20s in town would make me a happy camper, beats the crap out of 14-16 MPG.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I think the engine would see it's biggest chance for success if it's offered in the Expedition as well. Think of it, a full size heavy SUV getting mid twenties to 30 on the freeway.

The ecoboost has already reinvigorated the Expedition. Ford will no doubt limit production to hold the price, a real turn off for me.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think the engine would see it's biggest chance for success if it's offered in the Expedition as well. Think of it, a full size heavy SUV getting mid twenties to 30 on the freeway.

The ecoboost has already reinvigorated the Expedition. Ford will no doubt limit production to hold the price, a real turn off for me.
I dunno, Tim...seven years ago people were predicting the same about the EcoBoost engine. I think it all depends on where they want the engine to be in the lineup, and with current EPA rules, a high-volume diesel engine may make sense.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 AM
windellmc
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins

The Expedition is probably too heavy for a 3.0L diesel to not feel like a slug. The Ecodiesel tends to feel that way and I think the Expedition is heavier.

Having owned an ecodiesel and a 2.7 Eboost there is not a huge difference in fuel economy. In fact I think they may be almost even in city driving. The ecodiesel I had got about 24mpg in my normal drive. I have not driven the 2.7 in the same weather yet but it looks like it will give me at least 21mpg on the same drive. There is no comparison in power the 2.7 blows away the Ecodiesel.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think Ford will make it any sort of special edition so comparing it to the Raptor seems silly to me. We have the diesel motor in the Transit and it's nothing special (and not overly desirable). Heck, a good chunk of the sprinter market we capture is because they don't want to deal with diesel motors anymore and Ford didn't have a high roof offering before 2015. The only reason Ford would have to limit the motors production is if they think it's stupid and are only catering to the type of guys I imagine are drooling for it (or perhaps drooling anyway and also excited for a diesel). While that would make me right, and I like being right, I have to think Ford sees a bigger market for the motor. The "Limited" F150s are limited production, and we sell them just like any other truck on our lot. I don't imagine much real pent up demand. Not too many customers in the show room have asked, and when I've mentioned it, no one has used that as a reason to wait. I know I'm in a bubble of my own market, but I think it's more of a "forum special" if you know what I mean.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 AM
CGiron
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by windellmc
There is no comparison in power the 2.7 blows away the Ecodiesel.
The new diesel in F-150 will have around 18 % better torque ( 443 vs 375 lb/ft) than the current 2.7l Ecoboost. HP-wise the 2.7 is better but it´s the torque that you drive. Mpg will be +30 for sure.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Franz, interesting comment about the commercial market. The company that is redoing our driveway and back patio is switching most of it's fleet to gas trucks. They were sold on the gas trucks after purchasing an F450 dump truck with the 6.2L.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 AM
windellmc
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CGiron
The new diesel in F-150 will have around 18 % better torque ( 443 vs 375 lb/ft) than the current 2.7l Ecoboost. HP-wise the 2.7 is better but it´s the torque that you drive. Mpg will be +30 for sure.
Torque at the wheels is what you drive. HP directly affects that. It is why we have multispeed transmissions. I had a 420ft-lb ecodiesel and the 2.7 feels like it has significantly more power. The ecodiesel even gets two extra gears in the transmission and the 2.7 still feels more powerful all the way around. We'll see about mpg but the ecodiesels seem to really be struggling with mileage with the latest ecu flashes from FCA.

Quick Reply: Will the diesel F-150 be a sales success?