2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Loaner F-250 King Ranch 6.7 vs 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeepPuller
I will admit this is an awesome truck. I do like the sound of the diesel, and if I keep driving it I'm likely to be pulled to the dark side. The power is remarkable and feels endless. I know I do not need it, but it sure is nice.

So far I am averaging 16.4 mpg; my 2011 w/6.2 was 13.2. This is not quite a 25% increase. Diesel is roughly 2.55 as of today and regular is 2.39; this is roughly a 10% increase. It does look like fuel costs will be less over time, but I'm still not swayed. Maintenance costs will likely make up the difference; at least this is what I am telling myself.

Tuesday cannot get here too soon.

Today's trip was 3 hours average 75. I decided to drive my usual habits to see how the mileage looks. It is still better as expected.

I think I still made the best decision for my needs going with a 6.2.

Come on Tuesday... lol
Lol keep telling yourself that
Once you drive a diesel it's really hard to go back
I know I've been there
I'm going to be buying a 2nd 2017 this summer and I keep telling my self all I need is a 6.2 but that 6.7 is just such a sweet Engine !!!!

Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Comparative data 6.7 vs 6.2

Just to add some anecdotal comparison. I have the new 2017 in signature. My brother in law, his buddy both have 2012 and 2014 6.2s. My truck has 8500 km, it's lifetime mileage is 15.1 liters per 100 km. Long distance highway between 100 km/hr and 115 km/hr I am as good as 12.9 l per 100 km.

For comparison, they are both also single wheel short box crews with 4.10 gearing. They both have rolling lifetime averages of 20 to 21 l per 100 km. Best highway being about 17. They are traveling similar empty highways to my tests in terms of hills, speed limits ect. They are both at over 65,000 km.

My truck isn't even broken in yet, and it's definately getting better.

Do yourself a favor and don't drive that diesel to much.

It's gonna cost ya.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:41 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Right no my Diesel is saving me money on fuel, our prices where I buy at is 3.05 for gas 2.49 for diesel, but in November when the new road reconstruction taxes go into effect, it will be higher, the excise tax will be going up by about 125% and the sales tax up by about .20/gal in California. They are hitting the diesel users harder.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Last trip complete

So we are back home after our 'last' trip with the loaner. Another 3 hours back and I'm around 16.7 'lifetime' mpg. I made full use of the 8' bed again to bring back the 'old' range and patio set to sell back home.

Name:  ae473c50-30c2-453b-b9f2-fc67eb16758c_zps7vyfgdza.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  113.7 KB

I'm likely going to miss the extra 18" most of all!

Family bladders are way smaller than the fuel tank, so we had a short stop.

First time, I noticed these...
Name:  IMG_1347_zpsm4uxpgjb.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  190.0 KB

This is off 95 about 2 miles north of the Delaware/MD state line.

I also took a shot of my dash to commemorate our last trip...
Name:  IMG_1348_zps0bvazthz.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  149.2 KB

After some evening errands I'm at 1,200 miles. If the plan holds, I'll have 'my' truck back in my driveway by Wednesday 4/26.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:53 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,435 Likes on 936 Posts
So we are back home after our 'last' trip with the loaner. Another 3 hours back and I'm around 16.7 'lifetime' mpg. I made full use of the 8' bed again to bring back the 'old' range and patio set to sell back home.

I'm likely going to miss the extra 18" most of all!

Family bladders are way smaller than the fuel tank, so we had a short stop.

i love how shes hanging out of the parking stall 2', i thought i was the only one ha ha

Old 04-24-2017, 07:06 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
i love how shes hanging out of the parking stall 2', i thought i was the only one ha ha
Yup, this is one long truck. I'm glad I did not have to haul any 8' lumber, plywood, and sheetrock. If I had, I would be even more 'into' this truck. As it stands I'm liking it a bit too much.

They need to hurry up and get my truck back to me before I say something stupid like "How much more for me to keep this truck?"

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
First time, I noticed these...

Yeah, we have "those" in my town at a grocery store. Money-laden liberals from Dartmouth College and surrounding areas have bought a (very) few of these...free power! While it lasts. If Tesla ever ends up being successful, you can bet plugging in will also require a swipe of the credit card for the green light to turn on...

Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by troverman
Yeah, we have "those" in my town at a grocery store. Money-laden liberals from Dartmouth College and surrounding areas have bought a (very) few of these...free power! While it lasts. If Tesla ever ends up being successful, you can bet plugging in will also require a swipe of the credit card for the green light to turn on...
It does require that for us Non Tesla owners. I.E. My wife Fusion Energi, although it is not very expensive, take 2 hours to recharge the car @$1.50/hr costs me more than that to charge it at home.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by troverman
Wait... that is free?! I was talking with my son about it and we both figured it was like a gas pump; you either paid inside or at the 'pump'.

Seems like the drug dealer approach... "First one's free!"

I have always enjoyed the hypocrisy of electric cars. Electricity is mostly fossil/nuclear, so your just shifting the pollution source not eliminating it. I am sure there are studies/arguments to be made that demonstrate my position is flawed, but it is how I look at it.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Wait... that is free?! I was talking with my son about it and we both figured it was like a gas pump; you either paid inside or at the 'pump'.

I have always enjoyed the hypocrisy of electric cars. Electricity is mostly fossil/nuclear, so your just shifting the pollution source not eliminating it. I am sure there are studies/arguments to be made that demonstrate my position is flawed, but it is how I look at it.
probably for most of the country it is Fossil/Nuclear, In california we use mostly hydoelectric form other states, so we steal their water to make our power lol, also our big news here Woohoo (sarc) we had one day where 50% of our power was made from renewable resources, wind, solar, for a WHOLE 3 hours. Now they want to destroy the enviroment in another state to build a huge wind farm for our state. Don't get me started on this "green power" their are other things destroyed for it.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by wb6anp
probably for most of the country it is Fossil/Nuclear, In california we use mostly hydoelectric form other states, so we steal their water to make our power lol, also our big news here Woohoo (sarc) we had one day where 50% of our power was made from renewable resources, wind, solar, for a WHOLE 3 hours. Now they want to destroy the enviroment in another state to build a huge wind farm for our state. Don't get me started on this "green power" their are other things destroyed for it.
Not to California-bash, but....

Your water comes from Colorado; you power from other states too. How can CAL-EXIT work?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:29 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts

Yeah, it is free for now.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Odd how we've migrated from a truck thread to one about electric luxury cars.

Interesting to read Jeep Puller's impressions with the two different engines, but I'm a little surprised his fuel economy isn't a bit better. The common theme seems to be the '17s are a bit thirstier than the previous gen, which I still have a tough time wrapping my head around. My '11 would get 18.5-19 consistently on the highway.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tom
Odd how we've migrated from a truck thread to one about electric luxury cars.

Interesting to read Jeep Puller's impressions with the two different engines, but I'm a little surprised his fuel economy isn't a bit better. The common theme seems to be the '17s are a bit thirstier than the previous gen, which I still have a tough time wrapping my head around. My '11 would get 18.5-19 consistently on the highway.
Thanks for pulling me 'back' on topic...

Is there truth to mileage getting better after a break-in period? If so, then these numbers may get better over time. Now, I'm driving in the 70-75 speed range, so mpg drops on both motors at these speeds.

If I'm being honest with myself, the comparison has been less about the benefits of the diesel and more about the 'few' option differences. The cool factor aside the diesel is more than I need; I also feel the cost benefit is not there for me with a diesel. Any interest I have in the loaner truck is likely more from length of time with it vs. realized benefits of it.

Mostly I want my truck back and to put this behind me. I used the loaner for all I could and now it is time to move on with my truck and start enjoying it.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Is there truth to mileage getting better after a break-in period? If so, then these numbers may get better over time. Now, I'm driving in the 70-75 speed range, so mpg drops on both motors at these speeds.
Yeah, I think there is some truth to it, but it's not huge. My '11 6.7L with 3.55s would get 18-19 consistently on highway trips from when I drove it off the lot seven years ago. The 400/800 flash didn't make any meaningful impact on fuel economy, but perhaps the later configurations for '15 and '17 reduced efficiency somehow. I find it tough to believe the all-new body would be any less aerodynamic.

Quick Reply: Loaner F-250 King Ranch 6.7 vs 6.2